Is Intel Pentium Skylake Worth It?

Hey, I just want to know is an Intel Pentium Skylake (6th gen) a good alternative to the i5/i3 (6th gen)?

Not for an i5. the i5 has almost double the performance, but for an i3 it is, in some situations, a decent alternative. however, I would highly recommend the i3 over a Pentium because with low core counts, hyper threading really helps in day to day usage.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

14 minutes ago, EurypteridX said:

Hey, I just want to know is an Intel Pentium Skylake (6th gen) a good alternative to the i5/i3 (6th gen)?

I wouldn't get a pentium for almost anything that isn't just emulation or just browsing the internet. For cheap, a used quad core from a couple gens back my be a better alternative. Hell I would give people who want to game an Athlon X4 over a Pentium.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

No, the best and only pentium I would by is the Pentium G3258.

It is an overclockable Pentium up to 5 ghz in some cases, it's insane, and it's only 66$ where I am (retail price).

You can buy them used for around 30$. Just be sure to find a good one that isn't too used.

As for single core performance, they can beat any i5, or most i7's except for the flagship overclockable variants, the i7-6700K, and i7-4790k.

As for gaming, it will be slower than an i5-4590 in terms of cores. You will want at least 4 cores for gaming, and preferably 8 threads for high end gaming.

The Pentium G3258 overclocked to 4.6 ghz will run most AAA titles though, as long as they are not too CPU intensive, so maybe not battlefield 1, but an i3-6100 will do that just fine. Just remember to set PhysX to run on your GPU, not your CPU if you have an Nvidia GPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular