The fat lady Hath sung for Blockbuster

nicehat

blockbuster-closing-041210-webjpg-7775ba

Blockbuster, the formal rental king and one stop shop for all your electronic entertainment needs has finally gone the way of the dodo. Block"bust" announced that they will shut down all remaining stores and its online rental service will be licensed to Dish network

"This is not an easy decision, yet consumer demand is clearly moving to digital distribution of video entertainment," said Dish CEO Joseph Clayton in a press release. The online streaming rental service Blockbuster Now will live on, and Dish will retail licensing rights to the Blockbuster brand. Both the retail stores and Blockbuster's disc-by-mail service will be shut down by early January 2014.

So does this news bring a tear of nostalgia to your eye? Orrrr do you give negative cares about BB... No not Blackberry, Blockbuster. 

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/6/5073364/blockbuster-exiting-us-retail-market-closing-its-last-300-stores

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

It's life.

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Last time I rented a movie was on VHS and probably before most of the people here was born or just starting school.  Will I miss Blockbuster? no.

The problem is these day's its easier to get your film/games from the net instead of doing something mad and dangerous like going out your front door  :wacko:

Cry Havoc!

I liked this idea but I guess we don't need it now with Netflix, etc.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

I thought they closed already..

Can't say I am moved one way or the other. Yes, it was neat to roam the isles back in the day, but it was their fault for sticking to an aged business model that is obsolete for today.

I thought they closed already..

Can't say I am moved one way or the other. Yes, it was neat to roam the isles back in the day, but it was their fault for sticking to an aged business model that is obsolete for today.

Only some of them were shutdown. I was really surprised to see that the one in my town was out of business and the one on the outer edge of the city (Manchester) was still in business.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Only some of them were shutdown. I was really surprised to see that the one in my town was out of business and the one on the outer edge of the city (Manchester) was still in business.

I'll be honest. I haven't stepped foot inside a Blockbuster since the Nintendo Gamecube was relevant.