Samsung Galaxy S8 Announced?

Flobberknock
14 minutes ago, dizmo said:

That'd be unfortunate, I'm hoping that's just an oversight. I wouldn't buy it if it's not USB Type C.

What content? I have yet to see a phone where the on screen buttons stay present when content is being viewed.

Even the ones located under the display panel?

I assume you mean under the display like on Samsung phones and other phones that have it at the bottom front of the device (versus embedded beneath the glass like is rumored for the S8)

I haven't tried Samsung's but I've tried other sensors that doubles as a capacitive home button and they're always active. If Samsung's doesn't require a button press to activate, then it's always active as well. The battery drain is negligible because of the DSP.

And the S8 definitely has a USB Type C port. The Note 7 had one and the new line of Galaxy A devices have it too, so it's a given that it will be Type C on the S8. Any pictures depicting the S8 with a Micro B port can be dismissed as fake.

12 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I assume you mean under the display like on Samsung phones and other phones that have it at the bottom front of the device (versus embedded beneath the glass like is rumored for the S8)

I haven't tried Samsung's but I've tried other sensors that doubles as a capacitive home button and they're always active. If Samsung's doesn't require a button press to activate, then it's always active as well. The battery drain is negligible because of the DSP.

And the S8 definitely has a USB Type C port. The Note 7 had one and the new line of Galaxy A devices have it too, so it's a given that it will be Type C on the S8. Any pictures depicting the S8 with a Micro B port can be dismissed as fake.

I mean under the glass. AFAIK there aren't any phones that actually implement the technology yet.

I know that others are always active. Samsungs aren't, as they do require a press of the home button.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I mean under the glass. AFAIK there aren't any phones that actually implement the technology yet.

I know that others are always active. Samsungs aren't, as they do require a press of the home button.

The under the glass variant will be interesting. If it's not visible, it might be necessary to use the display to create a virtual marker for the sensor. I mean it could work without but it might need that marker to be user-friendly (unless they place it in an obvious and easy to hit location with a very forgiving scan radius). That would also mean that it would be best suited for OLED displays as it would require an always-on display with the appropriate power characteristics. But that would also mean the sensor is always active. Of course, it would be disabled in your pocket just like the screen through the proximity sensor so it's not that bad for battery anyway.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

exactly, they'll take up screen space and get in the way of 16:9 content unless the screen is 16:10.

Of course you can make them hide but I've tried that, it gets annoying on a touch screen.

I've no issue with hiding them on my G2. I still do prefer them over physical buttons and find them more convenient on touchscreens. :P

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

4 hours ago, DocSwag said:

If you just translated the description you would've realized this is a video about how great Samsung AMOLED displays are. Seriously. This is a direct translation from Google Translate:

Screw that, we gotta HYPE things up! THERE ARE NO BRAKES ON THE HYPE TRAIN! CHOO CHOO~

This looks more of the size of a Note class phone. Maybe even a Mega.This could be the Note 8. But that is just speculating...

Interesting phone design though. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

44 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

The under the glass variant will be interesting. If it's not visible, it might be necessary to use the display to create a virtual marker for the sensor. I mean it could work without but it might need that marker to be user-friendly (unless they place it in an obvious and easy to hit location with a very forgiving scan radius). That would also mean that it would be best suited for OLED displays as it would require an always-on display with the appropriate power characteristics. But that would also mean the sensor is always active. Of course, it would be disabled in your pocket just like the screen through the proximity sensor so it's not that bad for battery anyway.

Yeah, it's nice to see companies finally trying it out considering it was supported in the 820. I'm hoping they don't have to have any of the screen illuminated at all. Even basic "always on" set ups where few pixels are lit really take a chunk out of the battery life. The proximity sensor would make sense, hopefully it'd be more sensitive than the one in the Nexus 5x.

I can't wait to see what pops up in the next couple of months. I think the Nokia 8 is still front runner for my phone for this year, but we'll see. Blackberry Mercury could be a solid choice until the Note8.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

30 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Yeah, it's nice to see companies finally trying it out considering it was supported in the 820. I'm hoping they don't have to have any of the screen illuminated at all. Even basic "always on" set ups where few pixels are lit really take a chunk out of the battery life. The proximity sensor would make sense, hopefully it'd be more sensitive than the one in the Nexus 5x.

I can't wait to see what pops up in the next couple of months. I think the Nokia 8 is still front runner for my phone for this year, but we'll see. Blackberry Mercury could be a solid choice until the Note8.

Yeah, it's still hard for them to reduce power consumption on displays; it's still the biggest power hog along with radios.

The proximity sensor should keep the display and all of the other stuff deactivated when in the pocket regardless of sensitivity unless it's straight up broken.

Maybe the marker could be a few pixels only to maximize energy efficiency but there is a possibility that the sensor could be implemented without it but it needs clever design otherwise they'll have complaints that users can't hit the sensor properly and will have lots of denied scans and that could kill a phone entirely.

I'm waiting myself. I'm kinda fucked though. Most phones are moving to OLED displays and I'm sensitive to PWM and all OLED displays use PWM. So I'll have to cross my fingers that they either solve that issue for OLEDs or I have to hope a great phone with a LCD display comes out which seems increasingly unlikely. I'm still on my LG G2 from 2013. I'm itching to upgrade. MWC 2017 can't come soon enough. 

Meh. This is not reveal.. Either way I'd like to see non edge version don't like edge one.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 2017-01-17 at 1:18 PM, Trixanity said:

I'm waiting myself. I'm kinda fucked though. Most phones are moving to OLED displays and I'm sensitive to PWM and all OLED displays use PWM. So I'll have to cross my fingers that they either solve that issue for OLEDs or I have to hope a great phone with a LCD display comes out which seems increasingly unlikely. I'm still on my LG G2 from 2013. I'm itching to upgrade. MWC 2017 can't come soon enough. 

The one in the Nexus 5X just takes forever to recognize you've moved it. I'm not the hugest fan.

I guess we'll just have to wait until March and see what they have in store for us! The leaks of the front glass and sizing already looks promising. Looks like they've really nailed the large phone space this time around.

Hmm interesting, what does PWM do to you? In a few years the world may be a very uncomfortable place for you!
Though I'm sure they can easily find a work around for it, if needed.

OLED is one of the main things I look for in a phone. Though I've heard the LCD panel in the Mate9 is quite something.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, dizmo said:

The one in the Nexus 5X just takes forever to recognize you've moved it. I'm not the hugest fan.

I guess we'll just have to wait until March and see what they have in store for us! The leaks of the front glass and sizing already looks promising. Looks like they've really nailed the large phone space this time around.

Hmm interesting, what does PWM do to you? In a few years the world may be a very uncomfortable place for you!
Though I'm sure they can easily find a work around for it, if needed.

OLED is one of the main things I look for in a phone. Though I've heard the LCD panel in the Mate9 is quite something.

Headaches and very tired eyes (eye strain). A minority are sensitive to it. Most desktop monitors don't have it anymore and lots of laptops are also starting to move away from it. Many LCD phones don't have it either. One of the writers over at Anandtech said they use PWM on OLED displays because it prevents dramatic hue shifts which is understandable but it's unpleasant for the eyes especially at the low frequencies (usually 240 Hz for OLED) they use. Even people without sensitivity may experience increased eye fatigue from it. So there is good reason to move away from it in the industry when possible. There has been increased attention to it in recent years but most of the major publications don't spend any time addressing it, so there is a vocal niche who's trying to get manufacturers to step up and move onto voltage regulated brightness. I'm confident that they can get rid of it entirely if they put the R&D into it but I doubt it's much of a priority :) 

I have the Mate 9 on my list if MWC (or IFA + other Q3 events - if I can wait that long) don't pan out. The display is verified as very ideal for me (so to speak) but I still feel like Huawei needs to improve their software. It's not available in my country though, so I'd have to order it on Amazon and get it shipped across the border. 

I know the LG G6 will have an LCD panel with an odd aspect ratio of 18:9 (or 2:1) so that will be a very tall phone but LG hasn't really been doing well on either software or hardware recently but perhaps they'll bring their A-game this time? I doubt they'll drastically change the software experience between the V20 and the G6, so I'm not sure I'll bite on that either.

So the rest is a bit up in the air for me. I'm looking forward to a replacement though. I didn't expect to keep my G2 for this long. I'm at the 3½ year mark now. The Snapdragon 800 has been quite resilient.