How to copy blurays to mediaserver for home theatre

On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 4:54 AM, dragoon20005 said:

as a kid i didn't think of anything else

we only share the good stuffs

no money was gain here

buying a DVD video disc at that time was out of the question when they cost at least 50-60 dollars and no working income

renting was the only cheaper option to acquire movie discs

and i can assure you ripping movies from the DVDs are much harder as compared to the tools you use these days

You are pretty much using file crackers which are MS-DOS written and takes hours to pull just one 4.7GB disc.

Sounds like someone decided you would make a good example. A 10K fine is quite steep (read: extremely excessive) for a non-violent crime. A DUI nets a much lesser fine despite being an arguably (and objectively) more severe offense. I'd argue that the penal fines/penalties should be much lesser in line with severity, but you could be sued directly for proven damages by the owners of the content. Alas, common sense is seemingly non existent.

Aside from what can be directly recorded, I do not download pirated content or programs, and will not provide them for anyone asking for my assistance. (I provide assistance with emulators as well, but will not directly provide any copyrighted software). I've had people ask to get them MS Office for free, I gave them a CD with OpenOffice (before Libre) instead. For Dvds and Blu ray, the software available today can do the job without my help. 

It's not that I wasn't a pirate before, but I do not want the responsibility of supporting shady software (ie, Malware kills someone's pc), nor the legal risks associated if someone has a loose tongue. In addition, some industries (anime) do actually need the support. And finally, with recent advances in open source software (some nearly on parity with their commercial counterparts), there is little reason to pirate production software. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Sounds like someone decided you would make a good example. A 10K fine is quite steep (read: extremely excessive) for a non-violent crime. A DUI nets a much lesser fine despite being an arguably (and objectively) more severe offense. I'd argue that the penal fines/penalties should be much lesser in line with severity, but you could be sued directly for proven damages by the owners of the content. Alas, common sense is seemingly non existent.

Aside from what can be directly recorded, I do not download pirated content or programs, and will not provide them for anyone asking for my assistance. (I provide assistance with emulators as well, but will not directly provide any copyrighted software). I've had people ask to get them MS Office for free, I gave them a CD with OpenOffice (before Libre) instead. For Dvds and Blu ray, the software available today can do the job without my help. 

It's not that I wasn't a pirate before, but I do not want the responsibility of supporting shady software (ie, Malware kills someone's pc), nor the legal risks associated if someone has a loose tongue. In addition, some industries (anime) do actually need the support. And finally, with recent advances in open source software (some nearly on parity with their commercial counterparts), there is little reason to pirate production software. 

i wasnt the only one who was slapped with a heavy fine

there was one period that the local distributor for animes Odex sent lawyers letters to those downloaders using torrent to download animes.

They were ordered to pay the damages or face the court summons.

The highest i heard one guy has to pay was 30k for the number of animes he downloaded

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

@ItsJacob Thats a nice set up.

I'm currently in the process of ripping my entire bluray collection. It's a fairly long process though (need to finish ripping about 350 more discs). I start with MakeMKV and use that to rip the video as well as audio tracks I want to keep (usually english and spanish. Both in some form of surround sound). This yields a file around 25GB (for my movies). You could run it through handbrake and shrink the size and lower the bitrate, convert to mp4 if you so choose. If I add subtitles, I find a well formatted srt file and sync it using subtitle edit, than mux it using mkvtoolnix.

edit: you may need to play around with settings a bit, especially if working with animation. For instance my Aladdin rip degrades when theres fast moving scenes. I need to sit down and make some adjustments to the rip.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

19 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

there was one period that the local distributor for animes Odex sent lawyers letters to those downloaders using torrent to download animes.

Wasn't that the company that used fansubs for their releases instead of obtaining material directly from whomever they licensed it from.

12 hours ago, demonix00 said:

Wasn't that the company that used fansubs for their releases instead of obtaining material directly from whomever they licensed it from.

yes

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

dunno if it is "the best" way to do it but this is how i do it:

1. put movie disc in drive 

2. start handbrake, load movie into it, tweak settings to my liking

3. klick on "start"

4. wait 'til done

5. copy the converted file to my NAS

6. watch movie

handbrake has a pass-thru feature for audio, but it always does re-encode the video so there is some quality loss. and it does not preserve any menus or bonus content.

thats fine with me because i only want a convenient way to watch the movie on any device in the house.

if i really want to get the full experience in original quality with all the bonus bells and whistles i still have the original disc i can pull off the shelf like once a year. 

• 3 weeks later...