Portable addition for school

Hey there!

I'm 17 years old and at a, so called college(?)(we in Austria call it HTL...how ever). I currently have a great self built pc on my desk, but need something for school. My plans are to take a small portable laptop to school, and do he heavier work at home at my pc. So I would mainly use the the laptop for office programs like excel, word, powerpoint, but maybe also for other softwares like mathcad or even catia(a 3d modelling software, but with little requirements). Therefor my first thoughts of a chromebook are dead I guess, are they? I am currently not in need of such a laptop, but it would be comfortable, so I wanted to know if there is any suitable device for around 300-400€.

3 minutes ago, OCXenox said:

Hey there!

I'm 17 years old and at a, so called college(?)(we in Austria call it HTL...how ever). I currently have a great self built pc on my desk, but need something for school. My plans are to take a small portable laptop to school, and do he heavier work at home at my pc. So I would mainly use the the laptop for office programs like excel, word, powerpoint, but maybe also for other softwares like mathcad or even catia(a 3d modelling software, but with little requirements). Therefor my first thoughts of a chromebook are dead I guess, are they? I am currently not in need of such a laptop, but it would be comfortable, so I wanted to know if there is any suitable device for around 300-400€.

I don't know about prices, but just to pitch in; find one with an i5, ESPECIAlLY if you are doing CAD. An i3 would cut it for the office programs at a good speed, but if you're doing CAD, an i5 is minimum; however, I don't know euro prices on laptops. 

Ehh that price is alittle bit too low if you're planning to do 3d modelling but you could try looking at the Lenovo Flex 2 or possibly get a surface pro 4

No the software we use isnt that much of work for the laptop, because the quality can be turned down quite a bit, the important thing here, is that external software can be installed. Not like on chromebooks or such devices.

My recommendation still stands , Lenovo Flex 2 runs window 10 without a hitch so you should be able to install your software onto it unlike chromeOS