Is my router trolling me?

Go to solution Solved by Sophrosyne,

Apparently the tests I ran to determine my external internet speed were at fault, not the internet connection provided by my ISP.

Thanks!

I have a D-LINK DIR-850L router. My connection is 100 mbit up/down and I use the wireless connection at the moment.

Whenever I test my internet speed I run at a steady 4 MB/s up- and download speed. However, when I transfer files to my backup drive (the model is a WD My Cloud), which is connected to the same router I upload and download at around 13 MB/s. Which is the internal network. The file is still transferred wirelessly.

The lan connection gives me a stable 11/12 MB/s up- and download rate.

So I know the router is capable of higher speeds than 4 MB/s. What is at fault here?

maybe the HDD

My Rigs

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Asus Z170-A 
                                                                                                        Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

GeForce GTX 1070 Video Card (purchasing soon might be getting G1 or gaming x)

NZXT S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

What band and frequency? Wireless will almost never give you what it's capable of.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Try using a wired connection and see if you still get the same results. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

In reality you're probably surrounded by signal generating devices, and other peoples wifi, all of which generate interference, and slow the throughput of your wifi connection. It's why a lot of gamers prefer a wired connection to their router. A wired connection while not immune to signal degradation is far less affected by external sources.

7 minutes ago, Lurick said:

What band and frequency? Wireless will almost never give you what it's capable of.

802.11n  and It's 5GHz.

7 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Try using a wired connection and see if you still get the same results. 

I am transferring the files wirelessly to my backup drive, which is connected to my router. I am getting 13 MB/s upload. However, when connecting to the external internet I am getting 4 MB/s. When I use the direct lan connection to the socket in the wall I get around 11 MB/s.

4 minutes ago, Sophrosyne said:

802.11n  and It's 5GHz.

I am transferring the files wirelessly to my backup drive, which is connected to my router. I am getting 13 MB/s upload. However, when connecting to the external internet I am getting 4 MB/s. When I use the direct lan connection to the socket in the wall I get around 11 MB/s.

Hmmm, the router is definitely capable of much more throughput than 32Mbps. 802.11n on the 5GHz band should give you at least 300Mbps+ depending on the conditions. Even connected directly into the router you should be seeing at least 9 to 10x what you're getting since it has gigabit ports.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Hmmm, the router is definitely capable of much more throughput than 32Mbps. 802.11n on the 5GHz band should give you at least 300Mbps+ depending on the conditions. Even connected directly into the router you should be seeing at least 9 to 10x what you're getting since it has gigabit ports.

If I connect directly to my router via LAN I can transfer at 80 MB/s internally and 11 MB/s externally (which is the equivalent of what my ISP has provided me with) - It is extremely confusing. The wireless signal in and of itself is not the issue, else why would I be able to transfer at 12-18 MB/s internally to my backup drive wirelessly? It is the wireless connection to the external internet...

2 minutes ago, Sophrosyne said:

If I connect directly to my router via LAN I can transfer at 80 MB/s internally and 11 MB/s externally (which is the equivalent of what my ISP has provided me with) - It is extremely confusing. The wireless signal in and of itself is not the issue, else why would I be able to transfer at 12-18 MB/s internally to my backup drive wirelessly? It is the wireless connection to the external internet...

Ah, alright, I was thinking it was internal and external that you were getting the 4MB speeds. At the time you do the speedtest, is there anything else on the network possibly doing data transfers?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

17 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Ah, alright, I was thinking it was internal and external that you were getting the 4MB speeds. At the time you do the speedtest, is there anything else on the network possibly doing data transfers?

Nope I have made sure of that :)

Apparently the tests I ran to determine my external internet speed were at fault, not the internet connection provided by my ISP.

Thanks!