I want to learn Linux, what's first?

Alright, so currently I am learning a lot in my Computer Science classes, especially in the perspective of programming and I network for a job. I want to expand a little more and begin learning Linux and figure out what all the fuss Is about with their terminals and whatnot. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how I should start or tips in general?

Thanks for any and all replies in advance. :)

kali linux is fun ;)

CPUFX 8320, Motherboard ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Socket AM3+ AMD, RAM g.skill ripjaws x series (2x8gb), GPUstrix gtx 970, Storage 500gb + 500gb + 250 ssd, PSU EVGA 600w B 80 PLUS BRONZE, Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 24"+ Hisense 24" + Vizio 24", Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, PC Part Picker  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LFxQ23

11 minutes ago, Undertaker225 said:

Alright, so currently I am learning a lot in my Computer Science classes, especially in the perspective of programming and I network for a job. I want to expand a little more and begin learning Linux and figure out what all the fuss Is about with their terminals and whatnot. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how I should start or tips in general?

Thanks for any and all replies in advance. :)

http://linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php

Learn the shell, and learn it soon. It will be your friend.

On that note, I would suggest starting with an "easy mode" distribution, like Linux Mint or Ubuntu/Lubuntu.

4 minutes ago, samocamo123 said:

i swear what's the deal with the script kiddies on this forum recently?

They think they're cool because they can type a command in a command line.

11 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

It's the new thumbnails. They are attracting, ummm, a rather interesting type of audience. 

well it is our duty here to teach them better [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

37 minutes ago, samocamo123 said:

i swear what's the deal with the script kiddies on this forum recently?

because people don't like to learn the foundations before using frameworks and tools.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

44 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Install a desktop on arch Linux and you will learn terminal fast

Some people say learn the basics with simple Distros, why Arch? How would I even begin with Arch? Lol. any suggestions? I'm down to try it.

2 minutes ago, Undertaker225 said:

Some people say learn the basics with simple Distros, why Arch? How would I even begin with Arch? Lol. any suggestions? I'm down to try it.

because it forces you to learn everything inside out. its a very steep learning curve and very dry imo. people recommend easier distro's for people who just want an easy desktop experience, i don't think you want that from your OP.

4 minutes ago, tlink said:

because it forces you to learn everything inside out. its a very steep learning curve and very dry imo. people recommend easier distro's for people who just want an easy desktop experience, i don't think you want that from your OP.

I don't want an easy desktop, I want the power user/developer experience. I want to learn how to eventually develop some scripts/apps. That's the long game any ways.

1 minute ago, Undertaker225 said:

I don't want an easy desktop, I want the power user/developer experience. I want to learn how to eventually develop some scripts/apps. That's the long game any ways.

and thats exactly why people recommend arch linux, its the power user system for linux. this article (although outdated) describes it pretty good.
http://lifehacker.com/5680453/build-a-killer-customized-arch-linux-installation-and-learn-all-about-linux-in-the-process

ps: heres a good place to start reading about it if it sounds like something you like.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide

1 hour ago, Undertaker225 said:

Arch starts with a basic system, no preinstalled applications other than the bare minimum. to get a GUI up and running you will learn where all the system setting are. You will also learn how to configure networking through command line. You will also get to play with new versions of software not yet available on most other distributions

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

If you want easy but can learn more in the future Ubuntu. 

If you want to deep dive right away Arch, its all command line based install and it is all extremely well documented on their wiki. 

To make a bootable Linux USB use rufus and point it at the USB key and the ISO image.

If you want to try Linux i suggest you visualize it. Use virtualbox to try out different distributions. 

You'll need a CLI text editor at some point. The main ones are vim, emacs, and nano. There are debates over which to use so I am not going to push my opinion on which to use. try them all and see which one you prefer. 

There are some good resources online as well as man pages. I usually point people at this YouTube playlist

I wish you the best of luck with using Linux! PM me or post agian if you need more help!

I just installed Ubuntu on an amd 990fx system. Turns out normally it will boot with usb 3.0 working with 2.0 and networking not working.

turns out I had to add iommu=soft into grub. Who knew.

anyway I get get behind the arch route it is what I'm moving to next after using mint.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´