(Updated!) Resident evil 7 benchmarks

Techicolors
4 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

no issues man there is no issues it's just that this has been posted in the ''news'' section when clearly there was some major flaws with the results and everything...in a section where it shouldnt even be in the first place...etc.

This thread should be move into the ''PC gaming'' section of the forum...it's no ''news'' what so ever to speak of.

I'll admit that I did posted this is a bit early, as apparently the benches have been updated, and now looks a lot better, least in my view. I'll update the OP with this new info and provide the updated results below. Now how am I going to reflect that in the actual OP and have everyone check it out again...

Also I posted benches a couple of times in "PC gaming" section but were sadly missed with no responses.. 

here are the updated results 

1080p

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=28357

1440p

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=28358

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=28359

Apparently what's happened 

** Update #2: after lots of weird results with graphics card that have less then 4 GB of VRAM we found out that the problematic settings is Shadow cache. If you have an up-to 4 GB graphics card, please turn it off and you'll be playing properly. The charts are now updated to reflect that.

They also provided FCAT results, but I'll link it instead http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/resident_evil_7_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,8.html

hey look @MageTank the benchmarks were updated :^)

The 460 is handily beating the 1050TI interestingly.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

1440p is = to GOD MODE imho...SMAA=more than enough for smooth edges at 27'' 1440p :D

Me and my fucking shit-after-seeing-1440pIPS 27" 1080p TN panel......

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 hours ago, Kloaked said:

hey look @MageTank the benchmarks were updated :^)

Now THAT is more like it. Makes far more sense now. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

The updated results make a lot more sense than the mess that was before, but still, R9 Fury matching / beating GTX 1070? What sorcery is this? Does the game use Async to the max?

Or is it just because it was developed and tweaked for AMD-based consoles first

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

13 minutes ago, Energycore said:

The updated results make a lot more sense than the mess that was before, but still, R9 Fury matching / beating GTX 1070? What sorcery is this? Does the game use Async to the max?

no it's because the game use very high-end very detailed and realistic textures and i think a wide memory bus and fast memory sub system is of big help for that particular game...i think HBM help, and so does a 512bit wide memory bus like the 390X for example. Game puts a lot of stress on VRAM.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

5 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

no it's because the game use very high-end very detailed and realistic textures and i think a wide memory bus and fast memory sub system is of big help for that particular game...i think HBM help, and so does a 512bit wide memory bus like the 390X for example. Game puts a lot of stress on VRAM.

Interesting, if that were true then we would see the 290 and 290X lag way behind the 390X.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Interesting, if that were true then we would see the 290 and 290X lag way behind the 390X.

Those are average FPS though...which can be (and are) deceptive sometimes...i would suggest you look at the frametimes with the FCAT plots they provided, here you can see the GTX 1070 is a hell of a lot smoother and even the RX 480 provide similar end result to the Fury:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/resident_evil_7_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,8.html

So in terms of gaming experience the GTX 1070 is a lot superior.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

5 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Those are average FPS though...which can be (and are) deceptive sometimes...i would suggest you look at the frametimes with the FCAT plots they provided, here you can see the GTX 1070 is a hell of a lot smoother and even the RX 480 provide similar end result to the Fury:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/resident_evil_7_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,8.html

It's nice when a reviewer posts not only an issue but also how to fix it (disable shadow cache)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Energycore said:

It's nice when a reviewer posts not only an issue but also how to fix it (disable shadow cache)

yeah but it would have been great if they would taken a couple hours to properly assess and test the game and the available settings so that when they go to the ''bashing an article on the keyboard and rush it to be the first to publish results'' they already know what they are talking about and measuring so that the results are fair and accurate on the first try :P

When i saw the results and people saying ''that game was rushed it's not optimized and blah blah blah'' i was like hey no!! what the hell...i played the game already and it's flawless i'm getting my 100FPS at 1440p on my machine on high fidelity settings!!

12 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Those are average FPS though...which can (and are) deceptive sometimes...i would suggest you look at the frametimes with the FCAT plots they provided, here you can see the GTX 1070 is a hell of a lot smoother and even the RX 480 provide similar end result to the Fury:

So it looks like the Fury has enough horse power. But the insufficiency of VRAM is its Achilles' heel.

5 minutes ago, Deli said:

So it looks like the Fury has enough horse power. But the insufficient of VRAM is its Achilles' heel.

yes it would be interesting to lower texture quality one notch and see how that improves overall smoothness.

i hope we get a Digital Foundry performance analysis for this game...they always do excellent videos where they test a lot and it's always the better reviews IMHO.

9 minutes ago, Deli said:

So it looks like the Fury has enough horse power. But the insufficiency of VRAM is its Achilles' heel.

That said, the shadow cache option doesn't affect visuals, so it's as simple as AMD disables that option by default on the driver for cards with 4GB RAM or less on the driver side, and gone are the stutters.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Energycore said:

That said, the shadow cache option doesn't affect visuals, so it's as simple as AMD disables that option by default on the driver for cards with 4GB RAM or less on the driver side, and gone are the stutters.

that's something that will surface soon in the tech news i've been advised by some sources that the ''fine wine'' technology from AMD is exactly that...they target the settings that affect performance on radeon cards and prevent them to run flatout in some titles, increasing performance on radeon GPU by reducing image quality...so you think ''hey i'm running ULTRA and i'm getting a 10FPS boost'' but in reality you're running some settings on HIGH or MEDIUM and it can be seen in screenshots and images side by side.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

that's something that will surface soon in the tech news i've been advised by some sources that the ''fine wine'' technology from AMD is exactly that...they target the settings that affect performance on radeon cards and prevent them to run flatout in some titles, increasing performance on radeon GPU by reducing image quality...so you think ''hey i'm running ULTRA and i'm getting a 10FPS boost but in reality you're running some settings on HIGH or MEDIUM and it can be seen in screenshots and images side by side.

It would suck for AMD to actually reduce settings under the rug (or Nvidia for that matter, I've seen rumors of them doing the same), but considering shadow cache seems like it doesn't affect visuals I'm all for that.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

It would suck for AMD to actually reduce settings under the rug (or Nvidia for that matter, I've seen rumors of them doing the same), but considering shadow cache seems like it doesn't affect visuals I'm all for that.

that's the kind of things you do when you need to sell GPU's real bad and you have a very limited budget to allow for driver optimization.

They can for example limit rendering distances, maximum shadow resolution, tesselation etc. through driver updates, and apparently, they are doing just that...they are cheating to get better performance.

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

that's the kind of things you do when you need to sell GPU's real bad and you have a very limited budget to allow for driver optimization.

They can for example limit rendering distances, maximum shadow resolution, tesselation etc. through driver updates, and apparently, they are doing just that...they are cheating to get better performance.

If it doesn't affect the level of detail (like 8 samples tessellation looks the exact same as 64 samples), why is it cheating?

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

If it doesn't affect the level of detail (like 8 samples tessellation looks the exact same as 64 samples), why is it cheating?

well, im of the ones that think ULTRA is not worth it and HIGH usually looks just as good and perform a lot better...but some people would disagree.

And in a way you want an apple to apple comparison, not a tweaked apple to an apple...you know...but you do have a point...but still, :P

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

well, im of the ones that think ULTRA is not worth it and HIGH usually looks just as good and perform a lot better...but some people would disagree.

And in a way you want an apple to apple comparison, not a tweaked apple to an apple...you know...but you do have a point...but still, :P

I feel like we've had the "should GPU makers tweak settings" argument before ;)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

On 1/25/2017 at 4:29 AM, WereCat said:

Exactly.

R9 390x beating FuryX

R9 Fury Nano beating RX 470

RX 470 beating R9 Fury Nano

R9 390 beating R9 FuryX

R9 Fury beating R9 390

R9 390 beating RX 470

RX 470 beating R9 390

RX 480 beating R9 390

R9 390 beating RX 480

Something is terribly wrong with this game.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

My stock g1 GTX970 is 1380mhz.

I tested DSR on the demo, new driver.

1440p Taa.

Set Maximum everything at first.

Turned shadows to high, reflections on variable. 55>66fps jump (changed settings in the hallway)

Game plays now at 50fps at lowest, 50-55fps in kitchen, 65-72fps averages.

It does swing back n forth a bit in heavy scenes but its damn pretty and playable.

Tested 4k with these settings.

28-31fps, turning bloom off, ssao to variable and its 28-50fps lowest to highest with avgs of just above 30-35fps constant, heavy kitchen scene brings it to 28fps.

Just passing this on for fellow GTX970 users.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

19 hours ago, Energycore said:

Those benchmarks are average fps scores right?

Hmmm..  I don't have a 4K monitor yet but I'm wondering would you consider about 37 fps to be playable?

(That seems to be about what my 1070 would run RE7 at on 4K.) 

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Hmmm..  I don't have a 4K monitor yet but I'm wondering would you consider about 37 fps to be playable?

(That seems to be about what my 1070 would run RE7 at on 4K.) 

Run RE7 at 4k through DSR and see if you can tolerate it.

Some people can and others can't. It depends on the person and what they're willing to put up with. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

25 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Run RE7 at 4k through DSR and see if you can tolerate it.

Some people can and others can't. It depends on the person and what they're willing to put up with. 

Is that in the Nvidia control panel?  

Also, I'm getting the game on PS4.  Though I'm tempted to get it on PC since the first copy I ordered from Amazon was damaged and the replacement hasn't come yet.  Also I have $20 in steam credit I could put towards it.  ?