I'm 18 and I'm so lost

hellyt6

So, I've had my life planned out since Freshman year in high school (this being my senior year currently), but now I'm questioning it.. I love everything to do with computers, and I can make a career of it easily, I've been told so by pretty much everyone I know.. But I'm starting to think it should just be a hobby. I don't really have the patience to work on computers for the rest of my life as a career, it would honestly take the fun out of it for me.. I prefer doing it in my spare time while smoking a cigarette and chatting on skype, without a real time frame of when it needs to be done.. But what else is there for a guy who doesn't know much else? I can't stand working on vehicles for the most part, and a desk job would bore me to tears. Retail isn't my thing either because the general populous annoys me to the point of pulling out my hair and I'm not steady enough for camera or editing work.. What does LTT think?

Current Build: Intel i5-3570k @3.8GHz; MSI-Z77-G41; 8GB Corsair Ballistix @1600MHz; EVGA SSC GTX 650TI 2GB; Adata SX900 128GB; Western Digital Green 1TB; Asus CD burner; Corsair HX750 750 Watt power supply; Cooler Master HAF-912.

So, I've had my life planned out since Freshman year in high school (this being my senior year currently), but now I'm questioning it.. I love everything to do with computers, and I can make a career of it easily, I've been told so by pretty much everyone I know.. But I'm starting to think it should just be a hobby. I don't really have the patience to work on computers for the rest of my life as a career, it would honestly take the fun out of it for me.. I prefer doing it in my spare time while smoking a cigarette and chatting on skype, without a real time frame of when it needs to be done.. But what else is there for a guy who doesn't know much else? I can't stand working on vehicles for the most part, and a desk job would bore me to tears. Retail isn't my thing either because the general populous annoys me to the point of pulling out my hair and I'm not steady enough for camera or editing work.. What does LTT think?

Just you wait!. im sure you will find the solution to all off life's problem the day after tomorrow. ( Just keep telling urself that ). and eventually you will find the solution! :)

Wow.......That was deep

Like Shaq in the baptismal pool, I know.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

I've considered it, the inner workings of motherboards, processors and graphics cards intrigue me to no end... But, again, it's one of those tedious things I'd rather take my time and have fun with.

Current Build: Intel i5-3570k @3.8GHz; MSI-Z77-G41; 8GB Corsair Ballistix @1600MHz; EVGA SSC GTX 650TI 2GB; Adata SX900 128GB; Western Digital Green 1TB; Asus CD burner; Corsair HX750 750 Watt power supply; Cooler Master HAF-912.

I plan to become a computer hardware engineer. But I totally agree with your stance, but we can't decide how you should live your life. We can only offer advice to the choices you plan to make.

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

well if you wanted to you could try computer engineering, but that will not be easy.

I've considered it, the inner workings of motherboards, processors and graphics cards intrigue me to no end... But, again, it's one of those tedious things I'd rather take my time and have fun with.

Whoops, forgot to quote.. There, I fixed it.

I plan to become a computer hardware engineer. But I totally agree with your stance, but we can't decide how you should live your life. We can only offer advice to the choices you plan to make.

Well, I've considered all parts of the computer world, the one that I'm most focused on is general hardware and software work, nearly got my A+ with very little study time and just a quick over view before the test... 660/700 on the 802 exam, blew the 801 away with a 750/700, so I know about most of the stuff I talk about and work with, but... It's a hobby. I don't want it to be a job.

Well, I've considered all parts of the computer world, the one that I'm most focused on is general hardware and software work, nearly got my A+ with very little study time and just a quick over view before the test... 660/700 on the 802 exam, blew the 801 away with a 750/700, so I know about most of the stuff I talk about and work with, but... It's a hobby. I don't want it to be a job.

So what do you want to do? That's what I'm trying to get at, we can help guide you when you have an idea :)

Like Sarcasm said with possibly the only good piece of advice I've seen, is that only you can make that choice. On the other side of the coin, have you considered being a video game tester or developer?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So what do you want to do? That's what I'm trying to get at, we can help guide you when you have an idea :)

That's a very good question.. I think I'd like to be a car salesman.. It's not a goal most people go for, and it's high risk, but I think I could make it work. After getting a lot and a building, I wouldn't have to contract anyone to set up my network or computers, and obtaining cars is an easy enough task, considering with how much mechanic work a friend of mine does anyways, we can pick up some junkers and start out with a decent amount of profit.

Like Sarcasm said with possibly the only good piece of advice I've seen, is that only you can make that choice. On the other side of the coin, have you considered being a video game tester or developer?

I have, I was going to try commentating and reviewing games once I get better internet so I can upload faster than 35Kbps

all i can recommend is that you just keep learning. Teach yourself any skill you can wrap your head around. Knowledge is power.

