Does Kaby Lake suffer from Skylake's crashes?

14 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

You obviously didn't take my advice  so I'll try to help you out.  

How do you know in any of these supposed examples that there were not issues elsewhere causing the problems?  That's right, you don't.  You're just speculating, which is something we do great on LTT.  We just love to make shit up around here.  :D

Outside of overclocking the CPU itself, memory issues and CPU cache, specifically those run out of spec, cause a great majority of "freezing" issues.  You need a lot more than a bunch of examples of folks who can figure out a problem before you start blaming an entire architecture for the problem.

by Original Poster: "even RMA'd every single component in my build to see what was causing it, and still happening."

wich part you no understood? only the cpu can be the problem... and if other people (many people with differents configs) have the same problem then we can conclude that any config parameters in BIOS for the cpu show the same problem "skylake bug"

skylake was launched in August 2015 and still now Intel released fake fix! Why the fix can't solved? Hard bug or architecture bug. My Haswell had hard bug (tsx) and Intel solved disabled all instructions of feature, but how can Intel disable all instructions (c-states bug, avx/fma3 bug) of skylake?

3 minutes ago, Andre4790k said:

by Original Poster: "even RMA'd every single component in my build to see what was causing it, and still happening."

wich part you no understood? only the cpu can be the problem... and if other people (many people with differents configs) have the same problem then can conclude that any config parameters in BIOS for the cpu show the same problem "skylake bug"

After reading through some of your other posts, I now understand a lot better.  You seem to have a link to everything.

What I'm telling you is first hand knowledge.  Not something I read on the internet somewhere.  Having owned and used numerous Skylake and Kaby Lake CPUs, I have yet to have one "freezing" issue that I didn't cause through some error on my own part.

Which Skylake CPU did you have and how does the "freezing" occur with your Skylake CPU?

i should have posted an update to this, and well i think i f**ked up, as i swapped my Z170-A for a Z170X-UD3 a couple of weeks back, and well it hasn't frozen since.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

1 minute ago, ashypanda said:

i should have posted an update to this, and well i think i f**ked up, as i swapped by Z170-A for a Z170X-UD3 a couple of weeks back, and well it hasn't frozen since.

Thanks for the update man and congrats on getting your PC up and running without further issue.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Thanks for the update man and congrats on getting your PC up and running without further issue.

no worries, i just feel a tit, as i went through 5 RMAs within a year, and just a different motherboard sorted. 

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

13 hours ago, Andre4790k said:

Your name is "djdwosk97"? ! .... He said that there is no people with skylake freeze/crash problem (change for 6700k to 6600k if you prefer).

Ooooo, taking quotes out of context, nice. Here's what I initially said and what I was following up on: 

On 1/25/2017 at 11:43 AM, djdwosk97 said:

Also, one (potentially) bad chip doesn't mean the entirety of Skylake -K SKUs are bad. They're not. 

There is no major defect in Skylake that causes any freezing/crashing problems. Do Skylake builds experience freezes/crashes? Of course they do, all hardware does. 

9 hours ago, ashypanda said:

no worries, i just feel a tit, as i went through 5 RMAs within a year, and just a different motherboard sorted. 

Sometimes there are just weird quirks that exist on certain configurations. Coil whine is a great and prevalent example of that, a certain pairing of PSU + GPU can easily produce coil whine while either component with a different matching component would not. 

That's why companies that build systems (Microsoft, Apple, Dell, HP, etc...) test their hardware combinations extensively before launch and why you can have companies launch new products with older specs (ex: Surface Studio with a Maxwell GPU even though Pascal was out for months).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 4:25 PM, ashypanda said:

i should have posted an update to this, and well i think i f**ked up, as i swapped my Z170-A for a Z170X-UD3 a couple of weeks back, and well it hasn't frozen since.

no more freeze?

On 2/23/2017 at 10:44 AM, Andre4790k said:

I can show you: in my link there are many freeze problems with skylake (like this guy of topic)...

and many others here: https://www.reddit.com/search?q=6700k+freeze&sort=new&t=all
or
if you prefer: https://www.reddit.com/search?q=6600k+freeze&sort=new&t=all

Funny, been on my 6700K at 4.6GHz for the better part of a year, almost constantly loading it, and haven't had so much as a freeze. Perhaps BIOS updates are in order? Microcode patches? Shit happens.

