WHY DOES AMD DO THIS?!?!?!

For about A YEAR, I've thought that my Graphics Card wasn't working, and that It was defect.

I've baked it over and over, trying to get it to work again... (Latest 16.2.1 Crimson Legacy Drivers)

I installed Batman Arkham Knight, which ran REALLY bad. (10fps).

Searching for the net for clues, I found out, that installing 14.12 OMEGA drivers make it run just fine.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-catalyst-14-12-whql-omega-download.html

TRUE STORY, I installed 14.12, and ran the game 30-60 FPS on low, 1080p. Aww yeah Batman still looks awesome!

I noticed something weird. (Crossfire was working again O.o) Wuuut?

I finished Batman, and thought I'd get back to Fallout 4. Latest version of Fallout 4 only works on latest Crimson Drivers.

With Crossfire working, it should run BUTTERSMOOTH!!

I installed Latest 16.2.1 Crimson Legacy Drivers again, and saw that Crossfire isn't working... Again.

Here I thought, well maybe the card somehow broke again. Tried to reinstall 14.12 again to confirm (used DDU), wow. Crossfire works JUST fine again.

ONE more time, going back to Latest 16.2.1 Crimson Legacy Drivers, crossfire is dead. Again...

Here are screenshots of GPU-Z:

14.12 OMEGA Drivers

linus2.PNG

16.2.1 Crimson drivers

linus3.PNG

Key difference: Both Crossfire and OpenCL is gone on the newer Crimson driver.

What the actual #¤!$ is AMD doing???? I'm actually frustrated right now.

Can someone give any tips/tricks or closure on this?

YDODIS.jpg

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

16.12 is not for 6XXX series cards , its 7X and up ,

your card is not receiving active updates anymore as its very old ,

just run the older driver or get a newer card 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

1. Because it's AMD

2. Because it's arkham knight 

3. Because it's crossfire 

helpful

As already said, don't use the latest drivers if your card isn't supported. Also, I don't remember Fallout having multi-GPU support, I had next to no performance increase using 2x 970's although that's around 4 months or so ago now so maybe wrong

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

6900 series.. wonders why.. this that the other.

6900k. 64GB DDR4 3200. ASUS Rampage V Edition TEN. GTX TITAN X Pascal SLi.  

19 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

Yes it is. It's the lastest driver for Legacy Card, 6xxx and down.

7xxx and up all have a lot higher versions, my girlfriends 7770 is currently on 16.12.1 (newest crimson relive)

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

Grab an RX 470 i will put all my money where my mouth is on you have a much better time.

6900k. 64GB DDR4 3200. ASUS Rampage V Edition TEN. GTX TITAN X Pascal SLi.  

22 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

This driver IS the latest driver for my card. I am fully aware that no future updates will come, as they stated THIS was the latest.

I've also tried 15.11.1 (Pre Crimson drivers), crossfire is also disabled.

Latest drivers on their website for Legacy Cards (6xxx and down)

Latest Stable: 15.7.1 (No Crossfire)

Latest Beta 16.2.1 (No Crossfire)

Old OMEGA 14.12 driver (Crossfire perfectly working)

Capture.PNG

22 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

1. Because it's AMD

2. Because it's arkham knight 

3. Because it's crossfire 

Lol xD

19 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

Well the card(2010-2011) is old has balls is what im assuming

Very unhelpful comment, considering that I'm showing you that everything has worked in previous drivers, and suddenly being disabled in future drivers.

Please see above answer.

A card being old doesn't mean you have to disable functions that previously worked???

18 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

helpful

As already said, don't use the latest drivers if your card isn't supported. Also, I don't remember Fallout having multi-GPU support, I had next to no performance increase using 2x 970's although that's around 4 months or so ago now so maybe wrong

Please see above replies.

My card is fully supported, and the drivers I use are the latest supported for my Card.

Regarding Fallout, you are right, that some cases it does not help.
However in my case (when crossfire actually worked) I did get a 10-20 fps boost. (Using Crysis 3 Profile I think, had to google to find a working profile, as Fallout 4 profile wasn't yet released at that time).

