Bandwidth difference between mini and fullsize connectors

SpartanAmy107

I've been wondering about this today, with USB,micro USB, the old mini usb... and then Displayport and Mini Display port,  HDMI and micro HDMI... are there any differences in band width between  bigger and smaller connections? Or is in more for stronger physical connection because otherwise why not just have them all small for convenience?

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, SpartanAmy107 said:

I've been wondering about this today, with USB,micro USB, the old mini usb... and then Displayport and Mini Display port,  HDMI and micro HDMI... are there any differences in band width between  bigger and smaller connections? Or is in more for stronger physical connection because otherwise why not just have them all small for convenience?

Thanks.

I don't think so but I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, BloodyWaters said:

I don't think so but I could be wrong.

You are right they are technically identical, but the bigger ones are sturdier. Thats why you use the larger plugs at places where you have enough space

I don't think there are any differences in bandwidth, they have the same amount of traces, just in a smaller form factor. 

The existance of smaller connectors is nice but i wouldn't want to deal with them if not absolutely required. As you say they are fysically more easy to break.

There is no such thing as IRL, there is only AFK...

1 minute ago, losBaumos said:

You are right they are technically identical, but the bigger ones are sturdier. Thats why you use the larger plugs at places where you have enough space

I thought so.

10 minutes ago, SpartanAmy107 said:

Thanks.

Everything but DVI has the same bandwidth regardless of size.

5 minutes ago, losBaumos said:

For USB this actually isn't so. Micro USB was designed being plugged in and pulled out constantly in mind. Micro USB has a insertion cycle life of 10,000, where as a full size USB A has about 1,500. This may have changed, but initially it was only good for that.

Is there any risk of cross talk in a smaller connector compared to full size?

5 minutes ago, LordXenu said:

Is there any risk of cross talk in a smaller connector compared to full size?

Crosstalk is dependent on how much noise the lines generate. If there was a risk, the standard would've addressed it (by using shielded cables) or not support the physical properties of the transmission.