HTPC 5.1 trouble

zerocool459

OK there my problem

I made a HTPC with asrock h110-m hds and g4400 (i link my panasonic 55inch 1080p (2016) i can find the model if needed .. with a HDMI cable.. but i cant get more than 2 channel out of my hdmi

i know my mobo was 5.1 
so now i cant get my full 5.1 out my receiver (no my receiver didnt have hdmi in)

and my tv was link with optical cable to my receiver (its work if I put my usb drive right in the tv and play surround movie) .. my receiver show up 5.1 channel and dolby or dts depend of the movie codec 

so i dont understand why i can push more than stereo out of my hdmi option in windows 10

Do you have 5.1 surround enabled it the audio devices settings?  Highlight the device you're using under the playback tab and then hit configure to check the setting.

i try but the only setting it show its stereo when i go on the hdmi to tv 

Does the TV support 5.1 LPCM?  If the TV only supports DTS or DD for 5.1, but LPCM, it will only do 2.0 using LPCM.

21 minutes ago, zerocool459 said:

the same movie by usb on tv work but no on hdmi by htpc 

The TV is likely capable of native decoding of the compressed 5.1 audio data in the media file.  On the OTHER hand, if you are using a PC to decode and it is not capable of a function called 'Bitstreaming' then the computer would have to decompress that audio to LPCM.  LPCM takes up a tremendously more bandwidth.  If your TV does not support 5.1 LPCM but only 5.1 DTS or DD, then it's EDID is not going to report LPCM 5.1 support to your computer and the computer won't output LPCM 5.1 to the TV but only 2.0.

Do you understand what I am saying?  You must provide more information for assistance, most critically, weather or not the TV is capable of ingesting LPCM 5.1.

For frame of reference, LPCM 2.0 uses as much bandwidth as DTS 5.1 and much more bandwidth as DD 5.1.  LPCM 5.1 uses a LOT of bandwidth.  This is also why an optical TOSLINK cable is incapable of 5.1 LPCM, only 2.0 LPCM or DD or DTS.  TOSLINK is simply incapable of the necessary bandwidth.  HDMI is, but your TV must support it.

but.. can you tell me if my  asrock h110-m dgs can do bitstreaming ? 
and whats was EDID and LPCM.. sry im not so hard in audio thing .. haha

11 hours ago, zerocool459 said:

I just checked online and that motherboard doesn't even have an HDMI out. I also do not see an optical out. Which only means no, your motherboard doesn't support bitstreaming. HDMI solves a lot of issues when it comes to surround sound compatibility.

You can consider purchasing a GTX 1050 which will give you an HDMI output, surround sound, and HVEC decoding as an added bonus.

22 hours ago, zerocool459 said:

and whats was EDID and LPCM.. sry im not so hard in audio thing .. haha

Bitstreaming SHOULD be possible on any Windows PC though I'm sure there are some exceptions.  However your media playback software would need to support it.  To be clear as to what Bitstreaming is, it is where the audio is NOT decoded by the playback hardware, the hardware instead takes total control of the audio hardware (So no other OS or program sounds are possible when it's in this mode) and 'shunts' the compressed audio data from the file directly down the HDMI port without any decoding or any processing.  It is then decoded using your audio device, be it a television, AV receiver or soundbar.

EDID is Extended Display Identification Data, it's the method your display uses to communicate it's functions and features to the display hardware.  'Hello, I am this TV, I support these audio formats, these resolutions, ect' if the TV doesn't say 'Hello, I support LPCM up to six channels' than the PC won't output like that.

LPCM is Linear pulse code modulation, it means uncompressed audio.  Think 'The Bitmap Of Audio' if that makes it easy to understand.  Uncompressed audio is large, it needs a lot of bandwidth.  This is why an optical TOSLINK can't do LPCM 5.1, it can't do the bandwidth.  Where as Dolby Digital or DTS are much more compressed and fit within teh available bandwidth.  There is enough bandwidth for Stereo 2.0 LPCM (It was originally designed for just this) but not 5.1

Your TV most certianly does support Dolby Digital 5.1.  All HDTVs do because it's in the standard HDTV broadcast format.  You literally can't build a TV that doesn't support it.  From what you say, it also supports DTS.  But these are still low bitrate formats.

So if your TV does not support LPCM 5.1, only 2.0, and your PC is fully decoding all audio and sending the decompressed/uncompressed LPCM audio, only 2.0 is possible.  Any TV would support 2.0 LPCM but 5.1 would not be possibly on EVERY TV, it'd be model specific.

The reason your TV does fine on files on an inserted USB key is because it is using it's own internal Dolby Digital decoding hardware and is not trying to ingest 5.1 LPCM over it's HDMI input.

ok first.. ashleyAshes.. big thx for all this explain haha i feel less retard now.. and i see with powerdvd 16 i can chose the hdmi output type.. like undecoded hd audio to external device so i guess im gonna try it when i go back to my father house 

and now one more question can you explain me what ARC hdmi port was ?

thanks you 

On 2/2/2017 at 8:13 PM, zerocool459 said:

and now one more question can you explain me what ARC hdmi port was ?

Audio Return Channel, it's the function to re transmit the audio coming in on an HDMI port out another HDMI port.  You could typically use this to connect audio passing through an a TV tot hen go to an AVR over HDMI.  But there's other possible uses.

So if I had an ARC compatible sound system, video and audio would go into my TV over HDMI, then any audio would go back out the TV through the HDMI ARC port into the HDMI port of the HDMI ARC supporting sound hardware.

Honestly, I'm explaining things to you that you could just Google and learn on your own.  It's one thing to have technical questions it's another to use this forum as your own personal Google.

yeah right after asking you ive got this info on google about arc.. but above was really better and understable explaination than what i found on google. I have this probleme since 2 week and after searching a lot of time on internet i finally ask here and i think my only solution its to try with powerdvd with undecoded audio to hdmi to tv and finally by optical cable out of tv to my receiver ( if i understand that was bitstreaming and my tv gonna decode just like it do when im plug with usb with my usb hd ) right ? 

just in case that interest you there my home made oak wood htpc

16357175_1226825937366551_1916095522_o.jpg

16357563_1226825967366548_551109750_o.jpg

16357747_1226825710699907_200633235_o.jpg

16358093_1226825977366547_1138310264_o.jpg

16389437_1226825410699937_1414427085_o.jpg