What's your opinion on Razer as a potential smartphone manufacturer?

HarmFull

Poll: What's your opinion on Razer as a potential smartphone manufacturer?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Will Razer be succesful as a phone manufacturer?

• Yes!
    • No, they will fail hard!
    • Yes, but they will only have a niche market for their fans.
    • No, they will bring out some weird concept device that won't be successful.
  2. 2. Which market segment will Razer target?

• High end: Their phones will have flagship specs and price.
    • high/ range: They will build a flagship killer.
    • Mid range: An average phone with optimizations for mobile gaming.
    • Low end: A true budget phone.
    • new tier: they will build a moblie gaming platform to compete with the Nintendo 3DS.
  3. 3. Would you potenitally buy a Razer phone?

• Yes, GO RAZER!
    • Yes, If they are competitive with other flagships I'd buy Razer over other manufacturers
    • Yes, If they build a flagship killer
    • No, I don't trust that they will provide the same support as other manufacturers
    • No, I don't care for a Razer phone
  4. 4. Are you excited that Razer bought Nextbit?

• Yes
    • No

Personally I've only had 2 razer products which were a headset and a keypad and they weren't too bad but the quality wasn't great. The way I see it is if they design a phone with front facing speakers, good battery life, 1080p(or higher) screen, Full metal, and a nice simple logo then this could be my next phone in 2 years. Until then I'm probably just gonna stick with xperia unless another brand comes out with something that includes everything I listed.

Haha, I was pretty confused by this acquisition, and assumed it was for something other than the phone side of things. Perhaps they'll incorporate the cloud sharing with games and a tablet somehow.

There have been many other companies that tried making phones when it wasn't their area of expertise. Marshall Headphones, for example. It wasn't terrible, but it didn't sell many units, and the price was high compared to what else was on the market.

They were able to include pretty expensive headphones in the kit, and it had a solid audio experience.

I don't think Razer really brings anything to the table in terms of mobile phones.

TL;DR

Razer isn't making a phone, and if they do, it'll be too expensive for something too weak in the spec department.

12 hours ago, peej said:

their phones need to beat Samsung and apple as the two big players in the premium phone market, if google cant get people to move to their phone how the hell are razer a company that almost no one outside of gaming knows of going to be able to successfully shift units.

Google actually did quite well with Pixel sales. They've just never been overly great at distribution and production numbers.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Haha, I was pretty confused by this acquisition, and assumed it was for something other than the phone side of things. Perhaps they'll incorporate the cloud sharing with games and a tablet somehow.

There have been many other companies that tried making phones when it wasn't their area of expertise. Marshall Headphones, for example. It wasn't terrible, but it didn't sell many units, and the price was high compared to what else was on the market.

They were able to include pretty expensive headphones in the kit, and it had a solid audio experience.

I don't think Razer really brings anything to the table in terms of mobile phones.

TL;DR

Razer isn't making a phone, and if they do, it'll be too expensive for something too weak in the spec department.

Google actually did quite well with Pixel sales. They've just never been overly great at distribution and production numbers.

yeah but popular opinion is key, you go and talk to people in the street they know samsung and apple most people still just see google as a search engine 

I lurk a lot

5 hours ago, peej said:

yeah but popular opinion is key, you go and talk to people in the street they know samsung and apple most people still just see google as a search engine 

It depends what market you're in. It doesn't change the fact that they've sold millions of devices, which really isn't bad considering their price.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

It depends what market you're in. It doesn't change the fact that they've sold millions of devices, which really isn't bad considering their price.

does it beat the 78 million iPhones sold in the last 3 months?

I lurk a lot

1 minute ago, peej said:

does it beat the 78 million iPhones sold in the last 3 months?

You don't have to beat Apple to be doing well. You can't be that daft.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You don't have to beat Apple to be doing well. You can't be that daft.

no i know im just being dramatic 

I lurk a lot

The phones they'll make will probably be pricey and appeal only to a certain audience, much like their other products do. Honestly, the whole smartphone industry has advanced so much that I don't see the practicality in buying any sort of "flagship"-priced phone anymore. You can get most of the experience at a far lower price. Hence the reason why companies like OnePlus or Huawei have been wildly successful in the past few years, and received well (at least by informed consumers). 

A Razer phone? What is it really going to offer that sets it apart from its competitors? A "Chroma" fingerprint reader? I hate gaming on mobile. It's terribly...simplified and none of the games I've found have really impressed me at the scale that a major PC game does. Most of it's due to the fact that mobile SOCs are just not as powerful as desktop or laptop equivalents...and I don't think that's gonna be the case, at least not for the next while. Even if the phone has some streaming features like the Shield or something, the screen is going to be too small to really do any "gaming", anyway. 

7 minutes ago, peej said:

no i know im just being dramatic 

Random question: Is the default D.Va skin your favourite? 

Also, why is "WD RED 3TB" blue?

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

5 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

The phones they'll make will probably be pricey and appeal only to a certain audience, much like their other products do. Honestly, the whole smartphone industry has advanced so much that I don't see the practicality in buying any sort of "flagship"-priced phone anymore. You can get most of the experience at a far lower price. Hence the reason why companies like OnePlus or Huawei have been wildly successful in the past few years, and received well (at least by informed consumers). 

A Razer phone? What is it really going to offer that sets it apart from its competitors? A "Chroma" fingerprint reader? I hate gaming on mobile. It's terribly...simplified and none of the games I've found have really impressed me at the scale that a major PC game does. Most of it's due to the fact that mobile SOCs are just not as powerful as desktop or laptop equivalents...and I don't think that's gonna be the case, at least not for the next while. Even if the phone has some streaming features like the Shield or something, the screen is going to be too small to really do any "gaming", anyway. 

Random question: Is the default D.Va skin your favourite? 

Also, why is "WD RED 3TB" blue?

i think the carbon skin is m fave as its more stealth (as stealth as you can get in a mech) but currently i rock the year of the rooster one thats also pretty dope. and its coloured blue just to annoy people (and myself) 

I lurk a lot

1 minute ago, peej said:

i think the carbon skin is m fave as its more stealth (as stealth as you can get in a mech) but currently i rock the year of the rooster one thats also pretty dope. and its coloured blue just to annoy people (and myself) 

Yeah, I like the Carbon one, too. I really want the event skin since I already have basically every other D.Va skin. My favourite's got to be the Lime one, though. I don't know why. It looks better than any of the Legendaries to me. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

3 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Yeah, I like the Carbon one, too. I really want the event skin since I already have basically every other D.Va skin. My favourite's got to be the Lime one, though. I don't know why. It looks better than any of the Legendaries to me. 

i spent about £90 on loot boxes to get it didn't even get it in the boxes just bought it with the credits i had RIP wallet

I lurk a lot

I already really don't like Razer. Their products are garbage and they look equally so.

We don't need another Apple Phone that looks different. (I.E overpriced and below par)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

@Ashiella think about it - the Razer Chromaphone - If it had an RGB line going around the edge, about 1mm wide, It could look pretty awesome

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

1 minute ago, Natsoup said:

@Ashiella think about it - the Razer Chromaphone - If it had an RGB line going around the edge, about 1mm wide, It could look pretty awesome

I'd buy that tbh. if it was like 400-500$ and killed flagships, or at least was a good competitor and had a nice (Oled/amoled? maybe?) and used their usual black aluminum.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

2 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

I'd buy that tbh. if it was like 400-500$ and killed flagships, or at least was a good competitor and had a nice (Oled/amoled? maybe?) and used their usual black aluminum.

I wantttt it :D Razer would probably price it way too high, though :/

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

I wantttt it :D Razer would probably price it way too high, though :/

Yeah, I'd say near the back of the phone, on an edge, make a little slit for the LED's and make it glass on that edge/ Or put an oled panel on the back and make it programmable including brightness, but non-touch. (Pro edition maybe? for like 800$? I'd still buy that.)

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Yeah, I'd say near the back of the phone, on an edge, make a little slit for the LED's and make it glass on that edge/ Or put an oled panel on the back and make it programmable including brightness, but non-touch. (Pro edition maybe? for like 800$? I'd still buy that.)

Hmm... maybe even use e-ink like Siam x7, thatd be cool

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Hmm... maybe even use e-ink like Siam x7, thatd be cool

How much is that phone? I want it.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Ashiella said:

How much is that phone? I want it.

$550 i think

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

$550 i think

Nvm.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

It will be overpriced...

HP Envy 17 1050eb  | i7-4800MQ | 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz | MSI GTX 750ti  | SSD: N/A | 2* 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi hard drive | 17 Inch Laptop Screen  (Updates planned ...)

First they need to learn how to make decent laptops and peripherals, and only if they succeed at that they may try to build a phone. 

On 1/31/2017 at 6:31 AM, deXxterlab97 said:

pliz don't be rgb phone pliz

Phone with RGB's? I would buy if the case had a clear panel, but the cable management would have to be good.

ᴬᶫᶫ ᴴᵉᶦᶫ ᴬᴹᴰ