Canon T5 VS T5i VS T6

Rylie59

I'm trying to start a Youtube channel making fun skits with friends, and other video projects. These are the three cameras I'm mainly looking at buying. The T5i is the most I'm willing to spend on just the camera, but I don't know if it's worth it. I'd be spending less on things like a mic and lighting. The T6 seemed like a good compromise between functionality, cost, and image quality. However, I'm not sure if it's worth spending $50 more for a slightly better image with the T5i. The T5 being the cheapest would allow me to spend more on other equipment. The lack of a flip out screen on the T6 and T5 sucks, but I think I can deal with it. My total budget for all equipment including camera, lights, mic, and batteries would be about $650. What are your thoughts and recommendations? Nikon's D3400 or D3300 would also be an option at the high end of my budget.

I would go with the T5i over the T5/T6 as well.

I bought a T5 because I got a seemingly okay deal on it ($399 CAD and came with the 18-55mm and a 75-300mm lens as well).

There is no mic input on the T5/T6, so if that's something you care about then T5i is the way to go. 

No mic input on the T5 or T6. I didn't know that. That makes a big difference. Thanks for telling me that.

23 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

t5i is worth the extra of a t5/t6.

Do you really need a dslr though. A cheaper camcorder will also work fine. How about this https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/camcorders/consumer/vixia/vixia-hf-r700

I used a camcorder before. I've been looking forward to owning a DSLR for a while now. 

The T5i is an awesome camera, but for about the same price, $500 you can get a Pansonic G7 which shoots 4k and has a better image than the GH4.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

51 minutes ago, Rylie59 said:

I'm trying to start a Youtube channel making fun skits with friends, and other video projects. These are the three cameras I'm mainly looking at buying. The T5i is the most I'm willing to spend on just the camera, but I don't know if it's worth it. I'd be spending less on things like a mic and lighting. The T6 seemed like a good compromise between functionality, cost, and image quality. However, I'm not sure if it's worth spending $50 more for a slightly better image with the T5i. The T5 being the cheapest would allow me to spend more on other equipment. The lack of a flip out screen on the T6 and T5 sucks, but I think I can deal with it. My total budget for all equipment including camera, lights, mic, and batteries would be about $650. What are your thoughts and recommendations? Nikon's D3400 or D3300 would also be an option at the high end of my budget.

DO NOT BUY A REBEL T# CAMERA unless your budget is so low it's the only thing you can afford. That said, since you're after a camera for video production, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF MIC INPUTS AND FOCUSING BUY A REBEL T3i/T4i/T5i/T6i!!! The Rebel T1/2/3/4/5/6 non-i models are great photography cameras, but in no way were they ever designed to shoot video. Sure, they can shoot video, similar to how a van could town a large boat trailer, but in both examples neither item was designed to do what it's being expected of doing.

To be clear, the Rebel T#i Cameras are the one's you want to buy, and here's why: Canon has this weird and confusing naming scheme in North America and Japan, whereby they label their cameras in such a way that one might assume the Rebel T6 is better than a Rebel T1i. HINT: The T6 is WORSE than a T1i, despite being 5 years newer.

I believe Canon has done this intentionally to confuse people who don't do their research, because in Europe, Canon uses real series numbers like 500D, 550D, 600D, 1100D, 1200D, etc. to differentiate between what their Rebel cameras can do. If you pay attention to the Rebel Comparison Chart on Wikipedia, or compare cameras on a site like DPReview.com, you'll see exactly what I mean. Well, you'll see it if you understand camera jargon. So let's get to it.

