Version of Linux for Pentium III?

I got a Pentium III machine that I want to install a temporary version of Linux on. I later plan to install Windows 2000 on it, but until I get a copy (And no, don't send me ISOs or keys). Any good version of Linux I can download and install as a temporary OS?

Anything light weight.  DSL perhaps... should run on anything :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

It really depends on a few things: how experienced you are within a Linux environment, the other type of hardware you have(Video card, memory, hard drive capacity, etc.), and what you plan on using it for.

I would recommend installing Ubuntu 14.04; anything short of a toaster would be able to run it, but make sure to double check the minimum requirements (taken from here):

• 700 MHz processor (about Intel Celeron or better)
  • 512 MiB RAM (system memory)
  • 5 GB of hard-drive space (or USB stick, memory card or external drive but see LiveCD for an alternative approach)
  • VGA capable of 1024x768 screen resolution
  • Either a CD/DVD drive or a USB port for the installer media

Take note that this is an older version of ubuntu, so you may be forced to use outdated or obsolete software, and things may not work properly if you're intending to use this for strenuous periods of time.

However, If you plan on just using a desktop to just prepare a windows installation, I would recommend booting live rather than installing a completely new operating system.

i want to know if it has a passive heatsink like the P2?

you want to try puppy linux and its variants. I was going to recommend arch but you want a temp OS so a puppy live cd will do it. theres also a project called tiny core linux

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, Mooshe said:

It really depends on a few things: how experienced you are within a Linux environment, the other type of hardware you have(Video card, memory, hard drive capacity, etc.), and what you plan on using it for.

I would recommend installing Ubuntu 14.04; anything short of a toaster would be able to run it, but make sure to double check the minimum requirements (taken from here):

• 5 GB of hard-drive space (or USB stick, memory card or external drive but see LiveCD for an alternative approach)

Take note that this is an older version of ubuntu, so you may be forced to use outdated or obsolete software, and things may not work properly if you're intending to use this for strenuous periods of time.

However, If you plan on just using a desktop to just prepare a windows installation, I would recommend booting live rather than installing a completely new operating system.

Well, I'll need a RAM upgrade to do that. My Dell OptiPlex GX150 only has 256MBs right now (Interestingly, according to the service tag, the computer would have came with 512MBs, but now it has been downgraded, and it's not speed upgrade either since it can only take 133MHz SDRAM). I would install Windows XP temporarily, but I'm not sure how long it will take to get a copy of Windows 2000 and I don't got a deactivated product key (And again, I don't want them).

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i want to know if it has a passive heatsink like the P2?

you want to try puppy linux and its variants. I was going to recommend arch but you want a temp OS so a puppy live cd will do it. theres also a project called tiny core linux

Assuming I know what that is, the Dell OptiPlex GX150 is a mini tower form factor and is cooled by a fan. I'm not sure if it draws air in or out of the case as the fan is in the middle of the computer. Not sure why they designed it that way, but being a Pentium III, I think it will be just fine. I will try Puppy Linux again, but I had problems booting. But I will try again.

Run an older version of Lubuntu, like 12.04. Recent enough. You'll need to have a graphics card though, don't even try with onboard solutions of this vintage.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

On 12/01/2017 at 0:59 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Anything light weight.  DSL perhaps... should run on anything :P 

Pretty sure DSL died a year or two ago :( Used to love it

Personally Id try xbuntu or another *buntu light weight clone, check distrowatch

4 hours ago, RemixTime said:

Pretty sure DSL died a year or two ago :( Used to love it

Oh, did it?  Well even if that's true, that means it's still more up to date than Windows 7 which people seem to refuse to give up xD  Seriously... exactly 2 years ago today mainstream support for Win 7 ended...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 12.01.2017 at 4:02 AM, Mooshe said:

Unmodified Ubuntu on such a computer ?! Please don't joke...the newer Ubuntus are so heavy, that they have problems even on semi-modern hardware.

Lubuntu, Xubuntu should work nicely. Though I would recommend more popular, and imo more stable Mint - Mint XFCE should work quite well on this PC.

7 hours ago, Arkzyw said:

Unmodified Ubuntu on such a computer ?! Please don't joke...the newer Ubuntus are so heavy, that they have problems even on semi-modern hardware.

Lubuntu, Xubuntu should work nicely. Though I would recommend more popular, and imo more stable Mint - Mint XFCE should work quite well on this PC.

It's not that heavy when compared to windows, and if you choose not to download 3rd party software on initial installation, it's actually quite lightweight.

That's why I recommended 14.04, but even if that doesn't work, you could go even farther back to 12.04.

I'm personally a bigger fan of LXDE over XFCE.  I ran Lubuntu on my old P4 (T43) laptop for years until I replaced it about a year ago.

On 1/14/2017 at 9:47 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh, did it?  Well even if that's true, that means it's still more up to date than Windows 7 which people seem to refuse to give up xD  Seriously... exactly 2 years ago today mainstream support for Win 7 ended...

DSL was abandoned around 2008 and there was an attempt to revive it in 2012; then there was some dramas. One of the contributors shifted their efforts to tiny core linux. give it a try http://tinycorelinux.net its only 16mb

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 2017-01-12 at 11:27 AM, Appleboy45 said:

I got a Pentium III machine that I want to install a temporary version of Linux on. I later plan to install Windows 2000 on it, but until I get a copy (And no, don't send me ISOs or keys). Any good version of Linux I can download and install as a temporary OS?

Try AntiX

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

I know this is an old post now, but try Legacy OS. It works really well on my Pentium II 400MHz. The OS even had built in support for the surround audio on the motherboard (it's a weird board). Here's a link: HERE This will lead to DistroWatch.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

• 1 year later...

If you are still looking for any OS (Windows-based, like 2000) I would recommend WinWorldPC as they have plenty of OS's archived, and because they are abandonware, you can legally download them for free. WinWorldPC Library

If you think that patience is a virtue, than try streaming on dialup.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Check out my new PC build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3v3xvV

On 1/12/2017 at 7:07 AM, Appleboy45 said:

Well, I'll need a RAM upgrade to do that. My Dell OptiPlex GX150 only has 256MBs right now (Interestingly, according to the service tag, the computer would have came with 512MBs, but now it has been downgraded, and it's not speed upgrade either since it can only take 133MHz SDRAM). I would install Windows XP temporarily, but I'm not sure how long it will take to get a copy of Windows 2000 and I don't got a deactivated product key (And again, I don't want them).

I know that this is an old thread but i must answer. Because i have old laptop with exactly same spec. It's Dell C600 from 2001. It has 1 GHZ Pentium III + 256 MB RAM (SDRAM 133MHZ) + 8 MB ATI GPU.

Currently i run on it tinyXP which is a windows XPs modified version. At startup it consumes 70-80 MB of ram. RAM is  enough for PowerAMP (music player) + Older version of firefox with only one tab. Or Just firefox with only 2 tabs.

I have tried puppy linux on it and it actually ran better then XP. It was faster, much newer, much more secure and consumed less RAM. Now i have lost CD ROM and i am stuck with this OS. Hinges are broken and battery died. I like old stuff and i want to renew it and somehow install linux on it.

I myself want arch. Arch + i3-gaps my favorite light linux setup. I have it on my modern laptop and at my work on laptop too. It's superfast and consumes ~120 MB RAM. If PC had 256 MB it would consume much less then. Also i would do things to optimize ram usage. I think arch linux is the best choice with any hardware. Of cource hardware must be faster then potatoe to run arch :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.