Is Udemy a good site?

jasonwj322a

They are currently having many classes for sale. I've always been interested in programming and I'm just thinking that this might be a good chance. They have a Python tutorial right now on sale at $10. Should I make the jump? Might get the Java too. What do you guys think? 

Just find tutorials, text books for free. Why pay? You can learn most of the stuff by yourself

Yes I got a C++ course on game development for £15 and it's some of the best money I've ever spent the course I'm on is really engaging and fun so try it and see if you discover a new passion. 

Red Fury: Cpu intel i5 4960k GPU 1060 6gb, Cooling  noctua dh15 storage 1tb sshd 250gb ssd mobo gigabyte z97p-3 case fractal r4 ram hyper x fury red 8 gb psu 550w xfx ts os win 10 monitor lg 25um56 

9 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Just find tutorials, text books for free. Why pay? You can learn most of the stuff by yourself

9 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

go to code academy 

5 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

Well, they have 30 day money back guarantee policy if you are unsatisfied with the course, and it's only 10$, so just try it. It has a good amount of positive reviews.

I know there are good options out there but people said paid versions are usually better. For example people said code Academy is bad for real world usage.

If you don't know much yet, you can get started with Codecademy

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, jasonwj322a said:

I know there are good options out there but people said paid versions are usually better. For example people said code Academy is bad for real world usage.

what would you consider "real world usage" you are trying to learn the basic ad building on it, coding is not learned in a day it takes a lot of practice.  i would start with code academy to know if you like coding, if you enjoy it. 

3 minutes ago, jasonwj322a said:

That depends on what you consider to be "real world usage". You don't just learn programming and then Ta-Da I'm a pro. Codecademy is good because it can give you a good base to build upon by yourself. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

what would you consider "real world usage" you are trying to learn the basic ad building on it, coding is not learned in a day it takes a lot of practice.  i would start with code academy to know if you like coding, if you enjoy it. 

I have no idea. Just saw people saying that.

I have no idea. Just saw people saying that.

everyone learns differently use free programs before jumping into a paid one.  

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

everyone learns differently use free programs before jumping into a paid one.  

Should I buy the course now? It gives me lifetime acess.

Whats the difference? 

1 minute ago, Lacrimas said:

Just a small note, codecademy is still using python 2 I believe, they were supposed to update the python course to python 3 at the end of 2016 but according to their blog it got delayed.

Should I buy the course now? It gives me lifetime acess.

up to you if its a career learn before you go into a coding career. 

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

up to you if its a career learn before you go into a coding career. 

Its tough. Would you if you were me? 

Its tough. Would you if you were me? 

go for the free choice if you like it go all in if you don't waste your time.  

6 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

I wouldn't say it's a whole different language, but there are some rather important differences.

Have you considered Udacity?

go for the free choice if you like it go all in if you don't waste your time.  

Yeah I have considered that. I think i won't be going to buy it then. What advices do you guys have? I've been told by someone who is really good at programming that I shouldn't be "learning" how to code. Instead just learn enough to do things like building a site or a game. What do you guys think? 

3 minutes ago, jasonwj322a said:

Yeah I have considered that. I think i won't be going to buy it then. What advices do you guys have? I've been told by someone who is really good at programming that I shouldn't be "learning" how to code. Instead just learn enough to do things like building a site or a game. What do you guys think? 

yup experience is key in coding. 

yup experience is key in coding. 

How exactly should I tackle that? I have pretty much no idea of what language I want to focus because all seem to be great and important.

14 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

Well, you should try to have some kind of a goal in your mind, what you are trying to make. Cuz, for me, that's what coding is all about, building cool shit. You should also try to focus on concepts in coding, because they usually carry over throughout other languages.

Also, this Udacity course is free and part of the full stack nano degree program developed by Google, GitHub, AT&T and Amazon Web Services. Instructor is also really good based on my experience with their Android development course.

Whats the difference between lessons on Udacity and free sites like Code academy? One of the course (Android Basics) is $99 a month. 

If you see a beginner course that's cheap (10 USD~ and you're curious I don't see the harm in buying the ONE) it may be fun. But if you're not sure, then codecademy is where I would say to start.
I never took a Udemy class so I cannot say anything.

MIT (Massachusetts institute of technology) puts up lectures for free public viewing on their website.

EDIT:
Difference is... codecademy is free and guaranteed interactive. Udemy may just be a "Premium" youtuber series. IE they talk in a lecture style and just program and tell you what they're doing.

All these lessons HELP, but until you practice it, you don't fully understand how to use it; IMO.

Udemy, like any marketplace, is a mixed bag. You're going to find courses that are bad and those that are good, so some due diligence is good. Look at reviews/comments, and you can usually watch a few videos for free before deciding to go into the deep end with it. Having a few Udemy courses myself, this is very much the case. Thankfully I tend to get them when they're on sale.

That said, I can't help but agree with the sentiment of most posters here. If you're looking to give something you have never done a shot and it has a free option, why pay? Codeacademy is a good place for getting your feet wet. I wouldn't even worry about sticking to a specific language right now, get as broad of a basic experience as you can.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

13 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

go to code academy 

Why is it so difficult for people to actually spell the site properly? It is codecademy not code academy... Read the the title of the site before making incorrect posts.

12 hours ago, jasonwj322a said:

I know there are good options out there but people said paid versions are usually better.

Paid services are not synonymous with quality.

12 hours ago, jasonwj322a said:

For example people said code Academy is bad for real world usage.

Any site that places sole emphasis on learning only syntax is bad for 'real world usage'.

12 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

coding

I really really hate that term -_-

12 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

No... Just don't.

17 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

I would recommend that you take a step back from being so concerned over the specifics for now and instead try to find out what it is exactly that you want to do; What interests you specifically, what do you think that you will enjoy doing the most. You should answer those fundamental questions first and foremost before you try to add the complexity and convolution of trying to learn some arbitrary linguistic syntax on top.

After you have done that then you should concentrate on learning Software Engineering/Development/Science theory as the first stage or at least begin studding it as early as possible, ideally in parallel with some language. It is the theory and having a good comprehension and ability to put it into practice that is by far more valuable than any given language.

You can of course ignore that advice and plough yourself straight in. Be mindful that if you do so then you'll likely pick up a great deal of bad practices and anti-patterns along the way and at the very worst case you'll select a language not suited towards your particular interests which will give you a bad impression of what to expect and ultimately crush your motivation.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

On 1/9/2017 at 10:17 PM, jasonwj322a said:

They are currently having many classes for sale. I've always been interested in programming and I'm just thinking that this might be a good chance. They have a Python tutorial right now on sale at $10. Should I make the jump? Might get the Java too. What do you guys think? 

Even if it turns out to be worthless, 10$ is less than price of a book on same subject and not a ton of money after all