Recommend me an air cooler!

17 minutes ago, Liquid0cel0t said:

What are the pro's and cons to water obviously you are not limited by your temperature in terms of overclocking as much as you are on air just really your voltage threshold but I have heard some horror stories about leaking etc 

Pros include better cooling and possibly lower noise at load.

Cons include higher cost, more points of failure/complication, and possibly more noise compared to the quietest of air coolers.

Unless you're pushing for a higher oc or want lower noise, getting a new cooler will make no practical difference in your case. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

as long as you check RAM clearance anything should go in there, seems like its a case about as thick as mine. i have a NH-D14 but i also dont have a side panel on. i would look up your case specs for cooler max height first if you, like most normal people, have a sidepanel. RAM seems like its not super tall, about the same as i have but i make not promises about that part, so check RAM height and check what the max is for whatever cooler you decide to get. if you get an AIO the max size you can get in there would be 1x140mm im pretty sure

Awesome I will look into that whether im going to get massive gains from spending around the same amount of money on something like a cryorig h5 or one of these https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/FANCLM2224/Cooler-Master-Seidon-240P-Watercooling-kit-Perform

This is my case btw http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/case-series/haf-922.html

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Pros include better cooling and possibly lower noise at load.

Cons include higher cost, more points of failure/complication, and possibly more noise compared to the quietest of air coolers.

So if im not going to hit say anything more than 4.5ghz (haven't even begun to try that on my chip as the jump from 4.2-4.5 seems small on paper but in terms of voltages is huge) then it might just be better to stay with air until i can upgrade my mobo and cpu?

2 minutes ago, Liquid0cel0t said:

Awesome I will look into that whether im going to get massive gains from spending around the same amount of money on something like a cryorig h5 or one of these https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/FANCLM2224/Cooler-Master-Seidon-240P-Watercooling-kit-Perform

This is my case btw http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/case-series/haf-922.html

not going to fit, the case could take a 200mm radiator but thats a 2x 140, when the case only has one 140mm slot :) 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, G27Racer_188 said:

I'd say get Scythe FUMA. I have that cooler and it cools reasonably well.

One thing in favor of fuma is that its only 150mm tall, so should fit in, thou the thing to watch out for is that you need low profile (standard height) RAM (and by the looks you have those). I have fans fixed at 50% so its silent, at 100% they are audible, but it is not bad and I have my system open air. Since you have a case you could run fans faster and remain quiet.

lol aslong as no one is hitting this level of noise

i think we all should be fine haha I will check that cooler out and add it to the comparison lists 

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

not going to fit, the case could take a 200mm radiator but thats a 2x 140, when the case only has one 140mm slot :) 

I really need to learn to read :D 

1 minute ago, Liquid0cel0t said:

So if im not going to hit say anything more than 4.5ghz (haven't even begun to try that on my chip as the jump from 4.2-4.5 seems small on paper but in terms of voltages is huge) then it might just be better to stay with air until i can upgrade my mobo and cpu?

This isn't a matter of air vs. water but instead whether or not to buy a new cooler. 

There are several reasons to buy a new cooler including aesthetics, noise, or performance.

If you're fine with your current cooler's aesthetic and noise level, the only purpose behind getting a new cooler would be to reach higher clocks.

If you're fine with throwing money for the chance to go from 4.2 to 4.5ghz, then go ahead. 

It's a small performance increase and a platform upgrade would make a much bigger difference.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

This isn't a matter of air vs. water but instead whether or not to buy a new cooler. 

There are several reasons to buy a new cooler including aesthetics, noise, or performance.

If you're fine with your current cooler's aesthetic and noise level, the only purpose behind getting a new cooler would be to reach higher clocks.

If you're fine with throwing money for the chance to go from 4.2 to 4.5ghz, then go ahead. 

It's a small performance increase and a platform upgrade would make a much bigger difference.

Im looking at getting a Xeon 5650 or something similar and overclocking that so that is why I want to know my cooler will handle what I currently have plus lower temps is always a good thing. I spent ages with the trial and error of even getting it stable and I still don't know everything about overclocking. Just the basic's really but yeah I get what your saying, Thanks :) 

3 minutes ago, Liquid0cel0t said:

lol aslong as no one is hitting this level of noise

i think we all should be fine haha I will check that cooler out and add it to the comparison lists 

No it isn't a turbine. The full speed noise is relatively low pitch so it isn't annoying.

Although I agree with @WoodenMarker 's statement.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB