Australian Telco Telstra rolling out GbE capable LTE wireless broadband.

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/telstra-s-lte-network-10-times-faster-than-the-nbn-062521633.html

And so Australia will soon catch up to Linus' internet download speeds, when the new towers are deployed. Here's the device, a Netgear MR1100:

http://www.netgear.com.au/landings/nighthawk-mr1100-mobile-router/?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

• Max 1 Gbps download speeds & 150 Mbps upload speeds
• LTE CAT 16, LTE Advanced 4-band CA, 4x4 MIMO
• Up to 4X Carrier Aggregation
• LTE/4G 700/900/1800/2100/2600 MHz

Physical Specifications

• Dimensions: 105.5 (L) x 105.5 (W) x 20.35 (H) mm
• Weight: 240 g (with battery)
• Battery: 5040mAh for up to 24 hours of use

Edited by LunaP0n3

Cool but not going to be intrested for a few reasons:

Telstra's reliability is awful.

Their Coverage is beated by Vodafone in alot of areas.

Data Caps haven't and don't seem like they are going to increase enough to make that kind of speed worth while.

The locations where you could even think about getting those speeds available would be heavily congested meaning you don't get them

And Fibre could easily blow it out of the water if it was being deployed by NBN Co

Edit: Also Linus' Internet speeds are 1gbps/1gbps not 1gbps/150mbps

that upload speed is a let down. how are they going to roll out mobile broadband plans? I get a 4G connection with 100GB a month for $52 from my provider in NZ

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

6 minutes ago, gibbsy81 said:

Edit: Also Linus' Internet speeds are 1gbps/1gbps not 1gbps/150mbps

That's right. Still, it's a big light for the future of cellular data. It's impressive that they can get such speeds over radio waves.

1 minute ago, it_dont_work said:

So that's what they've been doing for the last 8 months instead of fixing my phone line.

they fixed your phone line they just get off on messing with you. Its a big conspiracy youtube hasn't published yet. All the telco workers are in on it.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

that upload speed is a let down. how are they going to roll out mobile broadband plans? I get a 4G connection with 100GB a month for $52 from my provider in NZ

I pay $85 for 14.5GB. Telstra is the only carrier that actually reaches to my rural location.

2 minutes ago, LunaP0n3 said:

I pay $85 for 14.5GB. Telstra is the only carrier that actually reaches to my rural location.

i thought i had to stretch it with 100GB

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

they fixed your phone line they just get off on messing with you. Its a big conspiracy youtube hasn't published yet. All the telco workers are in on it.

well we are talking about workers from a company that dug up part of old Melbourne cemetery, found remains and proceeded to just put them a little deeper in the trench before running cables.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i thought i had to stretch it with 100GB

What sort of DL/UL speed you get?

7 minutes ago, LunaP0n3 said:

Have you seen the new plans

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/home-wireless-broadband

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/mobile-broadband/plans#BYO

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/home-wireless-broadband#Two

I Do not recommend Telstra cause i hate their attitude and what they stand for but it sounds like they are your only option.

Edit: Have you considered MVMO's of Telstra Such as Woolworths Mobile or Boost?

1 minute ago, LunaP0n3 said:

What sort of DL/UL speed you get?

Internet is always crap in NZ coz the cable over the pacific costs so much. The 4G modem is a bit faster than ADSL but not as fast as fibre. Connections to overseas and gaming servers have the same awful ping.

heres a speedtest.net that i just did now from my laptop connected via wifi

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 00.36.00.png

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

6 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

well we are talking about workers from a company that dug up part of old Melbourne cemetery, found remains and proceeded to just put them a little deeper in the trench before running cables.

they are prob not paid enough to care. I dont know how much they really earn but a saw mill was recently reported to have foreign contractors that earn $3 an hour. Back when Telecom NZ was around one of the technicians told me they get less than a bus driver

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

This is Telstra the costs of using this service will be astronomical.

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.

5 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Internet is always crap in NZ coz the cable over the pacific costs so much. The 4G modem is a bit faster than ADSL but not as fast as fibre. Connections to overseas and gaming servers have the same awful ping.

that's a high ping but good dl and upload speeds.

by comparison, from my laptop (Elitebook 2570p with a Dell Wireless 1510/AirPort card under OSX)

and super close to the router, I get this:

6015683697.png

my dad has NBN but at my mum's where I usually am ADSL is all we can get. dad's gets 5ms/35-40dl/15-20ul from same server

idk

The issue with using 4G for any sort of decent connection is that unless you're on a business plan and have had specific changes made to the account, you don't get a public IP address. You end up behind class A NAT in a 10.x.x.x range from Telstra. This means trouble for quite a lot of services. Port forwarding will work but only with the Telstra/Netgear dock, not with a 3rd party router.

23 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Rolling out this service is quite easy - they simply put the antennas on the tower. Most towers already have the bandwidth going to them and for those that don't, they're just P2P linked anyway.

12 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Looking at these forums make me realise just how bad my internet is ? You're here moaning about this, but where I live in Birmingham, U.K. They haven't cables fibre and there's no 4G alternative so I'm stuck with 18Mbps DL and 0.7Mbps UL ??

and thats considered "good" by our providers! :( 

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

by comparison, from my laptop (Elitebook 2570p with a Dell Wireless 1510/AirPort card under OSX)

6015683697.png

my dad has NBN but at my mum's where I usually am ADSL is all we can get. dad's gets 5ms/35-40dl/15-20ul from same server

yea the telecom/spark 4G network is the most reliable in NZ but I have never seen a mobile or residential ADSL internet connection get good ping. The only place iv seen good ping is in an industrial area on a sunday when business was closed. If i run my own game server I can get good pings from mates in other NZ cities, anything that goes overseas or competes with other internet users gets punished. They kind of increased our population without thinking about infrastructure 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

8 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

6015683697.png

I'm glad to see we're in the same boat brother, I'm desperate for that fibre connection just for the upload speeds :(

3 minutes ago, Craigathorn said:

I'm glad to see we're in the same boat brother, I'm desperate for that fibre connection just for the upload speeds :(

I can get Cable, but:

A) it'll be stuck downstairs where the internet is bad as fuck since walls are thick

B) No U/L speed improvements because it's literally the same

idk

1 minute ago, Craigathorn said:

Looking at these forums make me realise just how bad my internet is ? You're here moaning about this, but where I live in Birmingham, U.K. They haven't cables fibre and there's no 4G alternative so I'm stuck with 18Mbps DL and 0.7Mbps UL ??

and thats considered "good" by our providers! :( 

that depends on what I'm doing. internet gaming can suck really bad. We say NZ has the worlds fastest LAN because we have fast speeds locally but only one or two cables across the pacific connecting to USA (distance 1/3 of the globe) and i think only one cable is still operating to AUS which also connects us to asia and europe. If I do a trace route quite often I see singapore pop up. When we play games our pings are super high compared to other players because our packets travel 1/3 of the globe more than everyone else.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

they are prob not paid enough to care. I dont know how much they really earn but a saw mill was recently reported to have foreign contractors that earn $3 an hour. Back when Telecom NZ was around one of the technicians told me they get less than a bus driver

Pretty much, though considering the cemetery is under part of the vic market in the heart of Melbourne, it's near impossible to develop without finding remains.

Living in a rural town (30 of us bastards here) until recently moving a town over, my only high speed net option was bonded idsn. So my adsl here (about 1.5mb/s on a good day without network congestion ) is lightning fast.

3 minutes ago, Craigathorn said:

Enjoy your fiber, the line plan was changed to skip town to make project dates towards bendigo

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

9 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Rolling out this service is quite easy - they simply put the antennas on the tower. Most towers already have the bandwidth going to them and for those that don't, they're just P2P linked anyway.

thats not what I meant by service. I'm asking about prices and data caps

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

ab0m2nL_700b.jpg

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

$150 for 50gb yea this is totally a viable option lol. Also no one else was on the network when they did this were they? As we saw on the free data day with telstra its mobile network fell to its knees while an extreme case still something to consider.