Things you wished you would have known before building your first pc?

VicRik
11 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

You'll fill up a tiny drive faster than larger one.  

If you can afford it I'd suggest at least a 250GB for an OS drive.  Preferably Samsung (850 pro if possible since it'll last a very long time but 850 EVO is still good too and will last plenty long too.)

Also, make sure you have needed tools: a 3/16 inch nut driver for the motherboard standoff screws and a #2 head Phillips screwdriver and some short zip ties for helping with cable management.  

It took me 3 whole days to upgrade my first computer (bought as a prebuilt) because I was missing needed things like those tools and had to stop for the day twice because somehow I kept realizing what I needed but didn't have AFTER stores were closed.  ?

My dad has a giant toolcase so that shouldn't be a problem, thanks for the information though!

8 hours ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

LOL I got an 850 Pro in Newegg for about CAD150-175 (almost same price as the 850 EVO) right after I got an 850 EVO.  Ended up buying that one, and put the 850 EVO in my laptop.

That's a nice buy.  ?

8 hours ago, VicRik said:

My dad has a giant toolcase so that shouldn't be a problem, thanks for the information though!

That's good.  Though I'd ask him about the nut driver just to be safe.  I'm not an expert on tools so I have no idea how common it might be to have a nut driver or at least the correct size.  

Motherboard standoff screws are hex shaped so a nut driver is a life saver trust me.  lol

I wish I knew what peak and continious wattage was.......

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

5 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

That's a nice buy.  ?

That's good.  Though I'd ask him about the nut driver just to be safe.  I'm not an expert on tools so I have no idea how common it might be to have a nut driver or at least the correct size.  

Motherbosrd standoff screws are hex shaped so a nut driver is a life saver trust me.  lol

I'll confirm, thanks!

Does that mean you got a PSU with a too low amount of watts? If so, how much did you keep as a buffer?

Never build or work on a computer in front of the client if at all possible! :)

So many young posters...

I wish I knew what stuff was when I built my first computer. I was given a box of parts from a neighbor, back when the fastest computers on the market were 486 systems and 4MB of ram was a lot.  I sorted cards (yes, lets of them...) by port type (VGA, sound, modem, which I learned later) and by ISA/PCI (names learned later) and motherboards by what they looked like.

Actually got a system working... surprisingly.  Back before CPU coolers existed and so glad I didn't pull random jumpers

that the 700 series was literally a month away.

Nothing to see here, move along

Don't buy a CPU that bottlenecks your GPU

I wish I knew that I wasn't going to give two shits about throwing much more in my rig hardware wise with the current components.

So much wasted space... I wish I went with mATX or ITX...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I thought all CPU's were compatible with all sockets
I also thought that all PSUs were the same length

I also thought that 750W PSU's were pretty standard and not overkill for one 1080 and a 6600k

Needless to say, I was stupid.

I wish I got the 6600k since it's overclockable... Now I am stuck with this i5-6500...

I also wish I waited a day later to buy the GTX 770 off someone else, because 4 GBs of VRAM would soon be a requirement...

@KayTees' Little Brother

My PC: Stepping Stones (2019)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B360 HD3

RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB (2x4) Black DDR4-2133GHz

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB

Case: Thermaltake View 27
Storage: SanDisk 2.5" 128GB SSD | Western Digital 3.5" 1TB HDD

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Displays: LG 27GL63TBenQ GW2270 21.5"

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ Cherry MX Red Switches & 2010 Razer Blackwidow w/ Cherry MX Blues Switches

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Headset: V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 LTSC

Last updated: August 10, 2020 at 2:10 PM

Mobile Devices:

Spoiler

Phone: OnePlus 7 Pro Almond (OnePlus GM1917)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" (SM-T330NU)

Previous Phones: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910W8), OnePlus 5T (OnePlus A5010), OnePlus 6 (OnePlus A6003)

PCPartsPicker:

Spoiler

PCPartsPicker Link: http://tiny.cc/KenTees

Last updated: April 23, 2019 at 2:00 PM

Don't fuck with the CPU voltage and multi jumpers if you're not an advanced user. 

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

Don't buy an FX8320 for rendering...

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

On 2/4/2017 at 8:01 PM, PCGuy_5960 said:

That in X99 boards one side is upside down xD

please explain?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

I should not have been afraid to get used parts. Many of the brands like EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus base their warranty by serial number so you still get warranty even if you buy used and you save a ton of money. I buy most of my parts used now. 

6 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

please explain?

He probably means when you put the cpu in the motherboard, the words on the cpu end up being upsidedown. 

1 minute ago, NannerBeans said:

He probably means when you put the cpu in the motherboard, the words on the cpu end up being upsidedown. 

ahhh

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

8 hours ago, NannerBeans said:

I should not have been afraid to get used parts. Many of the brands like EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus base their warranty by serial number so you still get warranty even if you buy used and you save a ton of money. I buy most of my parts used now. 

I actually made another post about used parts XD. Do you mean by that, that you don't even need a receipt? (I don't know whether that is the right word so I hope you know what I mean)

How many bloody new/different connectors there were on motherboards now a days. As someone that used to work mostly inside pre-2008 hardware. Putting together a computer in 2016 was not fun.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex GX1, Intel Pentium 3 @ 450MHz, 128MB PC133 RAM, Windows 98 Second Edition, Office 97' Professional

9 hours ago, VicRik said:

I actually made another post about used parts XD. Do you mean by that, that you don't even need a receipt? (I don't know whether that is the right word so I hope you know what I mean)

For certain brands yes, you do not need a receipt to use the warranty. 

- That you didn't need a 760W power supply for a 4690K + single GPU.

- That I didn't need a small PC and could have gone for an mATX or ATX config.

- That I didn't need a liquid cooler.

- That I wasn't ever going to overclock anything.

- That it's not worth spending £40 on extra fans.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?