How much of a difference between these 2 monitor's?

rasesh

Hey guys I plan on buying one of these 2 IPS monitor's.

I plan on using this monitor for:

1) Working on multiple word documents/files .. reading/writing basically

2) Watching movies/shows/video's

A) 34" IPS 2560x1080    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX61637

B) 34" IPS 3440x1440    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX63051

The 2 reasons I am buying the monitor for .... will I see a noticeable difference between the 2? If so, is the price difference ($280) justifiable for my 2 needs?

Thanks guys!

If you're just gaming, the difference is smaller but for everything else, the lack of pixel density and less vertical height of the 1080p ultrawide would be much worse.

The price difference doesn't seem that much for the upgrade in resolution.

Moved to Displays--please post in the correct subforum in the future. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

do not get the 1080, at that size you will see pixels all the time. 

I have the 1440 one and it is glorious

4 minutes ago, rasesh said:

Hey guys I plan on buying one of these 2 IPS monitor's.

I plan on using this monitor for:

1) Working on multiple word documents/files .. reading/writing basically

2) Watching movies/shows/video's

A) 34" IPS 2560x1080    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX61637

B) 34" IPS 3440x1440    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX63051

The 2 reasons I am buying the monitor for .... will I see a noticeable difference between the 2? If so, is the price difference justifiable for my 2 needs?

Thanks guys!

Looks like there's a couple hundred dollars in price difference, as well as a 'few' pixels.

Go for the 1440p.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Be aware that a lot of video media are not made for ultrawide resolutions, so you'll deal with black bars. 

option A is lower res than Option B, so the latter option is much more dense to fit more content on the screen. and you'll notice the pixels more on the former option. 

1 minute ago, Deep Fried Mars Bar said:

I've had a older model of these monitor's before.

The 1920x1080 34" & to be honest I personally never felt like it looked bad.

Now i personally have never been up close to a 1440p monitor on a 34" so I personally don't know the difference.

5 minutes ago, Deep Fried Mars Bar said:

6 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you're just gaming, the difference is smaller but for everything else, the lack of pixel density and less vertical height of the 1080p ultrawide would be much worse.

The price difference doesn't seem that much for the upgrade in resolution.

Moved to Displays--please post in the correct subforum in the future. 

5 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Looks like there's a couple hundred dollars in price difference, as well as a 'few' pixels.

Go for the 1440p.

4 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

Be aware that a lot of video media are not made for ultrawide resolutions, so you'll deal with black bars. 

option A is lower res than Option B, so the latter option is much more dense to fit more content on the screen. and you'll notice the pixels more on the former option. 

Just wondering .... can't I just get a equal resolution TV instead of a monitor?

They are cheaper & well larger ...

Like i said i don't intend to play games on it, just reading and typing on microsoft word & watching movies/shows/video's....

1 minute ago, rasesh said:

Just wondering .... can't I just get a equal resolution TV instead of a monitor?

Like i said i don't intend to play games on it, just reading and typing on microsoft word & watching movies/shows/video's....

You could, but TVs are typically not quite as accurate with color, and not intended for up close viewing.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

2 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

You could, but TVs are typically not quite as accurate with color, and not intended for up close viewing.

Are there some TV's that are made or are supported as a monitor specifically?

One thing to note. if your pc is in your bedroom the screen has a annoying flashing standby light. I assume the 1080 is the same.  

You will also need a 4 ft desk desk to fit a pair of speakers and thats just normal ones.

3 minutes ago, rasesh said:

using a TV as a monitor is possible, but it has to meet 4:4:4 chroma so the text doesn't look blurry. also need low latency. 

Just now, rasesh said:

None that come to mind.

I'd just look around for one with accurate color, and a pixel density close to or the same as the monitors you're looking at.

3 minutes ago, rasesh said:

you can check this website http://www.rtings.com/tv

they have a section to test if the TV can perform well as a monitor. 

13 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

you can check this website http://www.rtings.com/tv

they have a section to test if the TV can perform well as a monitor. 

16 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

None that come to mind.

I'd just look around for one with accurate color, and a pixel density close to or the same as the monitors you're looking at.

16 minutes ago, Deep Fried Mars Bar said:

One thing to note. if your pc is in your bedroom the screen has a annoying flashing standby light. I assume the 1080 is the same.  

You will also need a 4 ft desk desk to fit a pair of speakers and thats just normal ones.

So no matter what TV I get my text on microsoft word and on web browsing won't look as crisp as a computer monitor?

a tv will be fine, it would take quite a bit of adjusting as the color would be way too vibrant to begin with (bright blue fb banner etc) but if you are willing to spent the extra time recalibrating the tv. plus fitting a proper stand as the default one will wobble horribly when typing. 

The picture itself will be fine as it is digital, so it wont be blurry, fuzzy or anything like that 

unlike monitors and their 5ms (millisecond) max input lag, tvs can have a really noticeable 60ms+ delay. 

5 minutes ago, Deep Fried Mars Bar said:

a tv will be fine, it would take quite a bit of adjusting as the color would be way too vibrant to begin with (bright blue fb banner etc) but if you are willing to spent the extra time recalibrating the tv. plus fitting a proper stand as the default one will wobble horribly when typing. 

The picture itself will be fine as it is digital, so it wont be blurry, fuzzy or anything like that 

unlike monitors and their 5ms (millisecond) max input lag, tvs can have a really noticeable 60ms+ delay. 

I'm just worried about the text on the TV not being as crisp as a normal monitor's text would be.

its a digital signal it will reproduce the exact same image (the text will be the same) (with some color difference) as long as you buy a reasonable tv you should be able to correct most of the color except possibly white balance some modern top of line A+++ energy efficiency rated tvs don't have the wattage (70+inch model) to full white. 

Plug your pc into your current tv to see how it would look as a screen, thats about the best advice i can give you

28 minutes ago, Deep Fried Mars Bar said:

its a digital signal it will reproduce the exact same image (the text will be the same) (with some color difference) as long as you buy a reasonable tv you should be able to correct most of the color except possibly white balance some modern top of line A+++ energy efficiency rated tvs don't have the wattage (70+inch model) to full white. 

Plug your pc into your current tv to see how it would look as a screen, thats about the best advice i can give you

Thanks!