Computer for sister.

maxime_vhw

My sister wants a computer to play games such as: far cry3, call of duty, sims3, ...

I dont know anything on the amd side...

I only know its cheaper... so ive chosen amd... :)

Would this be good for her?

Case: Cooler Master Elite 335U

PSU: Cooler Master GX Lite 700W

Mobo: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0

CPU: AMD Black Edition FX 8350

RAM: 8Gb Corsair Vengeance

HDD: WD Caviar Green WD20EARX

Gpu: Sapphite Radeon HD 7770 OC

I hope you can help me out :)

Most of it looks decent to me. Here are some suggestions:

Greens are a little slow for a boot drive. Maybe you could use Seagate? Lots of people say they're unreliable, but I have never had any problems with them.

If you're looking for the best low budget case, I would reccomend the Z9 from Zalman. I built in it for a friend recently, and it has a respectable build quality for its price point. You could even drop down to a Z5 (only $30 on newegg with rebates right now) which seems to be good for what it is as well.

Your PSU is outdated. Are you reusing it from an old build? If you are, then fair enough. But if you aren't, I'd go for a lower wattage power supply. There's no need for 700W for that build.

You might want to go for a cheaper motherboard and you might be able to squeeze in an upgrade on one of your components. That just goes down to the features your sister would like.

Most of it looks decent to me. Here are some suggestions:

Greens are a little slow for a boot drive. Maybe you could use Seagate? Lots of people say they're unreliable, but I have never had any problems with them.

If you're looking for the best low budget case, I would reccomend the Z9 from Zalman. I built in it for a friend recently, and it has a respectable build quality for its price point. You could even drop down to a Z5 (only $30 on newegg with rebates right now) which seems to be good for what it is as well.

Your PSU is outdated. Are you reusing it from an old build? If you are, then fair enough. But if you aren't, I'd go for a lower wattage power supply. There's no need for 700W for that build.

You might want to go for a cheaper motherboard and you might be able to squeeze in an upgrade on one of your components. That just goes down to the features your sister would like.

Does this seem any better? :)

Case: Zalman Z9

PSU: Cooler Master Thunder 600W

Mobo: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0

CPU: AMD Black Edition FX 8350

RAM: 8Gb Corsair Vengeance

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001

Gpu: Sapphite Radeon HD 7770 OC

are you planning to OC anything?
Probably not...

Small case + stock cooler... idk man... that will be to hot in my opinion...

I'd recommend CX500 from Corsair. It's priced excellently on newegg and it's almost always on sale. Cooler Master PSUs are typically hit or miss, but I've yet to hear anything inherently wrong with Corsair's PSUs since they use reliable OEMs.

If you ever do decide to OC, then try to sqeeze in $20-30 and buy yourself a cooler master hyper 212 cooler. It should fit just fine in a Z9. You should get decent enough airflow that you can get a moderate OC safely. That being said, it's probably not completely necessary for the games your sister seems to be playing right now. One thing I would consider doing is OC'ing the 7770 as far as you safely can. It's an excellent overclocker, and you should get some moderate boosts.

in that case, i would get a low end motherboard, and probably change the psu to something of 500w[i have a 8350 with gtx 550ti, running at 500w] and with some money saved, get a 64gb/128gb ssd boot drive. and make sure the ram is 2 x 4gb, and not 1 single 8gb stick

-Im going for corsair c500 bronze

-She doesnt want her pc to be OC ... idk why...µ

-the HD7770 is OC by sapphire... but maybe we can push it a bit more ;p

-She really doesnt need an ssd. she doesnt care about load times...