Replace 6700k with 4790k, 3770k, 2600k, etc. You'll find similar results across the board.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

5 hours ago, Andre4790k said:

no more freeze?

yes, nothing, even after 10+ hours of gaming, going from full load to idle, numerous times, various states of load, and perfectly stable.

19 hours ago, Noirgheos said:

Funny, been on my 6700K at 4.6GHz for the better part of a year, almost constantly loading it, and haven't had so much as a freeze. Perhaps BIOS updates are in order? Microcode patches? Shit happens.

Replace 6700k with 4790k, 3770k, 2600k, etc. You'll find similar results across the board.

So you can explain this: search in google "site:communities.intel.com 6700k freeze" vs "site:communities.intel.com 4790k freeze". For 6700k there are more than two times more occurrences even with less time to exist.

1 hour ago, Andre4790k said:

So you can explain this: search in google "site:communities.intel.com 6700k freeze" vs "site:communities.intel.com 4790k freeze". For 6700k there are more than two times more occurrences even with less time to exist.

More popularity? 4790K being a refresh, therefore the platform releasing with less bugs? Its no secret Z170 and Skylake had tons of issues at launch, especially with the RAM and microcode stuff. Actually, Skylake did have more issues at launch than Intel's last real buggy launch.

Either way, they're all fixed now. Unless I got super lucky and my constantly under torture 6700K is some magic chip that's unaffected...

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

3 hours ago, Noirgheos said:

More popularity? 4790K being a refresh, therefore the platform releasing with less bugs? Its no secret Z170 and Skylake had tons of issues at launch, especially with the RAM and microcode stuff. Actually, Skylake did have more issues at launch than Intel's last real buggy launch.

Either way, they're all fixed now. Unless I got super lucky and my constantly under torture 6700K is some magic chip that's unaffected...

Ok. But did Intel actually fix it? Why people with BIOS and drivers updated have the same bugs (https://www.reddit.com/search?q=6700k+freeze&sort=new&t=all) ?

"More popularity? 4790k being a refresh..." but even after 2 years the 4790k still sell very well:

https://blog.neweggbusiness.com/components/top-cpus-2016-best-processors-business-systems/

4790k is above the 6600k, 6700, 6800k, 6600 and 6400 (top sellers)

So explain why skylake freeze have 3 times more occurence than haswell freeze

google search:

site:communities.intel.com skylake freeze

vs

site:communities.intel.com haswell freeze

Maybe you say that skylake sold 3 times more than the previous architecture.

10 hours ago, Andre4790k said:

Ok. But did Intel actually fix it? Why people with BIOS and drivers updated have the same bugs (https://www.reddit.com/search?q=6700k+freeze&sort=new&t=all) ?

"More popularity? 4790k being a refresh..." but even after 2 years the 4790k still sell very well:

https://blog.neweggbusiness.com/components/top-cpus-2016-best-processors-business-systems/

4790k is above the 6600k, 6700, 6800k, 6600 and 6400 (top sellers)

google search:

vs

How do you know all those people really have up to date BIOSes and microcode? Perhaps they had problematic BIOSes and microcode at time of posting?

Also, what you linked showed the 6700K selling more. You know what that means? New users are also most likely buying it. New users? More issues that can be avoided.

Doesn't matter how much it pops up on a google search, that means nothing. Explain the millions of people who have absolutely no issues with Skylake? Remember, if people have no issues, they won't go and post on forums saying they have none.

BTW, you have 4790K in your name. Kind of makes me doubt that you're unbiased. I've used both CPUs in the past, and none gave me issues.

On 2/27/2017 at 9:23 AM, Andre4790k said:

google search:

vs

I'm a little unsure what you're trying to show here or where "three times more" comes from, but I feel a dark sense of dread in my heart that you may be trying to judge the failure rate of Skylake CPUs based on the number of Google results your arbitrary search terms found. Please, tell me you don't actually believe statistics work that way. :/

You seem to be confusing the fact that CPUs can be the cause of freezing with the idea that Skylake in particular causes an exceptional amount of it. You've linked a lot of people in this thread who are complaining about crashing or freezing, and some of them may in fact have an issue with their CPU. But I haven't seen anything yet that suggests these are more than just the ordinary failure numbers for a product like this.