2560 x 1080 vs 2560 x 1440 for gaming

ChanceTheRapper

Can't decide which one is the best for gaming :

1. Can you guys help me ?

2. Could you pick up the best monitor for me please ?

1 minute ago, ChanceTheRapper said:

Can't decide which one is the best for gaming :

1. Can you guys help me ?

2. Could you pick up the best monitor for me please ?

Ultrawide will put black bars on the screen for games that don't support it.

For gaming I'd go with a 16:9 (1440p) and 144hz. Can't go wrong with that.

1 minute ago, RektSkrubs said:

Ultrawide will put black bars on the screen for games that don't support it.

For gaming I'd go with a 16:9 (1440p) and 144hz. Can't go wrong with that.

i dont know if im wrong with this but i picked 2k over 4k because no single gpu can handle 4k ultra settings at stable FPS and its not worth it , i havent seen them in action so i might be completely wrong 

i dont know if im wrong with this but i picked 2k over 4k because no single gpu can handle 4k ultra settings at stable FPS and its not worth it , i havent seen them in action so i might be completely wrong 

You are right. If you have a 1070 or 1080 atm and want a good experience, get a 1440p 144hz monitor.

Here's a few options -

1 minute ago, RektSkrubs said:

You are right. If you have a 1070 or 1080 atm and want a good experience, get a 1440p 144hz monitor.

Here's a few options -

Let me know what do you think about these 2 :

1  .       https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B0173PEX20/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484422282&sr=8-1&keywords=Acer+XB271HU 

2   .         https://www.amazon.com/PG279Q-2560x1440-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B017EVR2VM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484422305&sr=8-2&keywords=Acer+XB271HU

6 minutes ago, ChanceTheRapper said:

What card do you have? I would go with Gsync. The extra 21 Hz is not worth it, what's worth it is the Gsync but if you have an Nvidia card.

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

What card do you have? I would go with Gsync. The extra 21 Hz is not worth it, what's worth it is the Gsync but if you have an Nvidia card.

1080 FTW

1080 FTW

Go GSync. It will be worth it.

You mean with  Asus PG279Q ROG Swift right ?

yeah. oh wait fuck nvm they both have gsync. get the 165hz then.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Well  Asus can be overclocked to 165 :))))

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

- Asus seems to be much better tho 

I just got the ASUS PG279Q a couple months ago and absolutely love it. I think both monitors you posted are best of the best as far as 1440p IPS displays go so you cant go wrong. Just some notes after reading the pros/cons list above..

I do have some IPS glow on my lower right corner, however it is only noticeable when I go looking for it (find a completely black background to inspect my monitor) I also dont use 100% brightness because that is way to straining on my eyes.. I use 30

It does in fact overclock to 165Hz, however even with my GTX 1080, I struggle to hit 144fps (granted thats with high settings). I get ~90fps in witcher 3, 120fps in Doom, and ~140fps in BF1. It was definitely NOT a selling point for me, since I dont think I can personally see the difference between 144 and 165, let alone get the fps to make use of that refresh rate.

The monitor is absolutely amazing though, and I do not regret any part of my purchase. Its so hard to go back to 1080p monitors now!

1 minute ago, username455 said:

I just got the ASUS PG279Q a couple months ago and absolutely love it. I think both monitors you posted are best of the best as far as 1440p IPS displays go so you cant go wrong. Just some notes after reading the pros/cons list above..

I do have some IPS glow on my lower right corner, however it is only noticeable when I go looking for it (find a completely black background to inspect my monitor) I also dont use 100% brightness because that is way to straining on my eyes.. I use 30

It does in fact overclock to 165Hz, however even with my GTX 1080, I struggle to hit 144fps (granted thats with high settings). I get ~90fps in witcher 3, 120fps in Doom, and ~140fps in BF1. It was definitely NOT a selling point for me, since I dont think I can personally see the difference between 144 and 165, let alone get the fps to make use of that refresh rate.

The monitor is absolutely amazing though, and I do not regret any part of my purchase. Its so hard to go back to 1080p monitors now!

so basically this is the best monitor for gaming :P i guess :))

3 minutes ago, ChanceTheRapper said:

so basically this is the best monitor for gaming :P i guess :))

In my humble opinion, yes :) Its IPS, 1440p, 144-165hz, low input lag. It also has a minor but awesome feature of instantly turning on (no splash logo) which I enjoy more than I thought I would.

The only other monitor I was seriously considering was the ASUS pg348q ultrawide. However, I wanted a >100Hz monitor for FPS games, and my frames would be even lower with that increased resolution. However, I am sure that would be a much more immersive monitor. Also quite a bit more expensive, which was another factor. Maybe in a year or so I will get that one hehe

I currently have a 4K monitor (though I'm a 60Hz pleb) and I can run a few games at 4K on high with my 980ti, I typically run at 1440p to prevent any FPS dips.

That said, I've ordered a 1440p ultrawide (still at my 60Hz pleb standard) as I find myself constantly scaling to 1440p anyways and I think I'll enjoy the increased width of an ultrawide over the 16:9.

If you want 144Hz+, 1440p 16:9 seems to be where it's at right now. I've only seen ultrawides at 1440p get around 100Hz (and typically without gsync).