New PC for a Hotel Business

TerraDSerph

Hey guys, I just got a request from my boss. He knows I know a bit more than the rest of the staff about computers, and wants to buy/build a new PC since all of the ones we have are really slow(seriously, probably half of our complaints are how slow it is to check into the hotel ahaha).

He told me we have a $500-$1000 budget, which in my opinion seems very doable compared to how much my current computer was, especially since we don't have to shell out for a monitor, peripherals, and I could easily rip the CD drive off one of the old computers.

Basically we're looking to be able to run Excel, Synxis/Opera(these are hotel programs), About 5-10 tabs on Chrome, all with little to no latency. I know the computer'll want 8-16 GB of RAM, but other than that I'm not exactly sure what would be good for a budget of this type. We will definitely want room to expand storage, but I'm thinking a SSD for boot and our programs would suffice, plus a couple TB for storage.

Anyways, any suggestions for a business-type PC would be much appreciated. I only have a decent understanding of gaming-type PCs, though I can't imagine they're that much different.

im thinking somewhere in the range of i5 6300, maybe even lower. that sould do the trick

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($29.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Team Elite Plus 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Mainstream 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case  ($25.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($48.89 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.58 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: ViewSonic VA2055SM 19.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($87.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $785.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-26 14:01 EST-0500

And get a good UPS as well

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

6 minutes ago, SgtRafsta said:

im thinking somewhere in the range of i5 6300, maybe even lower. that sould do the trick

All I'm seeing are high prices for a CPU like that.

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Western Digital Mainstream 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.99 @ Best Buy) 
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($48.89 @ OutletPC) 

Oh wow thanks! This is a great price and I totally agree about the UPS. I actually didn't know those existed until you pointed it out, but when I looked it up I was like "yeah, we need this." Can't tell you how many times our old(now busted) computer would just up and quit on us because a power strip was looked at the wrong way.

I'll see what I can do with a bit of editing on this. :)

if it's for a buisiness, i stick with recommending HP's buisiness-oriented devices.

whatever people may say about them, they're built to last, and built to -in case of failure- be repaired and up and running fast.

where replacing a standard ATX power supply probably takes a good few minutes at least, HP's office critters can have a power supply swap in literally under a minute, as an example to drive my point.

7 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

a whole lot of nope...

that K chip is a waste of money, so is the cooler, that case is nothing but an immature eyesore in the buisiness world (keep them to your gaming rig ;)), and that power supply is a disaster in terms of reliability

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

a whole lot of nope...

and that piower supply is a disaster in terms of reliability

your are correct. but I don't think that buisness Pc requier a lot of power so you don't have to spend a lot more on a higher tier PSU ;) for everday computing these are just fine

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

a whole lot of nope...

that K chip is a waste of money, so is the cooler, that case is nothing but an immature eyesore in the buisiness world (keep them to your gaming rig ;)), and that piower supply is a disaster in terms of reliability

Yeah I definitely won't be getting anything gaudy. Probably a very basic mid-range case. Something that can fit under the front desk we have at work, which isn't very big to begin with.

What would be a more suitable CPU, in your opinion? I'm not dismissing your HP suggestion, I agree, the computers I used to have at school were pretty old yet really reliable, and they're still probably running at that school 6 years later. I just want to weigh all my options. I also like building PCs, and any excuse to build one from scratch(especially when I'm not the one paying for the parts!) is a good excuse to me. :D 

1 minute ago, Arjan W said:

your are correct. but I don't think that buisness Pc requier a lot of power so you don't have to spend a lot more on a higher tier PSU ;) for everday computing these are just fine

but the difference is in the buisiness world, these things are expected to last for 8-10 years, and that power supply is NOT made to last that long, probably clogged with dust, in a badly ventilated cabinet, etc...