7 minutes ago, Techno_Reverend said:

Grab an RX 470 i will put all my money where my mouth is on you have a much better time.

I trust you :-), and I believe you.
I could also just buy a GTX 1070. (have the money).

Just really wondering why crossfire works perfectly on older drivers, and why the newest ones seem to be purposely disabling it, along with OpenCL Support.

Baking should be the last thing you do. It's really an ineffective, and if it works, extremely temporary solution that may not last very long. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

As long as your older drivers work and play all of your games just stick with those until you upgrade.  Can't say for sure if AMD purposely disabled crossfire on older cards - I don't think this is the case.  It may just not be as compatible with the newer API, and companies will just cut off ties with older hardware at some point to have something that works better with newer cards.  The 6990 is especially an oddball in the AMD line up so it's not too surprising, and it could've easily have gone untested in their newer updates.  

2 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Baking should be the last thing you do. It's really an ineffective, and if it works, extremely temporary solution that may not last very long. 

Agreed. But it's like a last resort for me. I only do it if it doesn't work properly. If it dies, then so be it xD

2 hours ago, LeStringMan said:

This is actually a known issue with 15.7.1 and 16.2.1, there a quite a few post on AMD's forums about this exact topic.

Do you happen to know what the actual #¤$! AMD is doing?

Both officially and unofficially.

Is it just like, we're screwing the older cards, so you HAVE to buy new?

1 hour ago, Biggerboot said:

As long as your older drivers work and play all of your games just stick with those until you upgrade.  Can't say for sure if AMD purposely disabled crossfire on older cards - I don't think this is the case.  It may just not be as compatible with the newer API, and companies will just cut off ties with older hardware at some point to have something that works better with newer cards.  The 6990 is especially an oddball in the AMD line up so it's not too surprising, and it could've easily have gone untested in their newer updates.  

Problem is, some games (noticed Fallout 4), doesn't work properly without the latest Crimson Drivers. you fly through walls and a lot of houses disappear etc.
It's really weird. They're not invisible, you can literally walk through where they used to be. Weird issues.

So it's kind of a situation, where you gotta install drivers depending on which games you want to play, which kind of sucks :(

Why is the 6990 an oddball? :P

I understand cutting ties, if let's say the card just stopped working on some/all newer titles, but it works just fine! They just disabled crossfire and OpenCL support for some odd reason.

13 minutes ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

Why is the 6990 an oddball? :P

Dual GPU cards are basically a thing of the past, arguably obsolete at the launch of the R6000 series.  The 6990 and GTX 690 were the last of their kind (I think).

11 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Dual GPU cards are basically a thing of the past, arguably obsolete at the launch of the R6000 series.  The 6990 and GTX 690 were the last of their kind (I think).

oh.
We still DO have Radeon Pro Duo and Titan Z though :D

28 minutes ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

oh.
We still DO have Radeon Pro Duo and Titan Z though :D

I'll retract that statement.  They were the last gaming grade dual cards.  Those are meant for workstations.  Two gpus on one card make more sense in rendering.  Their usability doesn't rely on SLI/CF.

43 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

I'll retract that statement.  They were the last gaming grade dual cards.  Those are meant for workstations.  Two gpus on one card make more sense in rendering.  Their usability doesn't rely on SLI/CF.

Don't forget 295x2.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

14 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

How does baking a GPU relate to this thread about GPU drivers at all? 

Wrong thread maybe? :D 

edit: Rip reading skills...somehow missed that part when it was literally the second thing he mentioned...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

7 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Right.  I totally forgot about the dual R9.  :B

MARS 760x2

HD 7990

Powercolor 390x2

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

6 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

MARS 760x2

Powercolor 390x2

Yo I'm not counting aftermarket exclusives. :P

I'll admit though I've not heard of the 7990.  I guess AMD was making dual cards for a while.  I wonder how that would handle now.

10 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Read the OP scrub

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

24 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

The OP mentioned that he baked it numerous times. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

@Godlygamer23, @ivan134, he mentioned it in the second line, totally didn't miss it...whoops :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :)