Computer Turning Itself On And PSU Question

SuperShermanTanker

So my PC turns itself on and yes you heard me right it turns itself on and I already narrowed it down to only having the motherboard and my Corsiar CX750M power supply hooked up with only the CPU and a single stick of RAM in on the old motherboard and it still turned itself on then I RMAd the motherboard and it was fine until I started to overclock my CPU and now it turns itself back on again. Now the motherboard is brand new and it did work fine without self powering on for a few months until I tried overclocking the CPU and now I'm wondering if it's just my power supply since it isn't the highest quality one and probably might not like the voltages from the overclock. I do want to test a different PSU but the only other spare PSU I have is a 5 year old Thermaltake TR2 500 watt unit and that isn't the highest quality thing either but it's the only other PSU I can use to test it and I just don't know if I should trust that PSU in my main machine for a week to test it to see if it is my Corsair PSU and not the motherboard again. The Thermaltake PSU I have does work fine and powers up fine but I don't know how well it'll handle the 350-400 watt load from my main desktop under load for a long period of time since I do edit videos on my main desktop.

My computer used to do that too with a PSU of questionable quality.  Putting it on a UPS solved it, and I have also since upgraded the PSU (at a later date).  I haven't tested, but I suspect that if I were to plug it in directly again, it wouldn't have the problem.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Ooooo...the TR2, totally not a T7 PSU xD 

Although I think it's the PSU, have you tried uplugging the case's power switch from the motherboard? Maybe that's short circuiting? 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

probably the power button lol, might be PSU tho if mains power isnt the greatest. my computer will also turn itself on but thats only if i leave it in sleep mode for around 3 days usiually

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ooooo...the TR2, totally not a T7 PSU xD 

Although I think it's the PSU, have you tried uplugging the case's power switch from the motherboard? Maybe that's short circuiting? 

Yes I have and it's not the case

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

probably the power button lol, might be PSU tho if mains power isnt the greatest. my computer will also turn itself on but thats only if i leave it in sleep mode for around 3 days usiually

It's not the case I narrowed that out of the equation on the old motherboard

1 minute ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

It's not the case I narrowed that out of the equation on the old motherboard

kay then its the PSU, probably your wall powers foult, a better PSU would have more capacitance and better caps overall and minimise any problems there i would guess

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Yeah, sorry if it wasn't clear from my initial post, but I strongly suspect the PSU as well.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

11 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

kay then its the PSU, probably your wall powers foult, a better PSU would have more capacitance and better caps overall and minimise any problems there i would guess

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah, sorry if it wasn't clear from my initial post, but I strongly suspect the PSU as well.

Then what should I do should I just try the thermaltake or should I just drop the money on a new PSU

Just now, SuperShermanTanker said:

Then what should I do should I just try the thermaltake or should I just drop the money on a new PSU

If you have another one in the house and don't mind the time necessary to do a swap, try it.  If not, or if the problem persists, I'd buy a good one using the list on the forum here (link in my sig)

2 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

the TR2 is a pretty crappy unit, i would sell both and drop the money on someting like an EVGA G2

Builds:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If you have another one in the house and don't mind the time necessary to do a swap, try it.  If not, or if the problem persists, I'd buy a good one using the list on the forum here (link in my sig)

I got this as a my only spare one that not a no name cheapo one

20161101_032229610_iOS.jpg

1 minute ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

Yeah I might just do what was mentioned above...

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

the TR2 is a pretty crappy unit, i would sell both and drop the money on someting like an EVGA G2

3 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

pick up used Delta units of your local used market, there are usiually a few around at 370W-500W for just a few $ because people think they are shit because they are greay and a "no name" brand

Builds:

Spoiler

So I came to the conclusion I'm just going to get a new better quality power supply at microcenter tomorrow and see if that fixes it

16 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

That'll fix it it's not a EVGA G2 but they are pretty much built the sameimage.jpeg

16 hours ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

So I came to the conclusion I'm just going to get a new better quality power supply at microcenter tomorrow and see if that fixes it

Yeah, I have a friend's dead TR2 600W that went up in smoke that I threw away already...the dog was having fun dragging it on the floor...

The new PSU should fix it. I do find it strange that the PC turns itself on. That's a new one for me.

For me, my PC would turn itself on due do the onboard ASUS Wifi card on the motherboard. I remember if I installed some ASUS Wi-Fi software it would turn the PC on randomly. I forgot what the software was supposed to do at this point and I just removed it according to what others with the same board have said online.

1 hour ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

That'll fix it it's not a EVGA G2 but they are pretty much built the same

*Seasonic*

Excellent choice, and thanks for shopping at Microcenter ^^

41 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, I have a friend's dead TR2 600W that went up in smoke that I threw away already...the dog was having fun dragging it on the floor...

The new PSU should fix it. I do find it strange that the PC turns itself on. That's a new one for me.

For me, my PC would turn itself on due do the onboard ASUS Wifi card on the motherboard. I remember if I installed some ASUS Wi-Fi software it would turn the PC on randomly. I forgot what the software was supposed to do at this point and I just removed it according to what others with the same board have said online.

In my house the electrical cables in the wall are so old they are made of aluminum and the house is wired so badly that if you do something like turn on the microwave the lights flicker a bit so I'm thinking it's just the fact of bad electrical in my house messing with the machine making it turn itself on

42 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

In my house the electrical cables in the wall are so old they are made of aluminum and the house is wired so badly that if you do something like turn on the microwave the lights flicker a bit so I'm thinking it's just the fact of bad electrical in my house messing with the machine making it turn itself on

Well, I would think it would make the PC turn off, rather than on. The PSU relies on the signal wire to turn on.

Yeah, my house is wired with aluminum as well. At least we have the proper gauge of wire so no flickering. However, the street transformer is getting old and during most storms our power goes from 80 to 110V according to my UPS.

11 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Well, I would think it would make the PC turn off, rather than on. The PSU relies on the signal wire to turn on.

Yeah, my house is wired with aluminum as well. At least we have the proper gauge of wire so no flickering. However, the street transformer is getting old and during most storms our power goes from 80 to 110V according to my UPS.

A UPS is the next thing on my list to get but for now I'm hoping this power supply I bought has enough filtration to filter out the power from my wall