Upgrading from an 1155 Socket to an 1150 socket.

Go to solution Solved by typographie,
12 hours ago, F**k, I dunno. said:

Also, the only other Pentium at that shop is an 1151 socket, I'm assuming it isn't compatible.

Unfortunately no… matching a CPU to its socket is a hard requirement. LGA-1151 is the newest socket, for Skylake CPUs. You could go that route and buy a cheap 1151 motherboard, but Skylake has a soft requirement for DDR4 memory. While some DDR3-compatible motherboards exist, they are few and the official requirement is for lower-power "DDR3L" memory. Your current memory is technically still compatible with those motherboards, but as I understand it some careful control of voltages in your BIOS is necessary. It would probably be best to stick with 1155 or 1150 if you want to keep it as simple and cheap as possible.

Finding an LGA-1155 board is tough because it's a couple of generations old at this point. As you've noticed 1150 and 1151 are easier to find, because they're both more recent. If you can return the LGA-1150 motherboard, it may be easiest to find a used 1155 board on Ebay or something. You'd probably save quite a bit of money that way, at least.

Hello, all.

My brother's mobo crapped out a couple days ago, and I'm having issues finding a new mobo with an 1155 port to put my old processor in. I ended up going to my local computer shop to pick up an 1155, but instead accidentally picked up an 1150, so now I'm stuck with an 1150 port motherboard, and an 1155 port processor. My question is what is out there that is both equivalent in performance, and relatively low in price for an 1150 port processor.

The old processor: Intel® Pentium® Processor G860 (3M Cache, 3.00 GHz)

G3258

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

G3258. Probably better but that's what got on my mind first. But i think the shop should do a swap since you haven't used the motherboard..

Intel Pentium G3258

You can overclock this to like 4GHZ with the stock cooler if you have a Z series motherboard.

Any Pentium on LGA 1150. If you grab the G3258 you might be able to overclock it depending on your mobo, but it's also more expensive.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

If you don't intend to overclock (which seems unlikely given the circumstances), the Pentium G3250 is probably the best alternative. It's identical to a G3258, minus the ability to overclock, and a bit cheaper.

You can't just return the motherboard?

They should allow you to refund it if you haven't used it yet.

Did they not think to ask what processor was going in it? They could have told you which to get then.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I would recommend an i3 if you're buying a new CPU anyway, but a Pentium is fine too.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

It was my fault for the mishap with the purchase, I accidentally searched up an 1150 mobo and showed them that instead of double checking. As for return they're closed today, and the 7 day warranty ended today. Maybe I can return it, but then I still need to find an 1155 mobo. Something which doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere nearby, unless i get it from some thrifty person who's trying to sell a broken one, or online.

Also, the only other Pentium at that shop is an 1151 socket, I'm assuming it isn't compatible.

12 hours ago, F**k, I dunno. said:

Unfortunately no… matching a CPU to its socket is a hard requirement. LGA-1151 is the newest socket, for Skylake CPUs. You could go that route and buy a cheap 1151 motherboard, but Skylake has a soft requirement for DDR4 memory. While some DDR3-compatible motherboards exist, they are few and the official requirement is for lower-power "DDR3L" memory. Your current memory is technically still compatible with those motherboards, but as I understand it some careful control of voltages in your BIOS is necessary. It would probably be best to stick with 1155 or 1150 if you want to keep it as simple and cheap as possible.

Finding an LGA-1155 board is tough because it's a couple of generations old at this point. As you've noticed 1150 and 1151 are easier to find, because they're both more recent. If you can return the LGA-1150 motherboard, it may be easiest to find a used 1155 board on Ebay or something. You'd probably save quite a bit of money that way, at least.