Motion Blur: GPU, Monitor or Software?

Hi all,

first of all I must tell you that I am no beginner when it comes to PC Hardware but I am also not too deep in the details. For over several days I am trying to find my "bottleneck" in my Rig or maybe even my monitor?

Here is my question:

I love playing ego shooter games, at the moment I am mostly playing BF1. But there is always something that bothers me with ego shooter games (maybe only games that need much power), when I run fast or move my mouse around quicker, I get a lot of motion blur. This means everything gets quiet fuzzy and makes it harder for me to see enemies... I need to stay still for everything to be sharp again. I am not saying that I am running blindly around but the blurring made me overlook enemies that are a bit hidden or maybe smaller. 

So I did some research and found out that this seems to be a common problem with video games. It could be the GPU with the fps or the monitor with the hz. When I play BF1 I am mostly around 70-100 fps (1080p) but my GPU is running 100% usage. Also my CPU is at max mostly (But this seams to be also with much more powerful CPUs). 

Right now I am using a 1080p 60hz 2ms monitor and I think that a 120hz monitor might fix my motion blur problem. But when I ask the question 60hz or 120hz monitor, I get half saying 60hz and half saying 120hz...

So my question is now, should I upgrade my GPU to get more fps or upgrade my monitor to 120hz? Has anybody had the same experience after changing to more hz?

If so, will 120hz be enough or is the 140hz more worth buying? I don't want to waste money just for a little improvement. Also my GPU is not that strong and I don't want to cut down much on the beautiful graphics  by lowering the graphic settings.

Here my Hardware/Software:
Win10 64bit

Radeon Drivers up2date

BF1 running with DX11 (DX12 crashes...)

Intel i5 3,2ghz 

8GB RAM (DDR3, 1600MT/s)

Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC, 4GB GDDR5

SSD inside

Monitor: Samsung S24A350H (60hz, 1080p, 2ms)

Thank you in advance for any help ^_^

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

Might sound like an insult with how simple this is, but do you have motion blur turned on in the games graphic settings?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Sorry, forgot to mention it... No turned to 0 :/

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

To get the motion blur you're describing it's more than likely just in the game settings (unless you use a super old LCD with GTG times in excess of about 18ms).

(sidenote: The rig I play CS:GO and TF2 on has a GTG of 12ms, and the motion blur is hardly noticeable when I'm "in the zone" unless I try to look for it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Have you tried playing any other FPS such as CS:GO? In my experience the motion blur seems to be much more prevalent in BF1 than any other shooter I've played. (GTA, CS:GO, Arma 3)

8 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

To get the motion blur you're describing it's more than likely just in the game settings (unless you use a super old LCD with GTG times in excess of about 18ms).

(sidenote: The rig I play CS:GO and TF2 on has a GTG of 12ms, and the motion blur is hardly noticeable when I'm "in the zone" unless I try to look for it.

No, my GTG (Reaction Time) is 2ms. Should be enough? But I've also read that there is a visual difference between 2ms and 1ms? 

My Setup: 

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Have you tried playing any other FPS such as CS:GO? In my experience the motion blur seems to be much more prevalent in BF1 than any other shooter I've played. (GTA, CS:GO, Arma 3)

I can't answer this 100% because before BF1 I was playing games like HOTS or Diablo3. I had this issue also with BF4 BUT with my older GPU I had back then (Sapphire  Radeon HD 7870, 2GB GDDR5). It could be that I had the GPU bottleneck back then, I never looked up the fps I had.

My Setup: 

Ahh... reminiscing back on my D3 days...

Off topic and unrelated to your motion blur issue but I recently checked back on D3 as I figured I could get back into it... but it seems for the past 6 months they haven't really updated or added anything worth noting. :(

5 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

No, my GTG (Reaction Time) is 2ms. Should be enough? But I've also read that there is a visual difference between 2ms and 1ms? 

One 2ms monitor may actually perform totally different than another 2 ms monitor. Take those numbers with a grain of salt because every manufacturer has their own way of testing it, and you may find a 8ms panel that performs better than a 1ms one.

This definitely sounds like a visual setting in game and nothing to do with your hardware.

The only other thing I can think of is to go through the settings on your monitor and play around with "response time" or whatever settings if there are any.

ie. on my dell monitor, if I set it to "quick" response time, I notice ghosting, but it I leave it at normal, everything looks great.

When in doubt, re-format.

8 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

I personally don't notice any difference between 4-5ms and 1-2ms, but then again I don't game competitively.

But honestly, anything 12ms or lower should be fine on the motion blur front, assuming you're not overly picky like me.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, pwn_intended said:

One 2ms monitor may actually perform totally different than another 2 ms monitor. Take those numbers with a grain of salt because every manufacturer has their own way of testing it, and you may find a 8ms panel that performs better than a 1ms one.

This definitely sounds like a visual setting in game and nothing to do with your hardware.

The only other thing I can think of is to go through the settings on your monitor and play around with "response time" or whatever settings if there are any.

ie. on my dell monitor, if I set it to "quick" response time, I notice ghosting, but it I leave it at normal, everything looks great.

Thanks for the hint. I will check my monitor settings. I know it is now set to Gaming (not sure if it really will change something on the ms because my monitor is about 6 years old.?)

My Setup: 

5 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Ahh... reminiscing back on my D3 days...

Off topic and unrelated to your motion blur issue but I recently checked back on D3 as I figured I could get back into it... but it seems for the past 6 months they haven't really updated or added anything worth noting. :(

No, nothing new... The Addon they released was holding me for about a week and then ZzZzZz. Therefore I was more into HOTS :D

My Setup: 

On my monitor, the quick response time setting is supposed to be the "gaming" mode, but the ghosting is far more distracting than the added like 5ms of lag when I turn it off.

When in doubt, re-format.

Another thought: Isn't it easy to test the motion blur of the monitor if I move the mouse or an explorer Window? The so called Strobing

pretty good explained here:

What you guys think?

My Setup: