New PC for a Hotel Business

TerraDSerph
1 minute ago, manikyath said:

two months back i ran scripts on a 20 page excel sheet on a mobile dualcore i5 and 4 gigs of PotatoRam++

Potato ram is the best. Especially the mashed or baked variety. Mmmm potatoes....

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($61.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($144.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.69 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $556.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-26 14:57 EST-0500

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b88MXH

so.. this is probably the most disappointing $600 price bracket rig i've ever put together, but that's with reason.

- i5-6400, mostly because i'm unsure about how those hotel specific applications are in terms of resource usage, "playing safe" so to say.

- just a tiny mobo, i've seen enough horrors to no longer worry about the kind of mobo i put in office rigs.

- i actually went with this specific stick of ram for a reason: as you said you probably wont be there forever, and a "plain stick of ram" eyes much more professional than one of those "gaming-grade" sticks with fancy heat spreaders and bells and whistles. so in turn the next person that is tasked with the hardware maintenance of this rig will not roll his eyes at you.

- similar story for the samsung 850 pro, i'm gonna reitreate again that i'm not too sure on the hotel specific software, so i cant estimate how much hard drive space is necessary. so once again playing safe.

- the case is another very specific pick, this one more so for the eye of your clients than for the eye of the person working on it. it's a small "understated" case, that's specificly designed to not catch eyes, while also offering plenty of ventilation (long term reliability ;)) and a sensible front I/O location. (having that on the side is a good thing for a multitude of reasons.

- seasonic power supply, because seasonic.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b88MXH

so.. this is probably the most disappointing $600 price bracket rig i've ever put together, but that's with reason.

- i5-6400, mostly because i'm unsure about how those hotel specific applications are in terms of resource usage, "playing safe" so to say.

- just a tiny mobo, i've seen enough horrors to no longer worry about the kind of mobo i put in office rigs.

- i actually went with this specific stick of ram for a reason: as you said you probably wont be there forever, and a "plain stick of ram" eyes much more professional than one of those "gaming-grade" sticks with fancy heat spreaders and bells and whistles. so in turn the next person that is tasked with the hardware maintenance of this rig will not roll his eyes at you.

- similar story for the samsung 850 pro, i'm gonna reitreate again that i'm not too sure on the hotel specific software, so i cant estimate how much hard drive space is necessary. so once again playing safe.

- the case is another very specific pick, this one more so for the eye of your clients than for the eye of the person working on it. it's a small "understated" case, that's specificly designed to not catch eyes, while also offering plenty of ventilation (long term reliability ;)) and a sensible front I/O location. (having that on the side is a good thing for a multitude of reasons.

- seasonic power supply, because seasonic.

I'm questioning my knowledge about PCs now. Or maybe I just don't know enough about Intel chips. So computers like these don't need graphics cards?

I know about APUs, but I thought only AMD made those.

2 minutes ago, TerraDSerph said:

I'm questioning my knowledge about PCs now. Or maybe I just don't know enough about Intel chips. So computers like these don't need graphics cards?

I know about APUs, but I thought only AMD made those.

all desktop chips (celeron, pentium, i3, i5, non-enthousiast i7) have integrated graphics, just like an APU, it's just different names for the same creature.

amd just called it an "APU"

intel just called it "integrated graphics" in their CPU.

and in case you wonder to how powerful these integrated graphics are, i'm running two 1080p panels for livestream watching off a 10 watt low power celeron :P

When you say hotel computer do you mean a computer for like someone in the lobby of a hotel or for someone to constantly transport from hotel to hotel to hotel? 

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

all desktop chips (celeron, pentium, i3, i5, non-enthousiast i7) have integrated graphics, just like an APU, it's just different names for the same creature.

amd just called it an "APU"

intel just called it "integrated graphics" in their CPU.

and in case you wonder to how powerful these integrated graphics are, i'm running two 1080p panels for livestream watching off a 10 watt low power celeron :P

Low key can it run FFXIV?

I may or may not be that guy who will occasionally play games during the night shift. I can't confirm or deny this, it's classified, as you may already know.

I-I mean yeah, as long as it runs what my boss needs it to, I'm fine with stuff like this.

3 minutes ago, IHirs said:

When you say hotel computer do you mean a computer for like someone in the lobby of a hotel or for someone to constantly transport from hotel to hotel to hotel? 

I mean as in what I stated in the title. A PC for a hotel business. We check in guests and check them out, do a bunch of accounting, documenting, organizing, etc. Sometimes an employee may want to watch a yootoob video whilst the lobby is empty.

1 minute ago, TerraDSerph said:

Low key can it run FFXIV?

I may or may not be that guy who will occasionally play games during the night shift. I can't confirm or deny this, it's classified, as you may already know.

I-I mean yeah, as long as it runs what my boss needs it to, I'm fine with stuff like this.

how many seconds per frame are you okay with? ;)

30-60. I'd settle for 45. I mean, what? No, boss, I swear companies need 45 fps, otherwise the card reader won't work. What do you mean that doesn't make any sense? Just trust me, boss....

Alright guys, thanks for all the help/info. I'll pull something together. My boss asked for about 3 ideas anyways, so I'll give him the pros and cons and my own input and see what he comes up with. Cheers! :)