-Yes its 2x 4Gb

it seems about right then.
The pc can always be upgraded... :)

Well it all depends on how much she want's to spend. Firstly, ditch that case. I've never personally been much of a fan for Cooler Master, but either way a Corsair Carbide 200r case will be much much better, 100%. Good sized, being not too big but not too small, cutout panels for wiring, good built-in fans, and good clean airflow. And it's cheap as well at like $60-70. No to that PSU 100%. Corsair make a lot of great stuff, one of those being their PSU's. Depending on what her set-up will be, i.e how many monitors, resolution/game quality etc. I wouldn't recommend a CX(Builder Series) PSU. Although they're good, they're generally not good for gaming use. Corsair's TX(Enthusiast) range are great. Although she may not be an "Enthusiast" she'll be better of with one of those than a CX PSU. I'd recommend a TX650. Being maybe $100 it's pricey to say the least, but I think she'd rather have a little more than a little less, if you understand that. And the PSU is one thing you don't want to skimp on. Either that or a Corsair GS600W (2013 Edition) which is around $80.

You said you'd rather have an AMD CPU because AMD offer better bang for buck, which is true. So why have you chosen an FX 8350? I'm British so I'm just going of Google GBP>USD conversion, but you can pick up an Intel i5 3330(Quad Core) CPU for cheaper. Which will be better than a FX 8350. RAM, Corsair Vengeance's best quality RAM you can get for that price range. As far as HDD's go, I've always preferred Seagate. And you can pick up a Seagate 500GB HDD for.. $45-50? And a 1TB isn't much more either. I'd also highly recommend an SSD. They help in every way, faster boot-up times, faster application load times etc. And you can pick up an Intel 330 64GB SSD for.. Gosh, $50? Not much at all really.

As far as GPU's go, I'd 100% recommend you chose an NVIDIA card instead. I personally prefer them as well, due to their better architecture and just in general, plus it's been known for some games, within the same price point and benchmarks, to run smoother on NVIDIA GPU's than AMD GPU's. Where I'm from, you can't get 2GB 7770's, but I'm guessing a 1GB 7770 is what.. $150? For that price you could get a 1GB GTX 650Ti, but I wouldn't advise getting a 1GB card. I'd recommend you get an OC version 2GB GTX 650 instead, if she was willing to spend a little more a 2GB GTX 650Ti would be a lot better.

As far as GPU's go' date=' I'd 100% recommend you chose an NVIDIA card instead. I personally prefer them as well, due to their better architecture and just in general, plus it's been known for some games, within the same price point and benchmarks, to run smoother on NVIDIA GPU's than AMD GPU's..[/quote']

Says who? If you look at the benchmarks Linus has done, NVidia looses each time. Far Cry 3 also runs better on AMD higher cored CPU's.

As far as GPU's go' date=' I'd 100% recommend you chose an NVIDIA card instead. I personally prefer them as well, due to their better architecture and just in general, plus it's been known for some games, within the same price point and benchmarks, to run smoother on NVIDIA GPU's than AMD GPU's..[/quote'] Says who? If you look at the benchmarks Linus has done, NVidia looses each time. Far Cry 3 also runs better on AMD higher cored CPU's.
Well it's true that AMD offers better "Bang for buck" And me as a person I don't know "who" It's just a saying I've always generally said and recently been hearing a lot in the past couple months on several Tech Forums by Tech enthusiasts, but anyone with a general interest should know that NVIDIA GPU's are generally better than AMD's due to NVIDIA's architecture. You say that every benchmark Linus has done AMD GPU's have won, then I'm afraid that video was false because that is.. Well, simply just not true. You say that Far Cry 3 runs better on higher cored AMD CPU's, yet higher to what? Perhaps if you had a 7970 vs a 660 Ti, Then yeah ^.^, but every NVIDIA GPU in the same price point as AMD has always won.

anyone with a general interest should know that NVIDIA GPU's are generally better than AMD's due to NVIDIA's architecture. You say that every benchmark Linus has done AMD GPU's have won' date=' then I'm afraid that video was false because that is.. Well, simply just not true. [/quote']

So reliable information is given to you yet you choose to ignore it and discredit it due to your vision that NVidia is always superior to AMD.

