Does Kaby Lake suffer from Skylake's crashes?

Considering selling my 6600k, as for whole 18 months i've had it, it's constantly locked up, and even RMA'd every single component in my build to see what was causing it, and still happening.
so i'm just wondering if kaby lake is any more stable, than skylake, as I've just absolutely had enough and sick of it, just wish intel would recall both skylake K SKUs, as i've even read through intel's own forum, tom's, here, and reddit, for any solution, and nothing other than the prime number bug.

if anyone from intel see's this, sort your sh*t out.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

Your 6600k is not the problem.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Is your 6600k overclocked? Is it 100% stable? Is your RAM overclocked? Is your PSU sufficient? Is your GPU overclocked? Is there an issue with your SSD/HDD? Is there an issue with your OS install? 

Also, one (potentially) bad chip doesn't mean the entirety of Skylake -K SKUs are bad. They're not. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

sounds more like you don't have enough voltage going through, or just a shitty board. But it can be a variety of things, GPU, RAM, PSU, SSD/HDD, potato masher. Even your Windows install.

The geek himself.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Your 6600k is not the problem.

then it'd have to be a microcode issue.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Is your 6600k overclocked? Is it 100% stable? 

Also, one (potentially) bad chip doesn't mean the entirety of Skylake -K SKUs are bad. They're not. 

stock clocks, and this is my 2nd 6600K from a different batch, it has to be a bug within architecture, as if 100's if not 1000's of people all have the same erratic  issue with numerous different hardware configurations all with one common part, then that has to be the fault.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

1 minute ago, ashypanda said:

The way to test it is to find a friend who has a properly working z170 PC and put your 6600k in it and see what happens.

If it immediately starts having the same issues then you know it's a defective CPU and you can RMA it to intel.

But I've never heard of something like this happening, so I highly doubt that it is your CPU.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Dawson Wehage said:

sounds more like you don't have enough voltage going through, or just a shitty board. But it can be a variety of things, GPU, RAM, PSU, SSD/HDD, potato masher. Even your Windows install.

voltage is fine, 0.8v to 1.27v, all the components have been changed, and i've clean installed about 6 times to see if it was an OS issue, and even happened with ubuntu.

2 minutes ago, ashypanda said:

stock clocks, and this is my 2nd 6600K from a different batch, it has to be a bug within architecture, as if 100's if not 1000's of people all have the same erratic  issue with numerous different hardware configurations all with one common part, then that has to be the fault.

Where are these thousands of people. You're the first person I've seen with an issue. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

voltage is fine, 0.8v to 1.27v, all the components have been changed, and i've clean installed about 6 times to see if it was an OS issue, and even happened with ubuntu.

Have you tries swapping drives, removing the gpu?

The geek himself.

Its definitely not your cpu, most likely your motherboard. There has never been a bug in the architecture like this. My skylake processor (when I had it) worked fine. 

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Where are these thousands of people. You're the first person I've seen with an issue. 

https://communities.intel.com/thread/97358 
as well as links to different posts to the right hand side
 and there was this thread which has been deleted 
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2830772/skylake-build-randomly-freezing-crashing

3 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Have you tries swapping drives, removing the gpu?

yes

yes

Ok its your motherboard for sure, return it, buy a new one.

The geek himself.

2 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Ok its your motherboard for sure, return it, buy a new one.

I'm on my 3rd motherboard, as i've RMA'd it twice.

why dont you just take it to a shop, don't buy the same board if u are.

The geek himself.

22 minutes ago, ashypanda said:

just wish intel would recall both skylake K SKUs, 

You want Intel to recall the vast majority of CPUs where people don't have a problem? Not saying you don't have a problem, but it is a jump to assume it is a widespread one without evidence.

Given the CPU and ram are at stock (assuming the sig is up to date and correct), and everything has been replaced, that could point more towards other factors. Actually, even at stock, you might not be. Some mobos take the liberty to enhance performance for you, without making it obvious. 

