Does Spray Painting a Heatsink Void Warranty?

Exprima

I'm interested in getting a Plextor M8PE NVMe SSD but I'm not a big fan of the red accent on the otherwise nice looking heatsink. If I spray paint it will it void the SSD's warranty? Also is there a way I can do the spray painting without detaching the heatsink from the PCB?

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

2 minutes ago, Exprima said:

I'm interested in getting a Plextor M8PE NVMe SSD but I'm not a big fan of the red accent on the otherwise nice looking heatsink. If I spray paint it will it void the SSD's warranty? Also is there a way I can do the spray painting without detaching the heatsink from the PCB?

Im pretty sure that any disassembly of the card will void. But i might be wrong

3 minutes ago, be_x said:

Im pretty sure that any disassembly of the card will void. But i might be wrong

So if I don't disassemble the card it should be fine? Like can I just use painter's tape and use plasti-dip? Is plasti-dip even safe for this?

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

Just now, Exprima said:

So if I don't disassemble the card it should be fine? Like can I just use painter's tape and use plasti-dip? Is plasti-dip even safe for this?

mmmmmaybe? haha i wish i was more experienced in this. Maybe contact the company themselves

1 minute ago, be_x said:

mmmmmaybe? haha i wish i was more experienced in this. Maybe contact the company themselves

Lol that's probably what I'll do but I rather not if I could avoid it. I don't mind the red accent too much, at least it's not LED.

the paint could interfere with the heatsink's ability to dissipate heat. If the thing dies because it overheated, you will not get Plextor to send you a replacement.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

masking / painters tape to mask off areas you dont want paint getting into

Photography / Finance / Gaming

@knightslugger But if it's not an overheating issue will it matter?

@mok If I don't wanna use plasti dip can I use this?

1 minute ago, Exprima said:

@knightslugger But if it's not an overheating issue will it matter?

@mok If I don't wanna use plasti dip can I use this?

Depends on the failure. Any modification to the product could have negative effects to other parts and cause a failure, but that is for Plextor to prove, not you.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Most companies will not honor any warranty if you alter their product in any way. How will you be able to prove that any modification you did, did not in some small way create the problems that you might experience. In most situations any custom work will void a warranty.

9 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Depends on the failure. Any modification to the product could have negative effects to other parts and cause a failure, but that is for Plextor to prove, not you.

But if it's plasti dip can't I just rub it off before I send it in? :P

Also might as well ask, how do you like your M8PE?

@lieder1987 but if I use Plasti-Dip that shouldn't be an issue, right? The question is Plasti Dip safe for these things?

21 minutes ago, Exprima said:

But if it's plasti dip can't I just rub it off before I send it in? :P

depends on how well vulcanized it is to the metal... so maybe, maybe not. i certainly wouldn't use rubber for a paint. I'd use an enamel.

Dude, this thing friggin RIPS. I want to get a second in 1TB as PCIe riser card as my steam library.

System specs:

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

depends on how well vulcanized it is to the metal... so maybe, maybe not. i certainly wouldn't use rubber for a paint. I'd use an enamel.

Dude, this thing friggin RIPS. I want to get a second in 1TB as PCIe riser card as my steam library.

Ah true, seems like a lot of trouble lol. I might just keep it the way it is, like I said at least it doesn't glow. I think I'm gonna get a 512gb one for my OS and a 2tb SATA SSD for games.

4 minutes ago, Exprima said:

and a 2tb SATA SSD for games.

what are you thinking of getting? i'm at a crossroads of storage capacity and sheer speed.

The age old dilemma: Do i want a truck, or a race car?

System specs:

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

what are you thinking of getting? i'm at a crossroads of storage capacity and sheer speed.

Do i want a truck, or a race car?

Crucial MX300

Not a bad price for a 2tb SSD imo.

9 minutes ago, Exprima said:

Crucial MX300

Not a bad price for a 2tb SSD imo.

1/2 the cost for double the capacity but 1/3rd the IOPS...

why does SATA have to suck so bad?

System specs:

18 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

1/2 the cost for double the capacity but 1/3rd the IOPS...

why does SATA have to suck so bad?

In practice for most consumer use cases, they won't see the difference between NVMe and SATA anyway. The jump from an HDD to a SATA SSD is noticeable. The jump from a SATA SSD to an NVME one is not.

You'll be fine plastidipping since it can be removed easily if you needed to RMA in the future.