Old WiFi Card Works Better?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

So I RMA'd it and as it turns out, according to them anyway there was an issue with the hardware and they sent me a brand new one. I installed the brand new one and the latest drivers and I don't seem to be having the issue anymore. 

So it looks okay? I haven't had the issue as far as I've used it so far anyway... hoping it doesn't have issues down the road as well... 

Also for the Asus RMA process, I don't get why people bitch over that. I had to do it and everything went smooth. 

Also went and tested it on the Mac side of things and I don't have the issue that I used to have so it looks like everything is okay now. 

So I have this older WiFi card a Linksys WMP600N, it's using the PCI standard and for some reason, it's working better than this new card that I got a while ago, my Asus PCE-AC68 which uses the PCIe standard. I find that strange and was just wondering if this is normal. I can't seem to find what the maximum the Linksys card is able to use, but the Asus card says it's able to put a maximum through of 450 Mbps. I'm using 802.11 N for both cards. 

5 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

So I have this older WiFi card a Linksys WMP600N, it's using the PCI standard and for some reason, it's working better than this new card that I got a while ago, my Asus PCE-AC68 which uses the PCIe standard. I find that strange and was just wondering if this is normal. I can't seem to find what the maximum the Linksys card is able to use, but the Asus card says it's able to put a maximum through of 450 Mbps. I'm using 802.11 N for both cards. 

might have to do with interference or something due to different slots and different antenna placement etc. etc.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What do you mean by better, faster?

What access point are you using?

It's a lot more stable. When I use the Asus card while gaming and loading YouTube videos, it just flat out disconnects from the game. I'm not really sure what the issue could be. Access point is just stock stuff I got from my ISP. 

3 hours ago, tlink said:

might have to do with interference or something due to different slots and different antenna placement etc. etc.

Nothing to do with interference. The slots are literally right next to each other. I only have one in at a time for testing. 

Just now, IAmLamp said:

Nothing to do with interference. The slots are literally right next to each other. I only have one in at a time for testing. 

i wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it as so. i know for example that being close to a usb3.0 port or something like that causes big interference with 2.4ghz. the interference is very short range. 

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2423604,00.asp

3 hours ago, tlink said:

i wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it as so. i know for example that being close to a usb3.0 port or something like that causes big interference with 2.4ghz. the interference is very short range. 

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2423604,00.asp

It's not interference. 

Is there a way to find out what the maximum the card will allow like in Windows somewhere? 

edit- seems like the max throughput for the linksys card is 130-144 Mbps 

• 2 weeks later...

So I RMA'd it and as it turns out, according to them anyway there was an issue with the hardware and they sent me a brand new one. I installed the brand new one and the latest drivers and I don't seem to be having the issue anymore. 

So it looks okay? I haven't had the issue as far as I've used it so far anyway... hoping it doesn't have issues down the road as well... 

Also for the Asus RMA process, I don't get why people bitch over that. I had to do it and everything went smooth. 

Also went and tested it on the Mac side of things and I don't have the issue that I used to have so it looks like everything is okay now.