Purely speculating, maybe this is one of those near impossible to predict cases where this particular combination of components are not 100 compatible. BIOS updates could help as they have moved on a lot since launch. For diagnostic purposes, I'd be interested to try removing the GPU and run off the intel one to see if that makes any difference.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

17 minutes ago, ashypanda said:

Have you tried underclocking your CPU or raising the voltage? What about running a barebones system (No GPU, only one drive, only one stick of RAM)? Under what conditions does it freeze up -- when stress testing or just randomly? Have you tried updating the bios? Have you tried the latest drivers for everything? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Andre4790k said:

Look here and You will see thousands os people with same problem (skylake bug): https://www.reddit.com/search?q=6700k+freeze&sort=new&t=all

What I see in your search results are pages upon pages of people posting random things that probably included the words "6700K" and "freeze" somewhere in the thread. Most seem to be crashes related to specific games. I see some people asking for overclocking advice, looking for alternatives to Shadowplay, posting rants about For Honor and FIFA 16, and complaining about the performance of their SSD. What I don't see are thousands of people complaining that there's something inherently wrong with Skylake causing mystery freezes.

I didn't get up this morning thinking I would have to say something this obvious, but when you search for "6700K freeze" on Reddit you're not going to find thousands of people all definitely experiencing the same problem. o.O

13 minutes ago, typographie said:

What I see in your search results are pages upon pages of people posting random things that probably included the words "6700K" and "freeze" somewhere in the thread. Most seem to be crashes related to specific games. I see some people asking for overclocking advice, looking for alternatives to Shadowplay, posting rants about For Honor and FIFA 16, and complaining about the performance of their SSD. What I don't see are thousands of people complaining that there's something inherently wrong with Skylake causing mystery freezes.

I didn't get up this morning thinking I would have to say something this obvious, but when you search for "6700K freeze" on Reddit you're not going to find thousands of people all definitely experiencing the same problem. o.O

There's nothing like starting a good rumor though, right?  

I had a 6700k (Skylake) and I have a 7700k (Kaby Lake) and I've never suffered explainable crashing.  Have I crashed?  Absolutely, but it was because of some ridiculous overclock or something else stupid on my part.

23 minutes ago, typographie said:

Your name is "djdwosk97"? ! .... He said that there is no people with skylake freeze/crash problem (change for 6700k to 6600k if you prefer).

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I had a 6700k (Skylake) and I have a 7700k (Kaby Lake) and I've never suffered explainable crashing.  Have I crashed?  Absolutely, but it was because of some ridiculous overclock or something else stupid on my part.

I got my 6600K on launch day, and like you, I crash when my overclock isn't quite right or there's a driver issue or something. I know one user's experience doesn't prove much, but if there were serious issues with the Skylake architecture like those being claimed, I think we could all expect to have issues. At the very least I'd expect at least one well-known, reputable tech review site to have noticed something.

1 hour ago, Andre4790k said:

Look here and You will see thousands os people with same problem (skylake bug): https://www.reddit.com/search?q=6700k+freeze&sort=new&t=all

READ the comments in your link.  The issues being reported are from a variety of different problems.  None can be specifically attributed to a "Skylake bug".  

This is going to require that you dig and actually attempt to see if there could be other issues causing the problems, but I know you can do it!

14 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

READ the comments in your link.  The issues being reported are from a variety of different problems.  None can be specifically attributed to a "Skylake bug".  

This is going to require that you dig and actually attempt to see if there could be other issues causing the problems, but I know you can do it!

I can show you: in my link there are many freeze problems with skylake (like this guy of topic)...

and many others here: https://www.reddit.com/search?q=6700k+freeze&sort=new&t=all
or
if you prefer: https://www.reddit.com/search?q=6600k+freeze&sort=new&t=all

12 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

2 minutes ago, Andre4790k said:

I can show you: in my link there are many freeze problems with sylake (like this guy of topic)...

and many others here: https://www.reddit.com/search?q=6700k+freeze&sort=new&t=all
or
if you prefer: https://www.reddit.com/search?q=6600k+freeze&sort=new&t=all

You obviously didn't take my advice  so I'll try to help you out.  

How do you know in any of these supposed examples that there were not issues elsewhere causing the problems?  That's right, you don't.  You're just speculating, which is something we do great on LTT.  We just love to make shit up around here.  :D

Outside of overclocking the CPU itself, memory issues and CPU cache, specifically those run out of spec, cause a great majority of "freezing" issues.  You need a lot more than a bunch of examples of folks who can figure out a problem before you start blaming an entire architecture for the problem.