Weird high pitched sound when GPU is under load

TheLunchBawx

Hello.

I just recently bought my new system, and it's been working great.

My Specs:

CPU: i7 6700K

Mobo: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz

Storage Samsung 850 EVO and 1TB HDD

GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 ROG Strix

PSU: Corsair CX750

Now just the past few days I have been overclocking both my CPU and GPU. I started with my CPU, and I was able to get a so far stable 4.5GHz overclock with 1.3V. No issues so far.

Just today I tried overclocking my GPU and I'm trying to test how far my GPU can overclock. I was benchmarking with Valley and when I took my headphones off I heard a high pitched buzzing noise. Only happens when the GPU is under load. I am not sure if it's my PSU or GPU making that sound. I thought it was the PSU but I am not sure now. Also, as soon as I quit the benchmark the buzzing turns into this screeching high pitched noise then just goes away.

I'm kinda worried if I keep benchmarking it will break something. When I play games the buzzing is not that loud and when I quit the game then the screeching noise doesn't appear. It only appears when I benchmark.

What could this be? Any help would be appreciated. I was thinking about buying a new PSU but do I need to spend that extra money instead of buying a new CPU cooler? 

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like coil whine to me. It's unfortunate that your card has it but it's basically a case where you either get it or not.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Sounds like coil whine to me.

From the PSU or GPU? I thought it was too but from which one.

3 hours ago, TheLunchBawx said:

Hello.

My Specs:

Now just the past few days I have been overclocking both my CPU and GPU. I started with my CPU, and I was able to get a so far stable 4.5GHz overclock with 1.3V. No issues so far.

Just today I tried overclocking my GPU and I'm trying to test how far my GPU can overclock. I was benchmarking with Valley and when I took my headphones off I heard a high pitched buzzing noise. Only happens when the GPU is under load. I am not sure if it's my PSU or GPU making that sound. I thought it was the PSU but I am not sure now. Also, as soon as I quit the benchmark the buzzing turns into this screeching high pitched noise then just goes away.

I'm kinda worried if I keep benchmarking it will break something. When I play games the buzzing is not that loud and when I quit the game then the screeching noise doesn't appear. It only appears when I benchmark.

What could this be? Any help would be appreciated. I was thinking about buying a new PSU but do I need to spend that extra money instead of buying a new CPU cooler? 

Thanks in advance.

yea most likely coil whine

4 minutes ago, TheLunchBawx said:

-snip-

This is called coil Whine, and it's caused by your GPU's coil vibrating under load. Some GPUs suffer from this, some do not. It's a luck of a draw kind of thing.

This is not dangerous to the GPU at all, but it is really annoying.

A new PSU might not solve coil whine sadly (sometimes it helps), but it's mostly to do with how much work the GPU is doing.

3 minutes ago, TheLunchBawx said:

Hello.

My Specs:

Thanks in advance.

First thing that comes to mind is coil whine that is quite common in some GPUs. Or then it can be the fans because they ramp up to so high speed that they might make the noise.

5 minutes ago, TheLunchBawx said:

From the PSU or GPU? I thought it was too but from which one.

Coil whine can happen on either but from what I can gather from your case, it seems like it's coming from the STRIX. I'm afraid there's not much you can do about it (especially with ASUS) but rest assured, it's nothing to worry about.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

This is called Coil Whine, and it's caused by your GPU's coil vibrating under load. Some GPUs suffer from this, some do not. It's a luck of a draw kind of thing.

This is not dangerous to the GPU at all, but it is really annoying.

A new PSU might not solve coil whine sadly (sometimes it helps), but it's mostly to do with how much work the GPU is doing.

Thanks. I thought it was coil whine with my PSU not GPU. Should I try contacting ASUS about this or just deal with the annoyance?

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Coil whine can happen on either but from what I can gather from your case, it seems like it's coming from the STRIX. I'm afraid there's not much you can do about it (especially with ASUS) but rest assured, it's nothing to worry about.

Alright, thank you.

