New LinusTechTips video idea

Yoo Song Won

Hey LinusTechTips,

Try finding alternatives to thermal compound. I heard that you can use toothpaste so why not try mayonnaise, shampoo, lotion, paint, nail varnish or any other crazy crap.

I don't know, just a video idea.

1 minute ago, Yoo Song Won said:

Hey LinusTechTips,

Try finding alternatives to thermal compound. I heard that you can use toothpaste so why not try mayonnaise, shampoo, lotion, paint, nail varnish or any other crazy crap.

I don't know, just a video idea.

@Lord Nicoll did that

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

did you try man juice?

Not yet, the follow up video is waiting, this time I'll be using either an i7 6700k or i7 7700k on a Maximus VIII Formula, so I wanna make sure I don't break either, as I don't get this stuff for free

Yours faithfully

jayztwocents did one of these as well, along with a variety of other pulications.

the TLDR is this: yes, initially some of them may appear to be working, but in the long run it's gonna be messy, (stinky), and degrade stupidly fast in comparison with thermal paste. the worst thermal pastes out there (the stuff on cheap prebuilts that gets bone dry) degrades in a few years, where i guarantee you the best allternative you can find wont last a week. so unless you want to scrape old mayo off your cpu every week, i suggest to just buy a tube of MX-4 and call it a day.

and with that i'm also asking please dont make a video about this, we're still dealing with people who think they can use unraid to build two gaming rigs in one tower on the cheap.

I won't never understand why someone wants to mess their $100-300 CPU with something they could as well eat...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 hours ago, manikyath said:

and with that i'm also asking please dont make a video about this, we're still dealing with people who think they can use unraid to build two gaming rigs in one tower on the cheap.

To be fair, you kinda can. Even with the premium for the CPU and motherboard, it's often cheaper than buying two CPUs, two motherboard's, two hard drives, etc etc.

10 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

To be fair, you kinda can. Even with the premium for the CPU and motherboard, it's often cheaper than buying two CPUs, two motherboard's, two hard drives, etc etc.

once you line out the costs, it actually essentially ends up evening out roughly. and taking into account gpu passtrough is rather problematic, with unraid's official documentation essentially being "you'll probably need voodoo on intel desktop chipsets, and good freaking luck on AMD in general."

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

once you line out the costs, it actually essentially ends up evening out roughly. and taking into account gpu passtrough is rather problematic, with unraid's official documentation essentially being "you'll probably need voodoo on intel desktop chipsets, and good freaking luck on AMD in general."

As long as your Intel chipset/CPU supports VT-d or your AMD chipset/APU supports IOMMU the set up for VGA passthrough on UNRAID is pretty much identical to the setup on raw KVM...

That's my point though, I said you *kind of* can because while you definitely can, you're going to run into issues if you don't have experience fudging with hypervisors.

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

As long as your Intel chipset/CPU supports VT-d or your AMD chipset/APU supports IOMMU the set up for VGA passthrough on UNRAID is pretty much identical to the setup on raw KVM...

That's my point though, I said you *kind of* can because while you definitely can, you're going to run into issues if you don't have experience fudging with hypervisors.

i never said you cant, but essentially they're saying "figure it out on your own, you will have plenty of issues we cant give you a canned answer for"

it's a matter of "if you need to ask, it's not something for you".