Senator blasts NSA for spending too much time 'collecting data on innocent Americans'

Youbetternot

Looks like the Senators are against the NSA. Leahy says "I am particularly concerned that the NSA has strayed and overreached beyond its core missions," and adding: "one important step toward rebuilding that trust would be for the NSA to spend less of its time collecting data on innocent Americans, and more on keeping our nation’s secrets safe and holding its own accountable." I totally agree in that statement. 

It also seems like everyone is blasting the NSA

t1larg.patrick-leahy-speech.t1larg.jpg

Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT) has been a vocal critic of the NSA's sweeping surveillance of phone and internet records since the first round of leaks about the secret programs occurred last summer. But today, Leahy unleashed his most blistering assessment of the NSA, saying in a statement, "I am particularly concerned that the NSA has strayed and overreached beyond its core missions," and adding: "one important step toward rebuilding that trust would be for the NSA to spend less of its time collecting data on innocent Americans, and more on keeping our nation’s secrets safe and holding its own accountable."

In order to try and help rebuild the lost trust, Leahy announced a new hearing for November 20th, asking both NSA director General Keith Alexander and his boss, director of National Intelligence James Clapper, to testify. Both Alexander and Clapper have appeared in numerous hearings since the summer but have consistently defended the NSA's surveillance programs, evading questions about the NSA's own admitted misconduct. Unfortunately, it's highly likely that this hearing will surface anything new, nor will it on its own affect change within the NSA. Plus, the Senate intelligence committee just passed a continuing NSA funding, and another "reform" bill it passed last week didn't offer any substantive restrictions on NSA surveillance.

source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/6/5074766/senator-leahy-nsa-may-have-strayed-and-overreached

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Give_that_man_a_cookie.jpg

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

There's no way this has anything to do with reelection...

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

QRuOxI1.png

Soon my boy soon, The NSA can be wipe off the face of the earth

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

^^^^^^

Elections....saying whatever the public wants to hear....

Politicians never lie...

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

I love the way innocent Americans is always used in these statements because its perfectly ok for America to spy on the rest of the world  :rolleyes:

The only difference between a politician and a criminal in patience . A criminal will try to take everything immediately where as a politician known to take it one small piece at a time

Can anonymous do anything against the NSA because if so that would be pretty cool...

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

The senate incumbent victory rate is hardly higher than it is in the House. If he hasn't pissed anyone off he can shove a thumb up his ass and not care either way.

Error: 410

[3 days later]

CNN:

"Senator Patrick Leahy is missing. He left from his office and never got home. FBI and NSA are on the case."

Like all those polititian will scream and shout and nothing will change...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

If one day NSA dies, I hope they sell all their thousands hard drives on ebay, they are gonna be cheap!

He's just trying to appeal to the Americans that are pissed off about the spying.

But anyways, the more people in Gov. that go against the NSA, the better it is for the public.

Follow me on Twitter!

Technology Journalist at TechnologyTell, NextPowerUp, and others.