10 minutes ago, HylianLink said:

yea most likely coil whine

lol. Jay video on the LTT forums.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*Personal Rig*_*_*_*_*_*_*

CPU: Core i7 7700k @ 5.1 GHz

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SSC ACX 3.0

MOBO: ASROCK Z270 Killer SLI/AC

RAM: 16 GB HyperX Fury

COOLER: NZXT Kraken X52

CASE: NZXT S340 Elite

STORAGE:  500GB NVME Samsung 960 Pro

500GB Samsung 860 EVO

4TB Seagate Barracuda (7200 RPM)

The only thing that makes me wonder is my PSU is known for coil whine but I don't think that type of coil whine.

7 minutes ago, TheLunchBawx said:

Thanks. I thought it was coil whine with my PSU not GPU. Should I try contacting ASUS about this or just deal with the annoyance?

Well, they won't do anything since your card "works" fine. It is annoying, but it's not damaging or considered defective in any way sadly.

Well, a crappy PSU can cause a GPU to have coil whine, but it has to be pretty bad to do so.

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

Well, they won't do anything since your card "works" fine. It is annoying, but it's not damaging or considered defective in any way sadly.

Well, a crappy PSU can cause a GPU to have coil whine, but it has to be pretty bad to do so.

Okay. Yeah, I don't think a Corsair PSU can be that bad but my PSU is known for coil whine, so that's why I thought it was that instead of my GPU.

6 minutes ago, TheLunchBawx said:

Okay. Yeah, I don't think a Corsair PSU can be that bad but my PSU is known for coil whine, so that's why I thought it was that instead of my GPU.

Hmm, well, PSU coil whine is a thing as well, but I have my bets on the GPU being it because you were trying to overclock the GPU putting more load on it.

What benchmark / fps count were you getting when you were testing?

I tried benchmarking again and it sounded like it was coming out of the bottom of the case where the back of the power supply is. Maybe it just sounds like that even if it's the GPU?

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

Hmm, well, PSU coil whine is a thing as well, but I have my bets on the GPU being it because you were trying to overclock the GPU putting more load on it.

What benchmark / fps count were you getting when you were testing?

I was getting around 200FPS on the Valley benchmark. I also tried turning VSync on in the benchmark and the fps shot down to 60 decreasing the sound of the buzz and then shot back up to 220FPS making the sound louder.

3 minutes ago, TheLunchBawx said:

I was getting around 200FPS on the Valley benchmark. I also tried turning VSync on in the benchmark and the fps shot down to 60 decreasing the sound of the buzz and then shot back up to 220FPS making the sound louder.

Yeah, 200fps or something really high would cause coil whine. Interesting though, what settings were you using? My 1070 was getting 90-120fps at 1080 with everything maxed out.

5 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, 200fps or something really high would cause coil whine. Interesting though, what settings were you using? My 1070 was getting 90-120fps at 1080 with everything maxed out.

Settings are:

DirectX 11

Quality: Ultra

Stereo 3D: Disabled

Anti-aliasing: Off

Resolution: 1080

When I heard the sound of the coil whine go down when the FPS when down to 60 then that makes me think more GPU.

Just now, TheLunchBawx said:

-snip-

Yeah, turn AA to x8 and you should see a notable drop in FPS.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the GPU if you mention it goes down as the fps goes down.

4 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, turn AA to x8 and you should see a notable drop in FPS.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the GPU if you mention it goes down as the fps goes down.

Alright thanks for the help. Not sure if I should still buy a new PSU because it's kind of old or if I should just go for a new CPU cooler. 

27 minutes ago, TheLunchBawx said:

Alright thanks for the help. Not sure if I should still buy a new PSU because it's kind of old or if I should just go for a new CPU cooler. 

Hmm, what temps do the CPU run at? I would say CPU cooler depending on the fan speed / CPU temps.

1 hour ago, Wayne Geissinger said:

lol. Jay video on the LTT forums.

jay is actually a fairly "default" source on video card information on LTT forums, as is dave (eevblog) for electronics, wendell (formerly teksyndicate, now level1techs) for the weird, excentric PC stuff, louis rossmann for rants about macbooks, and carey holzman for gaming pizza.

and you'd use jay videos just for the embed of the thumbnails :P

1 hour ago, scottyseng said:

Hmm, what temps do the CPU run at? I would say CPU cooler depending on the fan speed / CPU temps.

At load it's around 65 degrees celsius, overclocked to 4.5Ghz.

So I found out that I'm pretty sure it's my Power supply. Reason why is because the sound is louder behind the case where the power supply is and it's quieter where the GPU is.