"The activation server reported that the product key has exceeded its unlock limit"

Go to solution Solved by Faster_Speeding,

You're gonna have to try and work with Microsoft support about that one.

I switched my hard drive with my operating system (Windows 8) between systems and now when I try to enter the key in it comes up with the error above. I put the hard drive back into the old computer and deleted the key there, but I still get this error. I have also repeatedly uninstalled the key in the current computer, but I still have no luck. How do I make the computer register the key?

You're gonna have to try and work with Microsoft support about that one.

Myanimelist | F@H stats |

Spoiler

| CPU: I7-4790k OC'D to 4.5Ghz | GPU: GTX 970 | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2 x 8 GBS (stock 2133Mhz) OC'd | Case : NZXT Phantom 410 | Displays: Asus VG248QE 24" & VE228TR 21.5" | PSU: Corsair CP-9020077-UK 650W | CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H55 | Storage: ? Kingston 240 GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB  | Keyboard: Logitech 213 Prodigy | Mouse: Logitech G600 | Headphones: Sennheiser hd380 pro | Mic: MXL 550 | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

you can try to activate via phone

open Run box, type slui.exe and follow the instructions from there

Will Microsoft actually help me? Most companies won't listen to you half of the time.

2 minutes ago, UrdnotGrunt said:

you can try to activate via phone

open Run box, type slui.exe and follow the instructions from there

Tried it already, had no luck.

1 minute ago, pitbox46 said:

Will Microsoft actually help me? Most companies won't listen to you half of the time.

Depends on the tech you get. I'm 2-for-2 on getting the key fixed, others here have had no luck whatsoever.

I actually prefer the online chat support guys. I ended up going through them both times, and there were far fewer questions and far more, "Let me remote in there and fix this."

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Depends on the tech you get. I'm 2-for-2 on getting the key fixed, others here have had no luck whatsoever.

I actually prefer the online chat support guys. I ended up going through them both times, and there were far fewer questions and far more, "Let me remote in there and fix this."

Thanks, I'll contact them tomorrow and let you know how it went.

7 minutes ago, pitbox46 said:

Yes, already had activation problems when I changed my mobo, contact Answer Desk, they might get access to your computer (with your permission) but they'll do the job

16 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I've had better luck with the online chat guys too, however instead of letting them get access to my system and do as they pleased, I simply denied allowing them to remote in, and just had them tell me what to do. (Which I already knew how, I just needed them to get me a different product key for upgrading a windows 10 home installation to windows 10 pro, so I could then activate it with my windows 8 pro key)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

53 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

I've had better luck with the online chat guys too, however instead of letting them get access to my system and do as they pleased, I simply denied allowing them to remote in, and just had them tell me what to do. (Which I already knew how, I just needed them to get me a different product key for upgrading a windows 10 home installation to windows 10 pro, so I could then activate it with my windows 8 pro key)

It should be noted that I've only ever allowed them to remote into "blank slate" systems that had the OS installed and nothing else ;)

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

It should be noted that I've only ever allowed them to remote into "blank slate" systems that had the OS installed and nothing else ;)

I wouldn't even allow them to do that, who knows what those tech support people might be up to.. :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

5 hours ago, pitbox46 said:
I switched my hard drive with my operating system (Windows 8) between systems and now when I try to enter the key in it comes up with the error above. I put the hard drive back into the old computer and deleted the key there, but I still get this error. I have also repeatedly uninstalled the key in the current computer, but I still have no luck. How do I make the computer register the key?

fix your post to work with Dark Theme users.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

9 hours ago, pitbox46 said:

Maybe you can purchase the license key. You might typed the wrong key, or the key is fake for using the free license key. You can bring your pc to experts and reformat your pc's drive.* | BTW thanks for reading. Hope you appreciate it. And have a happy new year.

*:Backup necessary files if possible.

Context Matters!

Thanks for the responses guys. I got online tech support and they solved my problem.