Sharing Files Using Ethernet Cable But Speed Drops

Onur_Tyran

Hi everyone,

I recently connected my PC to my notebook after looking at this http://hackerslane.com/2010/how-to-transfer-files-between-two-pcs-using-lanethernet-cable/

At first it was nice transfering files at 100Mb/s but recently it just stays exactly at 1.73Mb/s. 

What might be the problem here ?

Edit:

Update, after following this;  http://www.howtosolutions.net/2013/06/fixing-slow-sending-or-receiving-of-files-through-lan-network-using-windows/

Disabling “Large Send Offload (LSO)”

Large Send Offload is a technique of improving network performance while at the same time reducing CPU overhead. Apparently it does not work very well, so it was suggested to disable it. If you would like to know about LSO, check this MSDN article from 2001.

LSO is an option located in a Device Manager under your network adapter, so this solution requires Administrator Privileges.

Follow these steps:

Open Start Menu, right-click on Computer and select Properties
Under Control Panel Home located on the left side of the window click on Device Manager
You will get a list of all devices on your machine. Expand Network Adapters.
Find your Network Card and double-click on it.
Select Advanced tab. You will get a list filled with different options.
Select Large Send Offload V2 (IPv4) and set the value to Disabled
Do the same for Large Send Offload V2 (IPv6) if it is available
Click OK
After clicking OK, I tried to send a file over the LAN network. The transfer speed started very slow, but it was gradually picking up speed. I decided to restart the computer and try to send that file again and this time it worked like a charm.

Now that sending of files worked as it should, I also checked speed for receiving files. It turned out that it was still slow but all I had to do to fix that was to disable Large Send Offload V2 on the other computer. Once done,  the problem was solved for receiving files as well.

It returned to it's former high speeds. I don't know why it slowed down in the first place but this(probably) fixed it. 

What kind of files are you copying? Is it like that with large files as well?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

It started recenly. I was copying World of Warcraft to my desktop. It has relatively large data files that are about 1Gb each.

It could be copying a bunch of small files which tend to go slower. Have you tried copying anything else and noticed the same speed drop?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

No. I copied my videos/photos. I used 7-zip to make them in to a single uncompressed file. It also didn't happen when I copied my steam library. It wasn't at full speed but after the smaller files it always returned to higher transfer speeds.