Can someone die of Pain?

abhigyan001

Can someone die of Pain produced by stimulating neural activity?

Hardcore Hardware Whore | Check out my Blog for for Latest Tech News and more | Cricket Fan | Weapons Nut | 

4 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

usually a case of the heart giving out.

It's more of a side effect.

why is it a side effect? who determines what are side effects and what are not side effects?

8 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

usually a case of the heart giving out.

It's more of a side effect.

What I mean is by inflicting artificial pain in the brain.

Hardcore Hardware Whore | Check out my Blog for for Latest Tech News and more | Cricket Fan | Weapons Nut | 

3 minutes ago, tlink said:

why is it a side effect? who determines what are side effects and what are not side effects?

Science maybe?

2 minutes ago, tlink said:

The pain causes the body to dump Adrenalin into the system, this causes the body to work harder, and harder, until eventually parts give out. Usually it's the heart that gives out first...

As I said, it's a side effect.

14 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

No you can't. You can die from what is causing the pain, but not the pain itself. 

Wrong. Toxic Shock. Look it up.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

17 minutes ago, Lucianoinfanti said:

Science maybe?

that's not a complete answer. 

14 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

The pain causes the body to dump Adrenalin into the system, this causes the body to work harder, and harder, until eventually parts give out. Usually it's the heart that gives out first...

As I said, it's a side effect.

side effect implies that there was an unintended use, can anything be intentional in random mutation evolution? isn't our whole existence then a side effect? i think we just can't use something like side effect outside of pharmaceuticals. it's not really a good scientific term since it relies on some ultimately subjective principles if we don't know intentions or if there is no intelligent design.

edit: not just pharmaceuticals, but like i said only in cases of clear intelligent design.

Of course you can! You didn't know that?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Of course you can! You didn't know that?

What I mean is by inflicting artificial brain by stimulating neurons, not a pain caused by an injury or something.
By artificial/fake pain.

1 minute ago, abhigyan001 said:

What I mean is by inflicting artificial brain by stimulating neurons, not a pain caused by an injury or something.
By artificial/fake pain.

It's possible, extreme form of stress/shock can cause sudden death.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Not directly, but you'll probably have a heart attack because of your reaction (especially if you're particularly susceptible to heart failure). Or you might kill yourself out of desperation. Regardless, you probably won't be able to sleep which will eventually kill you.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

53 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I looked it up know Wikipedia but it doesn't seem to say anything about pain? 

- snip-

Pain is a source of stress which can, and will, take it's toll on the human body.

For someone who is very healthy prolonged periods of pain will eventually cause health issues that can lead to an early death, such as heart failure.

People who already have medical conditions that can be life threatening will be affected much worse.  So while the pain wouldn't kill them per se the pain can exacerbate their pre-existing condition to the point of death. Kind of like throwing gas on an already lit house fire. 

So to answer your question a sudden onset of pain will not, likely, kill a healthy person right away.  However it does have the ability to kill someone who already has other health issues.

If you experience too much pain, you lose consciousness, you don't die.  This happens to people who experience excessive physical trauma

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d  Motherboard:  Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite  RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 16GB DDR5 6000   GPU:  Zotac RTX 4090

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair SHIFT RM1000x  Display:  ASUS AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC

4 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Err... Toxic Shock causes multiple organ failure, and that is what kills you, not the pain itself.

People are conflating two things:

1. The pain itself

2. The actual cause of death

The pain can cause physical reactions - often an excess of adrenaline. This stress will overwork your internal organs. This can cause your internal organs to fail. THAT FAILURE is what kills you.

I suppose it's semantics, certainly, as the shock/pain is what lead to you death ultimately, but it's the difference between saying a car crash killed you, or blunt force trauma killed you because the car squeezed your organs into pancake soup.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

No Patrick, you look it up.

Toxic shock is a bacterial infection, often caused by Staphylococcus aureus and it can result in altering your blood pressure, fever and organ failure.

What do you think is the reason people die from toxic shock?

A) Their organs failing (kidney failure and liver inflammation among other things)

or

B) The pain they suffer as their organs fail?

I don't know about you, but I think it is pretty obvious that if multiple organs fails then that is most likely the cause of death, not the pain.

Reading is really not one of your strengths, is it?

57 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

No Patrick, you look it up.

Toxic shock is a bacterial infection, often caused by Staphylococcus aureus and it can result in altering your blood pressure, fever and organ failure.

What do you think is the reason people die from toxic shock?

A) Their organs failing (kidney failure and liver inflammation among other things)

or

B) The pain they suffer as their organs fail?

I don't know about you, but I think it is pretty obvious that if multiple organs fails then that is most likely the cause of death, not the pain.

Reading is really not one of your strengths, is it?

You're splitting hairs you ingrate. And no, toxic shock is any shock caused by toxification, including adrenaline toxification. It is not limited to bacteria or virus-based poisonings. And yes, the organ failure is what kills you, but that was caused by the toxification of your body, and that was caused by adrenaline, and that was caused by the pain. Causality, learn it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Pain in and of itself does not possess the capability to harm, in fact, it is designed to reduce the severity of harm. The body however was not designed to withstand prolonged periods of pain.

The stress involved can eventually wear down the body due to varying factors, including but not limited to cardiac failure, psychosis, insomnia (it is confirmed that lack of sleep can eventually kill), suicide, etc. Some people may withstand pain better than another, and thus succumbs slower, or not at all.

Not certain if there is an upper limit on pain that the body can feel (there probably is), though if there is, it may be assumed one could be trained to overcome it to an extent, or at least, frustrate a torturer. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

There's more than 1 mechanism though: most people who would experience extreme pain at first would get adrenaline but eventually they would probably pass out as the body tries to save itself from dying (brain goes "hey fucktard, you're not avoiding the pain and you're starving me of oxygen I'm shutting down the party to get more oxygen up in this bitch") 

So it would need to be a very deliberate effort (basically torture) to push constant, unrelenting pain but without passing out (or reanimating the subject if he does) or some kind of condition that would cause chronic, extremely acute pain but again most people would beg for either painkillers or death before they actually die from pain.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Toxic shock syndrome is not the same as plain old toxic shock. Toxic shock can be caused by any toxin that can put you into shock.

I can not find anything about "toxic shock". Got any links? The only thing I can find is a metal band called toxic shock.

I am starting to think you made up the term yourself.