Recommend me an air cooler!

Hey guys so I just want to see what the best bang for buck cpu cooler would be right now or would I be better off spending the same amount of money on a water cooling system and if so, What one :)

I currently have a i7-930 running at 1.28vcore at a very stable 4.2ghz and I get around 40c idle temps and 80-85c on a max load. My current cpu cooler is one of these cheapie jobs http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835856006 but It has done well for around a year and was far better than the crappy intel stock cooler so I am looking to upgrade it until I can afford to get a new Xeon X5650 just to get temps down a little further:D 

Cheers! 

Your temps are fine. I'd suggest saving up for a platform upgrade before replacing the cooler.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

How much can you spend? Look into Dark Rock Pro 3, Noctua NH D15 and Cryorig R1 Ultimate/Universal

3 minutes ago, Liquid0cel0t said:

Hey guys so I just want to see what the best bang for buck cpu cooler would be right now or would I be better off spending the same amount of money on a water cooling system and if so, What one :)

I currently have a i7-930 running at 1.28vcore at a very stable 4.2ghz and I get around 40c idle temps and 80-85c on a max load. My current cpu cooler is one of these cheapie jobs http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835856006 but It has done well for around a year and was far better than the crappy intel stock cooler so I am looking to upgrade it until I can afford to get a new Xeon X5650 just to get temps down a little further:D 

Cheers! 

Hyper 212 evo or Cryorig h7

depending on whats around on your local used market you could get NH-D14s for as low as $25 used, coolers dont really deteriorate in preformance so if thet arent damaged used is usiually fine. if you want a new cooler then the Hyper 212 evo might be a minor upgrade, a DarkRock 3 will be a really good choice too or almost anything on the larger side from Noctua.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

How much can you spend? Look into Dark Rock Pro 3, Noctua NH D15 and Cryorig R1 Ultimate/Universal

around $100 NZD so around $70 USD

1 minute ago, InsertName said:

Hyper 212 evo or Cryorig h7

Coolers.PNG

From https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/A40_Ultimate/6.html

7 minutes ago, Liquid0cel0t said:

Cheers! 

Get this, might as well go all the way

http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/product/vCL7YJ/deepcool-cpu-cooler-assassinii

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Liquid0cel0t said:

NH-D15 or a DarkRock 3. just make sure they can fit your case

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

depending on whats around on your local used market you could get NH-D14s for as low as $25 used, coolers dont really deteriorate in preformance so if thet arent damaged used is usiually fine. if you want a new cooler then the Hyper 212 evo might be a minor upgrade, a DarkRock 3 will be a really good choice too or almost anything on the larger side from Noctua.

https://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Dark-Rock-Cooler-LGA775/dp/B00HPX7IKU They look sexy asf in black btw lol. and some arctic silver 5 would be a good thermal paste to use or just stick with the factory applied stuff on these?

2 minutes ago, Liquid0cel0t said:

Can you buy from amazon.com?

You should get this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019CRDELS/

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

stick with the factory applied stuff on these

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

What are the pro's and cons to water obviously you are not limited by your temperature in terms of overclocking as much as you are on air just really your voltage threshold but I have heard some horror stories about leaking etc 

https://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Dark-Rock-Cooler-LGA775/dp/B00HPX7IKU They look sexy asf in black btw lol. and some arctic silver 5 would be a good thermal paste to use or just stick with the factory applied stuff on these?

i have always used just what comes with my coolers or what i have laying around, that is currently whatever Noctua sends with there coolers and before that some super cheap stuff. Arctic silver might help you a few C but i dont think its worth the extra money, if its like $5 or something for a tube then sure if you dont mind spending a little extra for a coupple less C on your CPU

Builds:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Can you buy from amazon.com?

You should get this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019CRDELS/

It looks like I'd find it in an old HP PC

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Ahh PB my favourite shop lol Would that be compatible with a LGA 1366 socket?

Yes it will be

http://www.cryorig.com/h5-ultimate_us.php

Scroll down a bit and you should see the cricle with LGA 1366 there

3 minutes ago, Liquid0cel0t said:

Yeah I can just have to covert it to my currency. That is cheap as

Yeah that's what I would get

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

It looks like I'd find it in an old HP PC

It's a massive 140mm fan though, for scale

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Liquid0cel0t said:

What are the pro's and cons to water obviously you are not limited by your temperature in terms of overclocking as much as you are on air just really your voltage threshold but I have heard some horror stories about leaking etc 

depends on if its an AIO setup or a custom loop. full custom loops can be verry quiet because you pick the fans, the rads ect... and if you have enough radiatior space then you can get away with verry low fan rpm and AIOs are usiaully not too bad but some are pretty loud and dont offer much in cooling preformance over something like a NH-D15

Builds:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

depends on if its an AIO setup or a custom loop. full custom loops can be verry quiet because you pick the fans, the rads ect... and if you have enough radiatior space then you can get away with verry low fan rpm and AIOs are usiaully not too bad but some are pretty loud and dont offer much in cooling preformance over something like a NH-D15

This is the clearance ive got to work with at the moment (yeah i know its a bit mom's spaghetti with the cable management lol)15940853_10154590482189760_1594459483442370587_n.jpg

This is the clearance ive got to work with at the moment (yeah i know its a bit mom's spaghetti with the cable management lol)15940853_10154590482189760_1594459483442370587_n.jpg

as long as you check RAM clearance anything should go in there, seems like its a case about as thick as mine. i have a NH-D14 but i also dont have a side panel on. i would look up your case specs for cooler max height first if you, like most normal people, have a sidepanel. RAM seems like its not super tall, about the same as i have but i make not promises about that part, so check RAM height and check what the max is for whatever cooler you decide to get. if you get an AIO the max size you can get in there would be 1x140mm im pretty sure

Builds:

Spoiler

I'd say get Scythe FUMA. I have that cooler and it cools reasonably well.

One thing in favor of fuma is that its only 150mm tall, so should fit in, thou the thing to watch out for is that you need low profile (standard height) RAM (and by the looks you have those). I have fans fixed at 50% so its silent, at 100% they are audible, but it is not bad and I have my system open air. Since you have a case you could run fans faster and remain quiet.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB