Is it better to use a VPN or change the MAC address in the router which should change the real IP.

bossman1

I am just wondering if the countless offerings of VPN software whether it be paid or free is good enough these days. I use Tunnel Bear which is what Linus endorses so it has to be the best VPN there is right?

Tunnel bear is fine, but it's far from the best. Best is subjective though, if you're not a very technical person then something with an easy to navigate user interface like tunnel bear might be best, but if you're someone like me then they restrict communication protocols too much for my personal use.

For privacy, vpn's are the way to go, hands down.

Honestly, swapping your mac address won't really do anything. The purpose of a vpn is to hide your address and physical location. Jumping mac addresses to try and change your public ip won't do anything but change the number, it will still point at your residence though, and your isp/gov't will be able to see who you're connecting to still without any issue at all.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

It really depends on what you intend to do.

In terms of Tunnel Bear, they do seem to support a wide range of devices (via OpenVPN, as well as native applications which from what I can see, is easy to use) but do not support things such as SOCKS4/5. From what I can tell, people are put off because they didn't know this beforehand. However, I've never used Tunnel Bear myself (I use PIA), so I can't really say from experience how well the service is.

As much as it sounds like a cop-out, it's important to research the VPN provider, and see if they include the features you want (Privacy, Simultaneous connections, SOCKS/PPTP support, etc.) before signing up for their service.

And for the love of god, do NOT use free VPNs or proxies.

1 hour ago, Mooshe said:

features you want (Privacy, Simultaneous connections, SOCKS/PPTP support, etc.

1 hour ago, Mooshe said:

proxies.

I do not know what these terms are, I have heard of proxy before but still clueless. I have heard of tunnelling but ya u guessed it.

If you forget about ease of use give me the run down of the top 5 best.

2 hours ago, Atmos said:

if you're not a very technical person then something with an easy to navigate user interface like tunnel bear might be best, but if you're someone like me then they restrict communication protocols too much for my personal use.

I ran my find my ip address and it got my postal code, I am scared now. I also tried that onion router and its slow as can be.

1 minute ago, bossman1 said:

I do not know what these terms are, I have heard of proxy before but still clueless. I have heard of tunnelling but ya u guessed it.

I ran my find my ip address and it got my postal code, I am scared now.

That's why you want to try and protect your ip when ever you're getting into dodgey stuff. It's nothing serious though, most places will protect your ip, and people won't be able to get your address, just a 5 square mile area roughly of where you might be.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

2 minutes ago, Atmos said:

That's why you want to try and protect your ip when ever you're getting into dodgey stuff. It's nothing serious though, most places will protect your ip, and people won't be able to get your address, just a 5 square mile area roughly of where you might be.

What do you mean by dodgy stuff?

Downloading torrents I understand that ;)

Is that PC magazine top 10 lists objective enough to rely on?

I ran my find my ip address and it got my postal code, I am scared now.

As I said before, it's really up to what you want in a VPN. If you want something easy to use, guaranteed no log retentions, vast selection of gateways, and up to 5 simultaneous connections, I would recommend Private Internet Access; I've used them for the past two years, and it's very easy to use.

Also, Resolving Geolocation via IP is hardly accurate, and can only limit it down from anywhere to a 20 mile radius, to just straight up not resolving it at all. There are much easier ways to track someone down, such as simply taking a look on social networks.

That is why I dont do social networks. It got the first digits of my zipcode though, so a generalized area.

I have heard this several times now that PIA is good, if I remember correctly it is more expensive then the rest. I will look into it.

2 minutes ago, Mooshe said:

is using mozilla in private browsing a worthwhile endevour?

I see that PIA is decently priced. I will compare features of PIA, Tunnel Bear and a few others like VPN Unlimited,

is using mozilla in private browsing a worthwhile endevour?

All that does is enable DNT and does not store cookies and the sort after the session is over. It's as effective as Incognito mode on Chrome, and does not protect ANY of your data, nor anonymize your access point.

I use mozilla but never the private browsing, but I do ccleaner a lot.

2 minutes ago, Mooshe said:

I found this site here http://www.vpnlist.net/ and it seems like a good list to go on.

I use mozilla but never the private browsing, but I do ccleaner a lot.

Using private browsing will have people who share your computer not know what you've been browsing, but it does not protect you from:

• Your ISP seeing what you're doing
  • Other people on your network spying on you
  • The websites you connect to can still see your IP and such.
  • Any Remote Access Tool from viewing your desktop

VPNs protect your data by encrypting it, as well as preventing outsiders from seeing where you're accessing from or what you're accessing.