Is 8GB of ram enough for 1080p gaming?

Is 8GB of ram enough for 1080p gaming?   

32 members have voted

1. 1. Is 8GB of ram enough for 1080p gaming?

• Yes, 8GB is fine
    • No, Do 16GB
    • Yes 8GB is fine, as long as you are not playing AAA titles at max settings.

Want to make my first PC with 8GB of ram. Dat ok?

Will use it for mild 1080p gaming.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

It's so cheap why not just get the 16gbs 

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

5 hours ago, Fluffinator said:

I'm on a very strict buget.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

My build:

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

1 minute ago, Fluffinator said:

8 gb is enough for gaming at 1080p but if you can afford a bit more 16 gb of ram is a must for a modern machine. 

1 minute ago, King_of_Oz said:

I'm on a very strict buget.

Then get one 8gb stick now and if you need more get another.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

5 hours ago, Fluffinator said:

Then get one 8gb stick now and if you need more get another.

Yeah, thats what i would do. Thanks for the advice.

also,

My build:

5 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

whats your budget 

850$ CAN before tax.

also,

My build:

Yeah, thats what i would do. Thanks for the advice.

the bad thing is that ram prices are already inflated but the canadian dollar is the exact opposite :P 

5 hours ago, gtx1060=value said:

the bad thing is that ram prices are already inflated but the canadian dollar is the exact opposite :P 

yeah a single 8gb ddr3 ram I found 'cheap' on amazon are already around ~50 cad and up

5 hours ago, gtx1060=value said:

Yes. Exactly.

also,

My build:

1 minute ago, mok said:

to call something cheap is subjective

You missed the entire point, it would be like buying a medium beverage and saying a large is cheap relative to the medium price. For not much more you can get twice as much.

6 minutes ago, Fluffinator said:

You missed the entire point, it would be like buying a medium beverage and saying a large is cheap relative to the medium price. For not much more you can get twice as much.

your point was poorly worded 

instead of saying cheap, it would be more appropriate to say 16gb ram is a great value atm

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1 minute ago, mok said:

your point was poorly worded 

instead of saying cheap, it would be more appropriate to say 16gb ram is a great value atm

sigh..... lol you still don't get it anyway stop arguing with people in a thread that's trying to help someone.

staying on topic...

8GB ram is "enough", while 16GB would be best described as "comfortable"

going to work in a lada niva is "enough" to get you there, a mercedes C class would be "comfortable".

--

i recommend you go 16GB if you can fit it in the budget, if not, "prepare" to upgrade to 16GB in the near future.

You won't see any difference in terms of gaming performance between 8 and 16GB, BUT you will notice some slow down if you're alt-tabbing a lot while playing a game with other apps opened with 8GB. With a couple of tabs opened in Chrome, Discord and a demanding game, I can get past 8GB quite frequently. Windows will dynamically adapt RAM consumption based on what you have, of course, but your OS might be a bit less responsive. Like everyone said, if you can, 16GB is the best, but 8GB won't hinder your gaming performance

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

5 hours ago, manikyath said:

staying on topic...

8GB ram is "enough", while 16GB would be best described as "comfortable"

going to work in a lada niva is "enough" to get you there, a mercedes C class would be "comfortable".

--

i recommend you go 16GB if you can fit it in the budget, if not, "prepare" to upgrade to 16GB in the near future.

You are an analogy ninja, my friend.

also,

My build:

You are an analogy ninja, my friend.

i deal with the kind of people who need an explanation on the difference between a laptop and a tablet with a keyboard cover, its required knowledge :P

Unless your playing one of the few games that hogs as much ram as possable then you should be fine. I would recommend upgrading or adding a kit at some point later.

i deal with the kind of people who need an explanation on the difference between a laptop and a tablet with a keyboard cover, its required knowledge :P

I understand. I imagine you got you analogy degree at Harvard or MIT?

also,

My build:

I understand. I imagine you got you analogy degree at Harvard or MIT?

it started with explaining the difference between an arduino and a raspberry pi to my programming teacher :D

it started with explaining the difference between an arduino and a raspberry pi to my programming teacher :D

LOL! (I have a pi 2 model b)

also,

My build:

8GB is fine but nowadays its a lil limiting where multitasking is concerned. I run up to 7.7GB with couple of Chrome tabs open while I play GTA5. Its a bitch when the system locks up on you at this point and just black screens. So if you like that flexibility while you game I'd say 16GB is the way to go now but playing a game no multitasking with other windows, 8GB is more than enough

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

I'd vote Yes: Other.

Other: Yes as long as you're fine with shutting down everything else you're doing. I've noticed some games either due to processor or ram don't like my usual style of playing the game while watching youtube on a secondary monitor because well you know...Chrome being Chrome.

But some other games run just fine so I'll postpone for a bit, wait for zen and all.

-------

Current Rig

-------