PC gaming controls VS console

Syphno

I have been a console gamer my entire life always had a controller in my hand. Later this month I will be on the PC for my very first time and I'm just trying to get advice on how difficult it is at first to switch? and owning an Xbox 1 elite controller does keyboard and mouse still offer an advantage? My button configurations for most games I play are set so I do not have to take my fingers off the joysticks, couldn't I get an adapter and keep using the controller?  I know nothing so I want to ear anybodys input

8 minutes ago, Syphno said:

I have been a console gamer my entire life always had a controller in my hand. Later this month I will be on the PC for my very first time and I'm just trying to get advice on how difficult it is at first to switch? and owning an Xbox 1 elite controller does keyboard and mouse still offer an advantage? My button configurations for most games I play are set so I do not have to take my fingers off the joysticks, couldn't I get an adapter and keep using the controller?  I know nothing so I want to ear anybodys input

I believe your controller will work with the PC, but you'll need the wireless adapter or you could connect the USB cable to the PC.

Also, bear in mind that some games might not work with the controller. But most will. As for the difference, I think there is a difference between KB+M vs Controller. It'll be different, not difficult. :) You'll get used to it within a week or so. 

Just out of curiosity, is there are reason you're getting a PC? :PxD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

8 minutes ago, Syphno said:

Most games will support your controller now mate, or at least new ones will, you just need to plug it in to a USB port and let windows install the drivers

in terms of ease of transition, really not that hard, will take you a week to learn the basic layout of a keyboard and have your fingers sitting in the right places

and then if you don't like a particular layout for a game at least you can change it to whatever you want so it all falls under your one hand 

hope that helps

3 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

I believe your controller will work with the PC, but you'll need the wireless adapter or you could connect the USB cable to the PC.

Also, bear in mind that some games might not work with the controller. But most will. As for the difference, I think there is a difference between KB+M vs Controller. It'll be different, not difficult. :) You'll get used to it within a week or so. 

Because he's obviously seen the light ;) 

1 minute ago, Craigathorn said:

Because he's obviously seen the light ;) 

Lord Gaben has sent him a message. "Join us or we will DESTROY YOU, PEASANT"  :D

/s /jk

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

If you are playing multiplayer competitive you will get crushed by other people with mouse and kb, because they can be more precise more quickly.  If you try a little bit of both, thats fine.  Only main controller on single-player games.

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

keyboard and mouse have higher accuracy and lower reaction times than with controllers in general. they also have a lot more customization with button mapping and macro's etc. you can still use your controller. controllers are preferable for things like driving and flying or operating machines because they often benefit of granular speeds and steering while first person doesn't really benefit from it. but a controller won't beat a steering wheel with pedals etc or a joystick with pedals etc.

I made Pc my preferred platform in very late 2014. At the time I still preferred using controllers whenever possible. The thing that made me use KB+M was when I bought the Mass Effect trilogy on origins, and came to find there was no controller support. I spent a good while looking around online to find some kind of controller mod before saying fuck it and learning to use KB+M with it, now that's the only way I could play that series. By 2016 I mostly use KB+M in most cases. My best bro does kind of annoy me when it comes to that stuff. I got him into Pc gaming in early 2015, and he plays his pc more than his ps4 now, which goes months between uses. However he still never touches the KB+M, whenever he does buy an older game that doesn't have support for controller and once he realizes that he just requests a refund from valve.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

34 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

If you are playing multiplayer competitive you will get crushed by other people with mouse and kb, because they can be more precise more quickly.  If you try a little bit of both, thats fine.  Only main controller on single-player games.

if you automatically get crushed using a controller against M+KB people, then why do i do just as good if not better with a controller, and still manage to compete with those using M+KB and on occasion beat them

1 hour ago, Abdul201588 said:

I want to be able to game more freely, GAMES  on console are pretty restrictive! I also want to start streaming on Twitch and play some H1Z1

1 hour ago, Syphno said:

Well, first of all, you can use your Xbox pad basically anytime you want as a matter of personal preference. There are some games that really reward one input method over the other, but in most games where you aren't competing against someone else there isn't a "wrong" choice. The vast majority of games on PC today support your Xbox pad, and many even support hot-swapping between the gamepad and keyboard & mouse during gameplay.

Analog and digital control both have their own strengths and weaknesses. I think I can get away with saying a mouse is objectively better for quickly turning and aiming at a pixel on your screen at a moment's notice, whereas having 360° of analog stick movement is really important in some other kinds of games. Personally I use my controller for many platformers, racing/driving/flying games, and third-person action games that do not regularly expect me to aim at things precisely.