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

a whole lot of nope...

that K chip is a waste of money, so is the cooler, that case is nothing but an immature eyesore in the buisiness world (keep them to your gaming rig ;)), and that piower supply is a disaster in terms of reliability

Well, it is 600MHz faster than the non K variant, so this is why I included it.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

5 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

C7 is literally the worst cooler you can pick for cooling. At load would might even thermal throttle. Do you think 600MHz is that needed?

cpu_oc_typical_b.gifcpu_stock_typical_b.gif

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

We're not exactly looking for the greatest performance in the world. I get your point but I don't think my boss would care about OC capabilities for a work computer.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

C7 is literally the worst cooler you can pick for cooling. At load would might even thermal throttle. Do you think 600MHz is that needed?

TBH, no...

1 minute ago, TerraDSerph said:

Yeah I definitely won't be getting anything gaudy. Probably a very basic mid-range case. Something that can fit under the front desk we have at work, which isn't very big to begin with.

What would be a more suitable CPU, in your opinion? I'm not dismissing your HP suggestion, I agree, the computers I used to have at school were pretty old yet really reliable, and they're still probably running at that school 6 years later. I just want to weigh all my options. I also like building PCs, and any excuse to build one from scratch(especially when I'm not the one paying for the parts!) is a good excuse to me. :D 

well, with some careful picking you can build something as reliable as what HP provides, the difference (and main reason why i recommend them) is that HP's boxes are a "canned", "you know what you are gonna get" solution.

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

because they really need that 600MHz for their chrome tabs...

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

i have questions by 60°c on water ;)

5 hours ago, manikyath said:

well, with some careful picking you can build something as reliable as what HP provides, the difference (and main reason why i recommend them) is that HP's boxes are a "canned", "you know what you are gonna get" solution.

because they really need that 600MHz for their chrome tabs...

There 32 gigs of RAM

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($251.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X150-PLUS WS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($95.71 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Intel 600p Series 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($90.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Hitachi 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($81.84 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($109.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($57.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($56.88 @ OutletPC) 
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($46.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $942.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-26 14:18 EST-0500

i have questions by 60°c on water ;)

IT will only vaporate/boil at 100C so....

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I too would just say a prebuilt Dell or HP. 

Only really know their support from an enterprise standpoint, but with Dell's server market at least you can have a replacement part in 20 minutes lmao

i7 is overkill. Custom build is overkill really, even if you're getting slightly more performance, if you don't need that performance you may as well spend the extra on not having to worry about fixing and replacing parts yourself. If it dies, send it straight back to them and let them deal with it. 

Unless you're looking for snazzy aesthetics, IMO an i3, maybe an i5 prebuilt with 8GBs will do fine.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

There 32 gigs of RAM

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($251.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X150-PLUS WS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($95.71 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Intel 600p Series 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($90.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Hitachi 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($81.84 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($109.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($57.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($56.88 @ OutletPC) 
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($46.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $942.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-26 14:18 EST-0500

please tell me you're joking... please do...

Just now, obi-fade-kenobi said:

Only really know their support from an enterprise standpoint, but with Dell's server market at least you can have a replacement part in 20 minutes lmao

i7 is overkill. Custom build is overkill really, even if you're getting slightly more performance, if you don't need that performance you may as well spend the extra on not having to worry about fixing and replacing parts yourself. If it dies, send it straight back to them and let them deal with it. 

Unless you're looking for snazzy aesthetics, IMO an i3, maybe an i5 prebuilt with 8GBs will do fine.

i've seen HP overnight a replacement server part for a 20 year old server, enterprise is great :D

please tell me you're joking... please do...

A xeon for productivity

A 32gigs RAM for Chrome

An NVME drive for boot

A Bray disc for movies (maybe)

A semi modular PSU for cables

A 1050 because Xeon has no igpu

2 minutes ago, obi-fade-kenobi said:

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

i've seen HP overnight a replacement server part for a 20 year old server, enterprise is great :D

Hmm...you both have good points. I won't be there forever and I don't really want to tell the staff how to replace certain parts. 

Well, I'm sure I'll think of something lol