I will not encourage or discourage college. I personally believe it's a waste of money because the cost to borrow and the interest has increased 300% nominally over the last few decades with very little extra added value.

the way i see it:

Hobbies are fun, but not much money (unless you get lucky)

other paths make the $$$ (in the long run) but make you miserable

sorry to sound so pessimistic

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

That's a very good question.. I think I'd like to be a car salesman.. It's not a goal most people go for, and it's high risk, but I think I could make it work. After getting a lot and a building, I wouldn't have to contract anyone to set up my network or computers, and obtaining cars is an easy enough task, considering with how much mechanic work a friend of mine does anyways, we can pick up some junkers and start out with a decent amount of profit.

If you are convincing, and like the idea of selling expensive items to people, then sure! Work doing what you love, not for profit. I work a job when I'm out on summer vacation, I work as a plumber for the nice pay but for the entirety of the summer I am absolutely miserable. Just make sure you have a safety net set up if you are serious about doing this, you never want to be stuck without any rent money :)

all i can recommend is that you just keep learning. Teach yourself any skill you can wrap your head around. Knowledge is power.

I will not encourage or discourage college. I personally believe it's a waste of money because the cost to borrow and the interest has increased 300% nominally over the last few decades with very little extra added value.

the way i see it:

Hobbies are fun, but not much money (unless you get lucky)

other paths make the $$$ (in the long run) but make you miserable

sorry to sound so pessimistic

Not at all, infact I agree with you.. I was going to try to skip college anyway since I'll have my A+ and CCNA certifications by the end of my high school career, which, you can't get much better in a 2-year tech/community college anyways, which is all I'll be able to afford.

There's also the consideration that some people have had it embedded in their brains by that age that they NEED to go to a really good school and make X amount of money so you can do Y. But then there's people like me who CAN go to a good school and make X, but wouldn't really like to. I for one wouldn't mind living day to day possibly having to go through many jobs and career paths before finding something. It's all up to the individual, and I don't think that being a car salesman is a bad idea. If you want to do that, go for it!

System specs:  CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 705e unlocked to x4 overclocked to 2.8GHz   |   MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS   |   Cooler: Hyper 212+   |   GPU: MSI GTX 560ti OC to 910Mhz   |   RAM: 8GB PNY DDR3 1333   |   HDDS: WD Caviar Blue 320GB, Hitachi 500GB HDD   |   PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W   |   Peripherals: Microsoft wireless mouse, old mac keyboard, ASUS VS238H, Gateway FPD2275W, some speakers, Logitech Driving Force Pro

I think you should just deal with it. No jokes. Tough love here. Take a year off and get a job that requires only a high school diploma.You can at least save up for university tuition so you don't have a HUGE student debt to pay off after. During that one year, think about what you really wanna do. Give yourself sometime to breathe, outside of school work. That's what I'm currently doing too. I'm torn between computer science and aerospace engineering. Instead of wasting money in experimenting in university, I can work and save up, and on weekends, look/learn what comp sci/aerospace students do.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I have, I was going to try commentating and reviewing games once I get better internet so I can upload faster than 35Kbps

If you are planning on trying to be youtube famous, then don't you will get nowhere fast I guarantee it

If you are convincing, and like the idea of selling expensive items to people, then sure! Work doing what you love, not for profit. I work a job when I'm out on summer vacation, I work as a plumber for the nice pay but for the entirety of the summer I am absolutely miserable. Just make sure you have a safety net set up if you are serious about doing this, you never want to be stuck without any rent money :)

I live in rural Kentucky, cars are cheap, but no one around here has any money anyways. I think what I'm going to do is go ahead with my Cisco Education, make it big as a network admin somewhere, working on pcs on the side with my own little side-shop in some bigger city, and once I have a nice base.. Invest in a couple of the junker cars around here, a tractor trailor and a hauler, and a small lot somewhere south of Cincinnati and just have at it. What do you think?

I think you should just deal with it. No jokes. Tough love here. Take a year off and get a job that requires only a high school diploma.You can at least save up for university tuition so you don't have a HUGE student debt to pay off after. During that one year, think about what you really wanna do. Give yourself sometime to breathe, outside of school work. That's what I'm currently doing too. I'm torn between computer science and aerospace engineering. Instead of wasting money in experimenting in university, I can work and save up, and on weekends, look/learn what comp sci/aerospace students do.

I like you.

Go try 1 year of computer science / computer fields in university. You are still young , burning 1 year of tuition may seems like a lot for something you may not decide to go with as a career , but you will find out if this is what you really want to live with.  IMO, burning 1 year of tuition to find out the answer to whether you love it or not is worth the money. If you don't want to do as a career? Just keep it as a hobby as you said :)