What to install on SSD

Cs342

I will be building a new system tomorrow, and just want to ask a few questions about my new SSD (Samsung 840 250GB). I have heard that some programs such as web browsers actively write data to the drive that they are installed on, so it would not be a wise idea to put Chrome or Firefox on the SSD. The same goes for chat applications like Skype. So which programs should I put on my SSD, besides the OS, and which should I keep on my hard drive?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Put the apps you use the most on the SSD

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Just put the programmes you use most often, and will be opening a lot on your SSD.

Good luck with your build

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Put your Windows and all your programs on your ssd. --Maybe a few games if you don't like the loading screens. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Put your Windows and all your programs on your ssd. --Maybe a few games if you don't like the loading screens. 

what person in their right mind likes loading screens? o wait, console peasants do :P

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

So how bout programs like the browser? Will they write to the disk and wear it down?

So how bout programs like the browser? Will they write to the disk and wear it down?

hardware info did some testing on it, if you write 10 gigs a day to your SSD it will last you 249 years

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Browsers mostly store their data on the RAM, not the storage disk. They only write to disk because they need somewhere to store the browsing history/cache/cookies

you really dont need to worry about the liftime of your SSD, there is no way a SSD is going to fail on you... (except if you do some real nasty stuff to it like server caching....)

you really dont need to worry about the liftime of your SSD, there is no way a SSD is going to fail on you... (except if you do some real nasty stuff to it like server caching....)

I've had two fail within 6 months

I've had two fail within 6 months

let me guess, when they costed 1£/gig, yes then they were less reliable, but me and my dad have had 6 SSD's and none of them failed, ever, period

let me guess, when they costed 1£/gig, yes then they were less reliable, but me and my dad have had 6 SSD's and none of them failed, ever, period

Samsung 830 and 840

Samsung 830 and 840

wow, either me and my dad are very lucky or you're very unlucky,

So basically I can install EVERYTHING on the SSD as long as it doesn't get completely filled up?

I have an 840 too so now Im worried.

the basic rule is:

everything that doesn't get put on and off your ssd

like when you download a movie and you're going to put it directly on your external drive.
ssd suffer under writing stuff on them, so if you actively put stuff on it and take it back off, you will decrease your ssd's life span.

and also , ssd or hdd, you never fill it up to the max,

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

I have an 840 too so now Im worried.

my dad has one too and hasnt had any issues, so i think he was just unlucky, i wouldnt worry

I just install my OS and Office, media player, VLC, etc onto it. 

And usually just the software that you would access them often for the speed. (CCleaner, TeamViewer, Skype, Pidgin, etc.)

I don't have a good SSD like you but I'm worried about installing the browsers onto them, the SSD wouldn't decrease in performance for that matter. 

Been using my old Intel 330 120GB for about a year now, still at 100% Drive Health according to Intel SSD Toolbox.

Every program goes on the ssd. The browser will be a quite a bit snappier when on it even though most of it works in your ram. 

Any write will wear the ssd down but any modern ssd will likely last longer than you need it to anyway. 

So basically I can install EVERYTHING on the SSD as long as it doesn't get completely filled up?

Sure. I'm pretty sure you can't install anything if it's already filled up :P

Btw, don't defrag it. It doesn't help. All it does is use up write cycles. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I just install my OS and Office, media player, VLC, etc onto it. 

And usually just the software that you would access them often for the speed. (CCleaner, TeamViewer, Skype, Pidgin, etc.)

I don't have a good SSD like you but I'm worried about installing the browsers onto them, the SSD wouldn't decrease in performance for that matter. 

Been using my old Intel 330 120GB for about a year now, still at 100% Drive Health according to Intel SSD Toolbox.

Why are you worried then? :P

Why are you worried then? :P

Typo. xD

I've never had an SSD. Loading screens are the norm for me. Even if they're as long as GT5 loading screens.

I have my OS + 2 games installed on my 128 GB ssd.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

I've never had an SSD. Loading screens are the norm for me. Even if they're as long as GT5 loading screens.

you know its time for a gen of consoles when..... 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I was wondering the same. Games and OS.

But what if you want a dual boot on the SSD? What will happen?

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)