Are you satisfied with current input connectors on GPUs?

So just to make this quick and simple, nVidia reference is sticking with 1DVI-D 1HDMI 3Display Ports, AMD reference going 1HDMI 3 Display Port, as it makes perfectly sense these newest high end cards comes with more Display Ports since its the higher tier and newest technology however aside USA/Canada and East Europe with a few exceptions, a lot of countries and I do mean a lot, like greater portion of Asia, All of Central and South America etc... has a way more limited market of monitors and displays in general.

In such countries the DVI based monitors and HDMI based televisions are still the greater majority of products around, so saying Display Port has made the others obsolete is very far from truth when you have the international picture, here in Brazil for instance AMD got a lot flamed on national forums for killing DVI from their newest cards.

So having that in mind and despite the majority of users here are from countries where Display Port displays are more part of reality we do have a diverse international community, and even those I do want to question you; Are you satisfied with the Green and Red standard for inputs? Should they change it in any form on your opinion? I personally feel 1 DVI is still required like even my LG 29'' 2560x1080p which is one of the only ultra wide monitors manufactured in Brazil now making its cost accessible is working on DVI.

Would you however consider that someone if facing input issues should just get those cables with different ends such has HDMI<-->DisplayPort or DVI<-->HDMI or adapters? This is just a thread I had in mind for a while and thought about hearing some opinions about it

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Yeah I really don't like having to buy more dongles to be able to keep running my VGA monitors. They still work you know? And it doesn't cost much to add the analog signal to the DVI connector.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Totally happy :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

My graphics card doesn't have any input connectors. The only graphics card with inputs that I have seen are some Nvidia Quadro cards.

I assume that you mean output connectors.

Just now, Emmien said:

My graphics card doesn't have any input connectors. The only graphics card with inputs that I have seen are some Nvidia Quadro cards.

Potato potato

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Yeah I really don't like having to buy more dongles to be able to keep running my VGA monitors. They still work you know? And it doesn't cost much to add the analog signal to the DVI connector.

100% true. My connector preference goes

1. DVI
  2. VGA
  3. DisplayPort
  4. HDMI
  5. BNC RGBHV
  6. Phono Component

I'm ok with how they are now and wouldn't be too bothered with just display port connectors, but then I'm ok with using display port to dvi cables or display port to VGA adapters.

Myanimelist | F@H stats |

Spoiler

| CPU: I7-4790k OC'D to 4.5Ghz | GPU: GTX 970 | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2 x 8 GBS (stock 2133Mhz) OC'd | Case : NZXT Phantom 410 | Displays: Asus VG248QE 24" & VE228TR 21.5" | PSU: Corsair CP-9020077-UK 650W | CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H55 | Storage: ? Kingston 240 GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB  | Keyboard: Logitech 213 Prodigy | Mouse: Logitech G600 | Headphones: Sennheiser hd380 pro | Mic: MXL 550 | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Very true, I have a friend who uses DVI-I so he can still use his CRT monitor, I know this is very old stuff but some people just can't get over the colour quality on these, they still work better than IPS for the most part don't they?

@Emmien, well yah? sorry about the nomenclature I guess I just have always called it inputs because you put the cable in it lmao xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Very true, I have a friend who uses DVI-I so he can still use his CRT monitor, I know this is very old stuff but some people just can't get over the colour quality on these, they still work better than IPS for the most part don't they?

@Emmien, well yah? sorry about the nomenclature I guess I just have always called it inputs because you put the cable in it lmao xD

CRTs are love, they're just so big xD

Not sure about color quality on them that said.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

One less DVI-whatever connector to make the outputs single slot and I'd be happy.

Isn't the RX480 dual slot(size) despite killing it, regardless?

Personal Desktop":

The standard here is:

HDMI, Displayport, DVI-D on GTX 1050/RX 460 and some 1060's (and lower , with the exceptions of older gen cards which some have VGA instead of DP) and on most GTX 1060/RX 470 cards and higher: 1xHDMI, 3xDP, 1xDVI-D (some trade one DP for another HDMI, mainly Asus cards).

I'm okay with this standard, but would have much rather either have another DP instead of the DVI or change the DVI-D to DVI-I (for VGA compatibility).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

CRTs are love, they're just so big xD

Not sure about color quality on them that said.

And refresh rate too. Imagine cs go and bf/cod games lol

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Potato potato

Complete opposites. -_-

I doubt that there is a monitor (Some TV's don't) in the world that doesn't have VGA. It is the worldwide standard for plugging in a monitor to a PC. 

All cards should come with DVI.

My card has VGA, DVI and HDMI.

My main screen, A cheap, and rubbish (Can't say that. It is watching what I type.) Benq, is connected with DVI to DVI.

My second screen, a beautiful NEC 4:3 display, is connected with an HDMI to DVI cable. It works great.

DVI (DisplayPort is coming though) is the standard for projectors and monitors in professional AV, which is another reason why it should still be present on high end cards.

I still want VGA cuz my monitor has it and BLUEEE

My monitor is only 1080P so I'm fine with HDMI.
If I get a second I can just use 2 DisplayPort to HDMI adaptors. Having 3 is perfect as I can have 3 DP to HDMI converters. Having 3 of the same port is better to reduce the lag on certain monitors. (So I hear)

As for DVI I find that partially necessary for those with legacy monitors.
I don't know anyone with a CRT, but IMO if you're using VGA you're probably using a server, and the Motherboard graphics should be enough as I hear most servers are just running text based graphics for the most part, or basic desktop applications that don't need a lot of graphical horsepower.

My personal Graphics card has 2 DVI ports (Unused), 1 HDMI, 1 Display Port.
(MSI R9 390. No X, no extreme, nothing. Standard R9 390 by MSI.)

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Aren't some VGA ports black?

6 minutes ago, Emmien said:

thats pretty cool, does it have a build in fusion reactor and quantum tunneling communication? sounds pretty advanced to have no inputs at all like pci-e or power. all jokes and games,

Well, seeing as I only require one Displayport, yes.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 minute ago, Emmien said:

Complete opposites. -_-

I made you pout :D

I get it but your post sounded nitpicky so I couldn't resist

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Don't like to yourself, your monitor has nothing to do with you wanting VGA

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

I'm happy as long as DP is present. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

5 minutes ago, fpo said:

Having 3 of the same port is better to reduce the lag on certain monitors. (So I hear)

I don't think that that is true.

5 minutes ago, fpo said:

IMO if you're using VGA you're probably using a server, and the Motherboard graphics should be enough as I hear most servers are just running text based graphics for the most part, or basic desktop applications that don't need a lot of graphical horsepower.

Most desktop computers use VGA. Look in any office. Blue plugs everywhere!

You are partially right. 99.99999% of servers use VGA. I use it for the many computers in my shed, along with a KVM, so I can switch controls between them with the press of a button (Or, by pressing Num Lock twice). I can have 8 computers to two screens, or more if I daisy chain KVMs.

Most large data centers now use remote access over a network (Like SSH) to make adjustments on servers, but sometimes, you need to be there with a keyboard and a screen.

4 minutes ago, tlink said:

thats pretty cool, does it have a build in fusion reactor and quantum tunneling communication? sounds pretty advanced to have no inputs at all like pci-e or power. all jokes and games,

PCI-E is an interface.

The power bit... You got me.