How much power is TOO much when buying a PSU

AlgaeEater

I'm currently looking at the RMi 650 PSU, but I'm wondering, how much is TOO much when it comes to buying a power supply.  I hear that if you get a PSU thats, 'Way above your specific needs', It can use to much power from the wall or just be too inefficient.

From a PSU calcuator My watts seem to be around 300 give or take.. and I'm currently using a Msi Gtx970 (that I plan to upgrade), i5-6600k, one Strip of LEDs, an AIO Cooler, 4 fans, SSD, HHD.  Pretty much just the basics.  Would a 650 be too much?

Ignore PSU calculators, they are often wrong by a lot. 

A Corsair RM650i is really good and you can SLI on it in the future. Go ahead with it.

Yes. Pretty much too much

it would be too much based on the fact a 550 would be enough, but it wouldn't be less efficient and pull more from the wall, the wattage rating is the max it can supply the pc, not how much it is constantly pulling from the wall.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I'd go with a 650 watt, to give plenty of room to grow. Keep in mind, this is one of the few components you can really future-proof. Also, make sure to buy from a reputable supplier (Corsair, CoolerMaster, ect.)

Try to focus on how well power is distributed on the rails and the quality vs the total wattage.  I generally favor 80Plus Gold since manufacturers will tend to use better quality components on their 80Plus Gold lines.  I say 650W or 750W depending on the price and future expansion requirements is the sweet spot.

For a single modern gpu set up, 650w is excessive. Although I'm one to talk with a 550w platinum unit from Silverstone powering a GTX 1060 and lightly overclocked 6700k lmao

It's better to have excessive power than insufficient power but it's also good to know how much is reasonable and much is not.

650W is fine... considering that's the lowest wattage RMi power supply you can get (and the Corsair RMi series are more than just good).

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

12 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

For a single modern gpu set up, 650w is excessive. Although I'm one to talk with a 550w platinum unit from Silverstone powering a GTX 1060 and lightly overclocked 6700k lmao

What if I have plans to upgrade or maybe even SLI?  Not now ofc.. but just to have the option open to something I know I'm going to do down the road?

Buying a 1250W for a 300w pc is too much i guess..

550-600W should be more than enough for the average market.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

10 minutes ago, AlgaeEater said:

What if I have plans to upgrade or maybe even SLI?  Not now ofc.. but just to have the option open to something I know I'm going to do down the road?

650w for SLI is a good fit considering how efficient Nvidia cards are these days. 

12 hours ago, AlgaeEater said:

I'm currently looking at the RMi 650 PSU, but I'm wondering, how much is TOO much when it comes to buying a power supply.  I hear that if you get a PSU thats, 'Way above your specific needs', It can use to much power from the wall or just be too inefficient.

From a PSU calcuator My watts seem to be around 300 give or take.. and I'm currently using a Msi Gtx970 (that I plan to upgrade), i5-6600k, one Strip of LEDs, an AIO Cooler, 4 fans, SSD, HHD.  Pretty much just the basics.  Would a 650 be too much?

A 650W RMi is what I would purchase for myself if I bought a second 970 for my system so you're in a good spot.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

11 hours ago, Mooshi said:

650w for SLI is a good fit considering how efficient Nvidia cards are these days. 

Pascal cards actually use more power than Maxwell cards so if OP had a 1070 I'd actually suggest a 750W.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||