What are those little keypads I see people using when playing games like The Division' or Battlefield 1? are they better to use then a standard size KB? I think I'm just going balls to the wall and just ditch the controller and learn the ways of KB+M when I watch it being done however I get this awkward feeling, it does not look right to me. lol

I have my xbox one controller either hooked up directly to my PC or using their wireless dongle (not needed with the Bluetooth S controller version). I love playing with the controller over the m+kb. If a game doesnt support controller even partially I seriously have to think about buying it.

Like others have said though ALMOST everything that comes out these days has built in Xbox controller layout input.

I got into PC gaming due to the cost savings from game to game. I can normally pick up a copy of the new release game within a couple weeks or less for 20-40% off. If you go with the console version you have a much harder time finding savings until much much later.

TLDR: do whatever is most comfortable for you

I find it depends on the game and what makes more sense. For example, I cannot play games where you control a plane with a keyboard and mouse. It makes no flipping sense in my mind. I used to play racing games as well with a keyboard, but then I switched to a controller because analog steering (or in the case of the F1 games I sometimes play, analog accelerator/brake pedals) is a nice thing to have. I also like using a controller for a lot of third person, open world games like GTA or Saints Row, because movement feels better when I'm not stuck at 8 directions.

So a controller offering an "advantage" depends on whether or not it the control scheme makes sense to you.

I was a console gamer from 1993 to 2013. My last console was the ps4. The move to pc was a challenge for about a week, getting used to keyboard and mouse, don't be put off by it though, put in the effort to get used to it and you will be rewarded.
I use mouse and keyboard in FPS games and 3rd person shooters like gta. I prefer the accuracy of driving whilst shooing with a mouse, though that game does allow you to use mouse and keyboard along with a controller at the same time, so you can just switch when you want/ need.

I use controller for racing games (Sometimes a wheel) and thrid person platform games, along with 2d side scrollers.
To put it blunt, in shooting games you will be at a dis advantage online using a controller, but being at a dis advantage doesn't mean you will constantly get recked, unless maybe you're on csgo.

Trust me though, as a console gamer for 20 years, it's worth that little bit of time (in my case, about a week or two) to get used to pc gaming.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

25 minutes ago, Syphno said:

What are those little keypads I see people using when playing games like The Division' or Battlefield 1? are they better to use then a standard size KB? I think I'm just going balls to the wall and just ditch the controller and learn the ways of KB+M when I watch it being done however I get this awkward feeling, it does not look right to me. lol

Is this what you saw?

I don't really know what the argument is for those—comfort, maybe? Whatever the case, you can buy a full mechanical keyboard (and a pretty nice one at that) for those prices, and I don't think they're very popular as a result. I've never actually seen one in person to try, though.

3 minutes ago, typographie said:

Is this what you saw?

I don't really know what the argument is for those—comfort, maybe? Whatever the case, you can buy a beautiful real mechanical keyboard for those prices, and I don't think they're very popular as a result. I've never actually seen one in person to try, though.

I was tempted by one myself when I came to PC. I think it's just because so many keys on the keyboard overwhelm you at first.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

1 hour ago, typographie said:

Is this what you saw?

I don't really know what the argument is for those—comfort, maybe? Whatever the case, you can buy a full mechanical keyboard (and a pretty nice one at that) for those prices, and I don't think they're very popular as a result. I've never actually seen one in person to try, though.

That's it, I see a couple people use those every now and then

5 hours ago, Syphno said:

It might be a little weird for a console gamer like you to use mouse and keyboard to game on for the first time but eventually you will get the hang of it, it is really not that difficult...On shooters and RTS you will be much more precise with your mouse and keyboard...Though for driving games or games that require a lot of button-mash comboing (dynasty warriors 8 XL for example), your controller will come in handy

For your xbox one elite controller, you should be able to simply plug in your xbox one charger to your pc and it should instantly be detected by windows

4 hours ago, WolfoftheShadow7465 said:

if you automatically get crushed using a controller against M+KB people, then why do i do just as good if not better with a controller, and still manage to compete with those using M+KB and on occasion beat them

Pics/videos or it didn't happen jk

Maybe because you are one of the few who are actually good with a controller on a pc game (depending on what you are playing)I saw a guy wreck people on dota and LOL with a ps4 controller lulz..But m+kb people will pretty much wreck 3.5/4 of the controller community due to being precise, that is the fact here 

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Welcome to the #PCMR.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO