Maingear announces Pulse 17, the 'world's thinnest' 17-inch gaming notebook

Ethnod

I have to say, I am very very impressed with this. If money is no object (prices start at just over $2k) then this might be the gaming laptop for you. With an Intel Core i7 4700HQ, Geforce GTX 765M, 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 - 1600Mhz, Killer NIC, 1TB HDD and 2x 480GBGB SSD in Raid 0 and a Removable Li-Polymer Lithium-Ion the specs are very very impressive. TBH until I can see a hands on review of this by someone I respect (cough @Linus) I am going to reserve comment but I will say I am impressed

pulse17.jpg

Technical Specification:
  • Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M
  • Display: 17.3" Full HD 1920 x 1080 - (1080p) Widescreen (16:9 Aspect Ratio) LED Backlit
  • Processor: Intel® Core i7 4700HQ
  • Memory: 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 - 1600Mhz
  • Hard Drive: Up to 1TB HDD and 2x 480GBGB Solid State Drive
  • Network Adapter: Killer™ Gaming NIC, 802.11n Wireless, optional 802.11ac
  • Audio: 2 speakers, 1 sub-woofer
  • Media Card Reader: Built in 7-in-1 Media Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/SD/Mini-SD)
  • Operating System: Genuine Windows® 8 Home, Professional or Ultimate 64-Bit
  • Battery: Removable Li-Polymer Lithium-Ion
  • I/O Ports: 1 HDMI out, 4 USB 3.0, 2 mini display ports, , 1 RJ-45 LAN
  • Dimensions: (W)16.47" x (H)0.85" x (D)11.29"
  • Price: Starts at $2099

Source:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/04/maingear-pulse-17-gaming-laptop

http://www.maximumpc.com/maingear_makes_move_thin_and_light_gaming_laptops_pulse_172013

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=7003&news=Maingear_Introduces_Ultra_Thin_Pulse_17_Gaming_Notebook

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

just thick enough for USB, nice!

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Impressive but i don't like "gaming" notebooks that are massively overpriced. Why would you put 2k or over in a notebook that would give you the gaming experience of a 700-1000 dollar at most desktop.

Finally a gaming/WS laptop that doesn't look like it it designed for kids. I wish all laptops looked this sleek. The blue/red trim is a nice touch while not making it look to outlandish. Also, that thin form factor  :o !

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

It actually looks really nice! But 'dat price tag.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

I'm wondering if the 2 mini-DPs also provide thunderbolt?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

im guessing the heat on the keyboard is gonna be alot. 

Impressive but i don't like "gaming" notebooks that are massively overpriced. Why would you put 2k or over in a notebook that would give you the gaming experience of a 700-1000 dollar at most desktop.

its for people who travel or people who use their computers outside of their houses. i bring my laptop so i can play games in my bullcrap college classes that the school is making me take to graduate.

Well, you no longer need a grill, just place food on keyboard, furmark+prime, wait and bam, cooked food. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

If they old had a single SSD and filled the rest with a larger battery, it would be the ultimate portable gaming machine pair that with an xbox controller you will have a console for the aeroplane or train ride

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

Dude, have you read the specs? No offence, but do you have any idea of what is required to get all of that into a space that small? Like I said, I am reserving judgement for another time but I remain impressed tbh

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I bet it's just a rebranded MSI GS70. A lot of slim gaming laptops are. The exception being the Razer Blade which set the stage for ultrabook form factors for gaming laptops. 

Tell me it has good battery life please. This looks so promising.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

I never understood 17in laptops or gaming ones so I don't really get this either. Do you need that big of a screen and for 2k? 

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

All signs are pointing that it's a MSI. 

I never understood 17in laptops or gaming ones so I don't really get this either. Do you need that big of a screen and for 2k? 

I never understood 27" desktop gaming. I have a 23" monitor, and that is a tad large for me. It's personal likes. I am sure that there are people that can't game in anything but 27" at 2.5K, while I can't stand anything but 1080p, and I have a friend that doe not care at all about 1080 gaming

If the price was 1500 I'd grab one when it went on sale to 1000 :3 like I did with my current laptop. I like the power and size. I wonder how it'll preform under max load :3.. feel like overheating would be a problem with it

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not even an ips panel? don't care. anything under 1" is perfectly fine, and thats horrible compared to some of the other ultrablade options out there.

cool a replacement for my electric stove top!

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I bet it's just a rebranded MSI GS70. A lot of slim gaming laptops are. The exception being the Razer Blade which set the stage for ultrabook form factors for gaming laptops.

Looks like it. The ports are the exact same as on the GS70. With this being the case, I really don't see why anyone should buy this since the GS70 itself is $400 less, and the only difference seems to be that this comes with a 256gb ssd and a 1tb hard drive standard, as opposed to the 128gb ssd and 750b hard drive.

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

I realy wish this whole raid 0 ssd  trend would go aways  I mean really ssds are fast enough by themselves and most people would put there osn on them so why not raid 1 ?

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Now I just need $2,000

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

I realy wish this whole raid 0 ssd  trend would go aways  I mean really ssds are fast enough by themselves and most people would put there osn on them so why not raid 1 ?

I'm confused, how can you be 1337 without a 1TB Raid 0 SSD system? :/

I'm confused, how can you be 1337 without a 1TB Raid 0 SSD system? :/

because I am not 1337 I am practical, and considering how thin that laptop is I doubt it would be easy to do maintenance on it,

the first thing I would do if I got one (which I won't) is delete the raid set up and then set those two to be raid 1 for redundancy

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

just thick enough for USB, nice!

Usb is the perfect thickness isnt it?

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

If only they made a sorta $1500ish version of this...

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270