As far as GPU's go' date=' I'd 100% recommend you chose an NVIDIA card instead. I personally prefer them as well, due to their better architecture and just in general, plus it's been known for some games, within the same price point and benchmarks, to run smoother on NVIDIA GPU's than AMD GPU's..[/quote']

Says who? If you look at the benchmarks Linus has done, NVidia looses each time. Far Cry 3 also runs better on AMD higher cored CPU's.

hahha ;)

I've seen that vid and thats why i was not going to change to nvidea :p

If they show that amd is better why the f*ck should i get nvidea :p

On the psu he might be right but... its a damn psu... if it dies it dies...

I don't know how to reply to a comment so, to OP. You say that Linus showed AMD is better than NVIDIA? He has said they are better "Bang for buck" which they certainly are, no disagreeing with that. Their benchmarks with their prices are better than anything NVIDIA has to offer. However, NVIDIA's GPU's are better as a whole due to their better architecture and is known for some games, *Not Far Cry 3* :P To run smoother on them. What I was saying was, in my opinion and from the experience I have you're better of buying a 650Ti than a 7770.

The reason why I don't go from 1 source is because many benchmark videos have different results, don't ask which exact videos because I'm not tracing through hundreds of videos from several Tech YouTuber's to find one video, i.e TimeToLiveCustoms etc. The purpose of what I said was just to try and help the OP. Sure I'd rather have a 7970 rather than something like a GTX 660, however for what he listed I recommended my recommendations, doesn't have to go with anything I say. After all, we're all here to help..

And as for the PSU, uh.. The PSU is something you don't want to skimp on, as it's what powers your entire system.. You could spend $50 on a crap PSU that will die on you in a couple months and you would have to buy a new one, take things apart, take them out, put new one in.. Or you could spend $125 on the PSU I recommended and not have to deal with all that crap.

Hope I've helped in some way..

Don't want to be accusatory, but TechNerd is teetering on fanboyism right now. I'm pretty sure it's a generally accepted fact that AMD has a better price:performance ratio in most price points at the given moment. Your sister isn't even playing PhysX games, so that's not a good argument to make for Nvidia, either.

I don't know how to reply to a comment so, to OP. You say that Linus showed AMD is better than NVIDIA? He has said they are better "Bang for buck" which they certainly are, no disagreeing with that. Their benchmarks with their prices are better than anything NVIDIA has to offer. However, NVIDIA's GPU's are better as a whole due to their better architecture and is known for some games, *Not Far Cry 3* :P To run smoother on them. What I was saying was, in my opinion and from the experience I have you're better of buying a 650Ti than a 7770.

The reason why I don't go from 1 source is because many benchmark videos have different results, don't ask which exact videos because I'm not tracing through hundreds of videos from several Tech YouTuber's to find one video, i.e TimeToLiveCustoms etc. The purpose of what I said was just to try and help the OP. Sure I'd rather have a 7970 rather than something like a GTX 660, however for what he listed I recommended my recommendations, doesn't have to go with anything I say. After all, we're all here to help..

And as for the PSU, uh.. The PSU is something you don't want to skimp on, as it's what powers your entire system.. You could spend $50 on a crap PSU that will die on you in a couple months and you would have to buy a new one, take things apart, take them out, put new one in.. Or you could spend $125 on the PSU I recommended and not have to deal with all that crap.

Actually, almost every benchmark I've seen has a 7970 beating a 670 at the very least. The vast majority have them competing with GTX680s. Not sure where you're getting your information. Hell, I'll even provide sources for you.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/618?vs=555

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/amd_radeon_hd_7970_vs_nvidia_geforce_gtx_680_take_two

As for a "general consensus": http://www.overclock.net/t/1369871/another-7970-vs-680

As for 650Ti>7770, that's true, but 650Ti's are at a $40 greater price point than 7770. So what you're saying is that OP should spend $75 more on a PSU and $40 more on a GPU. That's a ~15% budget increase.

As for the PSU, Corsair's CX line has Channel Well as an OEM. Channel Well is regarded as one of the most reliable manufacturers of Power supplies. Yes, a $125 PSU would most likely be better, but it's completely inappropriate for the build. Power supply efficiency is best from around 40-70% usage. Do you think a $125 PSU, with most likely 700-800W, will ever work at max efficiency?

