Looking for case that can hold one full size ATX motherboard and one mATX

im_an_wizard

I'm aware dual motherboard cases are out there but they're kind of difficult to shop for. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. I'm looking for something silent and professional looking, but I know with such a strange requirement of two motherboards that may not be an option.

I already have a nice ATX build but I want a mATX build in the same case. The reason being that I plan to main linux on one(not because hipster, but because I genuinely prefer it) and have windows on the other for gaming and .NET development. I will be using two 4k60fps KVMs(or one if I can find one that supports 2x2) to switch between the two computers as I also plan on upgrading to dual 4k displays.

I'm also aware and quite savvy with virtual machines. Even though I have access to VMware Workstation Pro, nothing beats a native experience.

tl;dr

Need dual motherboard case (1x Fullsize ATX, 1x mATX)

Preferred: Professional appearance and quiet. I really like Fractal Design cases if that makes a good reference.

Least desirable(avoid): gamer appearance

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/1368241

i7-6700K @ Stock Speeds | 32GB DDR4(16x2) | GTX 970 SSC | 2TB Intel PC3520 PCI SSD | 2TB WD RE4 7200rpm | Fractal Define R5

Corsair M65 RGB Mouse | Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard | Audio Technica M50x Headphones

Duelboot?

Having two systems is only benefical if you need them both running at the same time.

Computers r fun

4 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Duelboot?

Having two systems is only benefical if you need them both running at the same time.

I mention using a KVM. I will have both systems running at the same time.

i7-6700K @ Stock Speeds | 32GB DDR4(16x2) | GTX 970 SSC | 2TB Intel PC3520 PCI SSD | 2TB WD RE4 7200rpm | Fractal Define R5

Corsair M65 RGB Mouse | Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard | Audio Technica M50x Headphones

1 minute ago, im_an_wizard said:

If you read, I mention using a KVM. I will have both systems running at the same time.

Will you have them on two displays?

Computers r fun

There's a reason why double motherboard cases / setups are rare af, and that's because virtualization is just an easier way to do the same thing. Here Linus configures a gaming computer to also work as a NAS.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Duelboot?

May aswell create a VM in this instance, :) rather than dualboot

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

9 minutes ago, im_an_wizard said:

Even though I have access to VMware Workstation Pro, nothing beats a native experience.

I'm not sure the small gains in responsiveness are worth having to setup a whole new computer insead of just doing VMs, but I did think of a case.

Cooler Master's HAF Stacker series are modular "case blocks" that you can use to house two systems within the same space, working like a single case even though they're detachable. There's an ATX version, and you can put an ITX version on top of it.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, JackHubbleday said:

May aswell create a VM in this instance, :) rather than dualboot

I don't trust Windows 10 as a host OS and I want native performance when I'm playing games. If I didn't play games I would just virtualize Windows. I would do a PCI passthrough with the GPU however it looks like a royal pain to set up. I'd rather have two builds.

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I'm not sure the small gains in responsiveness are worth having to setup a whole new computer insead of just doing VMs, but I did think of a case.

Cooler Master's HAF Stacker series are modular "case blocks" that you can use to house two systems within the same space, working like a single case even though they're detachable. There's an ATX version, and you can put an ITX version on top of it.

That's a spicy meme, I'll look into it. Thank you!

7 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

There's this if you don't mind ditching atx all together. Looks a million times more pleasing than any AF monstrosity.  

http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-MiniXL-DS.html

This one is definitely better looking than the HAF Stacker. Having to toss a perfectly good Z170 motherboard, if I want to go with this, does kind of stuck though.