• Megapixels are definitely important if you're shooting photos and you need large enough images to print on canvas or posterboard. Anything over 8MP is enough for an 8x10 photo, 12MP is good enough for a ledger sized 11x17 poster, and 16MP and up is usually good enough up to 36x48 canvas printing.
    • You'll notice that MP has kind of stalled around 18 or 22 or 24 MP - all plenty enough for photography.
  • Focus points are VERY important for video shooting, especially shooting any kind of moving subjects. They're even important if your camera is stationary but you'll be moving toward and away from the camera, since it needs to refocus a lot closer for that.
    • This is where something like the T6i became a game changer, since it supports 19 focus points as opposed to just 9.
  • DIGIC # is Canon's name of the image processor in each camera - think of this as a dedicated GPU-type of CPU dedicated to processing light rays. Obviously, the higher the number, the better it will process light. Now, Sony still holds the market for low light photography over any camera manufacturer, but Canon is getting much better with DIGIC 6, so be sure to take that into consideration.
    • The entry-level T3/5/6 are all still using DIGIC 4, probably because it costs Canon far less to produce than DIGIC 6.
  • FPS is another thing that the Rebel T#i cameras do better, although not by much. Still, having 5 FPS compared to just 3 can make the difference if you're ever trying to capture fast-moving subjects in photography.
  • Sensor format is also something to consider, although unless you've got a high budget, you're pretty much stuck with APS-C for now. Full frame sensors is what a lot of professional movies and YouTubers that have been around for a long time use, but those are only usually found in Canon's higher end 5D/6D/1D lineup.

As an avid hobbyist photographer, I would strongly urge you to either pickup a used T3i, T4i, or a new T6i, and a USM lens because USM lenses focus without making any noise which would be picked up even by an external microphone. Or, do as @Jacktastic-Mofo suggested and buy a Panasonic G7 since it'll give you very good results even if you plan on only shooting at 1080p60.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just now, kirashi said:

-snip-

Yeah, that.

I've been using a Nikon D3200 for the past three years and in all truth the camera you use DOES NOT matter, it's how you shoot with it. A better camera will just make life a little easier. I'm actually Selling my D3200 & Lenses to buy a G7 because GODDAMN is that camera awesome, small body, great low light, 4k, nice flat image. Just sexy af.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

1 minute ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Yeah, that.

I've been using a Nikon D3200 for the past three years and in all truth the camera you use DOES NOT matter, it's how you shoot with it. A better camera will just make life a little easier. I'm actually Selling my D3200 & Lenses to buy a G7 because GODDAMN is that camera awesome, small body, great low light, 4k, nice flat image. Just sexy af.

Spot on. I'm in a similar boat, still rocking an older T1i because I don't shoot much video, and love it since installing Magic Lantern a year after I got it. But I too am tempted to sell it and my 3 lenses to buy a Sony RX100 V simply because I'm sick of carrying around so much gear and want to go back to a pocket camera.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

15 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

The T5i is an awesome camera, but for about the same price, $500 you can get a Pansonic G7 which shoots 4k and has a better image than the GH4.

Unless I'm missing something, I'm only finding G7 body only for $500. With a lens would put me a little out of my budget. Also, from all I've heard the T5 and T6 are out of the question. The T5i is in the lead, and the T4i and T3i should be considered as well.

3 minutes ago, Rylie59 said:

Unless I'm missing something, I'm only finding G7 body only for $500. With a lens would put me a little out of my budget. Also, from all I've heard the T5 and T6 are out of the question. The T5i is in the lead, and the T4i and T3i should be considered as well.

It was on sale a few days ago for $500 with the kit lens. The G7 is an amazing camera, the t5i is pretty solid too. What phone do you have?

3 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

It was on sale a few days ago for $500 with the kit lens. The G7 is an amazing camera, the t5i is pretty solid too. What phone do you have?

Galaxy S3

20 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Been looking into it, and the G7 really does look great. I'll try to find that for around $500, and get that. 

I own a D3300. If you wanting to make videos that involve any movement of the camera id stay clear of the lower price nikon. If you going to be locking focus then it will be fine. the D3300/D3400 hunt for focus the entire time making it annoying to watch. For video go with a Canon. Used 60D would be good.