Finally, you said: "Well it's true that AMD offers better "Bang for buck" And me as a person I don't know "who" It's just a saying I've always generally said and recently been hearing a lot in the past couple months on several Tech Forums by Tech enthusiasts, but anyone with a general interest should know that NVIDIA GPU's are generally better than AMD's due to NVIDIA's architecture. "

That's where you lose your argument. This is a bang for buck build, not a Titan machine. If AMD gives you a better price to performance (just as you said), then how is the architecture inferior? PhysX? Cuda? OP never mentioned video editing or games with PhysX. In fact, anyone with "general interest" should know that it's generally a sin to postulate that AMD is better or worse than Nvidia. It's about the needs, price range, and time frame of the build.

That's where I lose this argument? Well considering the OP didn't specify a budget.. You kind of lose this argument. Nobodies arguing though, but why do people always think I'm arguing >_>

To get to the bottom of things, everything I say is either my opinion or what I've gained from experience. Call me mad, but I'd rather spend a little more and have a good GPU but a rather crap PSU. Then again.. It is what powers you entire system. From the sounds of it, his sister is a gamer. And a Corsair Builder Series PSU won't be good for gaming, thus why I suggested a Corsair TX PSU, as that will be good for gaming. I do recommend Seasonic PSU's to people quite a lot, but in this case I thought a TX would be more ideal.

And I suggested he'd perhaps rather a 650 i instead of a 7770 because I find I get better performance and more FPS out of a 650Ti than most of the 7770 Benchmark videos on YouTube.

OP implies a tighter budget when he chooses a 7770, 8350, and outdated case in the first post. It really doesn't need to be said that he's trying to minimize costs.

His system won't even come close to maxing out a 500W power supply. It's plenty good enough for gaming, I promise you. 1 Graphics card and an 8350 isn't demanding enough. In the end of the day, power is power. All of those power supplies you mentioned are functional, and so is the CX. As important as it is to have a reliable power supply, the CX is enough for a budget build. The TX line is a mix of Seasonic/Channel Well, just like the CX series. Like I said, an upgraded PSU would be ideal, but in a budget build, you take the functional choices, and CX PSUs are more than functional. There is no such thing as a "gaming PSU," but there are reliable PSUs and unreliable PSUs. I promise you that CX power supplies are regarded as reliable and more appropriate for her system.

Of course a 650Ti beats out a 7770; it's priced the same as a 7850. Compare a 7850 and 650Ti and you'll see that the 7850 is better:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6359/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti-review/22

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/603/bench/BF3_02.png

General consensus: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/387889-33-7850

That being said, OP could possibly use a video card upgrade if he were willing to downgrade his motherboard. I already suggested that, and he kept to it, so I'm sure he's fine. If he were to upgrade, a 7850 would be the better choice over a 650Ti.

Well it all depends on how much she want's to spend. Firstly, ditch that case. I've never personally been much of a fan for Cooler Master, but either way a Corsair Carbide 200r case will be much much better, 100%. Good sized, being not too big but not too small, cutout panels for wiring, good built-in fans, and good clean airflow. And it's cheap as well at like $60-70. No to that PSU 100%. Corsair make a lot of great stuff, one of those being their PSU's. Depending on what her set-up will be, i.e how many monitors, resolution/game quality etc. I wouldn't recommend a CX(Builder Series) PSU. Although they're good, they're generally not good for gaming use. Corsair's TX(Enthusiast) range are great. Although she may not be an "Enthusiast" she'll be better of with one of those than a CX PSU. I'd recommend a TX650. Being maybe $100 it's pricey to say the least, but I think she'd rather have a little more than a little less, if you understand that. And the PSU is one thing you don't want to skimp on. Either that or a Corsair GS600W (2013 Edition) which is around $80.

You said you'd rather have an AMD CPU because AMD offer better bang for buck, which is true. So why have you chosen an FX 8350? I'm British so I'm just going of Google GBP>USD conversion, but you can pick up an Intel i5 3330(Quad Core) CPU for cheaper. Which will be better than a FX 8350. RAM, Corsair Vengeance's best quality RAM you can get for that price range. As far as HDD's go, I've always preferred Seagate. And you can pick up a Seagate 500GB HDD for.. $45-50? And a 1TB isn't much more either. I'd also highly recommend an SSD. They help in every way, faster boot-up times, faster application load times etc. And you can pick up an Intel 330 64GB SSD for.. Gosh, $50? Not much at all really.

As far as GPU's go, I'd 100% recommend you chose an NVIDIA card instead. I personally prefer them as well, due to their better architecture and just in general, plus it's been known for some games, within the same price point and benchmarks, to run smoother on NVIDIA GPU's than AMD GPU's. Where I'm from, you can't get 2GB 7770's, but I'm guessing a 1GB 7770 is what.. $150? For that price you could get a 1GB GTX 650Ti, but I wouldn't advise getting a 1GB card. I'd recommend you get an OC version 2GB GTX 650 instead, if she was willing to spend a little more a 2GB GTX 650Ti would be a lot better.

Whoa Whoa whoa, your saying that an i5 3330 beats a 8350??!?

Its been shown multiple times that the 8350 can compete with the i5 3570K which is far superior to a i5-3330, yet you think a i5-3330 is better than an 8350?

Also, saying that nvidia GPUs are better is quite ignorant, Linus has shown that for the different price brackets (low, mid, high) AMD wins almost every time. But, he still doesn't saying that AMD cards are superior, because one, they're not, the two companies are pretty equal on the field, and two, they both have their own uses.

You really need to look at your sources, you are sadly, quite misinformed.

Just so I don't look like an idiot, the i5-3330 vs 8350 sources http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-3330-vs-AMD-FX-8350

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Quite possibly yes, however a 650Ti was just my preference. I know her system wouldn't utilize all 500W, I've said nothing about getting a higher Wattage PSU. Although you obviously can't have a very low Wattage PSU but high quality, however it's as much about quality as anything else. I know CX PSU's are great, I recommend them to a lot of people. But in most benchmark videos I've watched, and every person I generally tend to come across wan't something better than a Builder Series PSU for gaming use. In a budget build, you prioritize which components you will be using more. For example, if you're a pure gamer you'd be better of with a low cored FX CPU or an i3 3220, 6/8GB's of RAM, reasonable storage, with a high GPU, whereas if you're a video editor/maker you tend to prioritize CPU and RAM.

Enough of this comparing whose right and whose not though.. Agreed?

A builder series PSU will be fine, I don't really see a problem with them, they have great warranties and good reviews.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

That's because there is no problem? :P

I know they have great reviews, I'm forever suggesting them to people, but if you read what has been said you'd know that I only suggested a TX PSU because the OP's sister is a gamer, and therefore a TX PSU would be better. However I don't want' to debate with another person about which PSU's would be better for this rig, so if you don't mind? ^.^

My sister wants a computer to play games such as: far cry3' date=' call of duty, sims3, ... I dont know anything on the amd side... I only know its cheaper... so ive chosen amd... :) Would this be good for her? Case: Cooler Master Elite 335U PSU: Cooler Master GX Lite 700W Mobo: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CPU: AMD Black Edition FX 8350 RAM: 8Gb Corsair Vengeance HDD: WD Caviar Green WD20EARX Gpu: Sapphite Radeon HD 7770 OC OS: windows 7 I hope you can help me out :)[/quote']

Looks a good spec, i have that very same motherboard and its awesome quality for the money.

for cases have you seen the Fractal design arc midi r2 ? or maybe the C70, the Z9 plus is also ok for cheaper, i have one, however there is a newer vesion now with a usb 3.0 i/o on the front panel.

for sure the m/board and a 6 or 8 core CPU will do the job.

does she have a fav colour???

got to love Asus components