Microsoft’s marketing chief admits Windows 10 upgrade was pushed too aggressively

If they allowed to disable telemetry easily, it would probably be better then any marketing campaign.

34 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

I still hate Windows 10 enough to go to Mac and be unable to play games.

same

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 12/26/2016 at 5:19 AM, imPixelTV said:

windows 10 crashed like fuck in the ~10 months i had it. it was slow, unstable and unpolished. they shouldnt have shipped it in july 2015. i'd probably use it now if they had perfected it more. it just seemed rushed like vista. i'm staying on 7 unless my new pc doesnt work on 7.

Unlucky you. I've had it that long and not had a single crash or slowness problem.

On 12/26/2016 at 11:59 AM, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

So, since the clothes on your back will eventually be taken off anyway, you should just walk around naked?

If you're in the right climate, yes. Clothing has a practical use beyond modesty in most parts of the world, but there are many tropical tribes which don't use it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

While I'm annoyed at how the rollout was handled, I can't even begin to imagine the millions of business users that had this upgrade forced on them, and the loss of data, time, efficiency, and optimization associated with that. 

While I'm annoyed personally at how the rollout was handled, I can't even begin to imagine the millions of business users that had this upgrade forced on them, and the loss of data, time, efficiency, and optimization associated with that. 

*this post got duped, is there any way to delete this? ~Thanks!*

43 minutes ago, Magnetorheological said:

While I'm annoyed at how the rollout was handled, I can't even begin to imagine the millions of business users that had this upgrade forced on them, and the loss of data, time, efficiency, and optimization associated with that. 

I doubt there was any loss of data. As for time, that's an illusion. Generally the improvement in efficiency and resource management more than makes up for the one month of growing pains.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

6 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I doubt there was any loss of data. As for time, that's an illusion. Generally the improvement in efficiency and resource management more than makes up for the one month of growing pains.

I can't say for everyone else, but a few computers at my company were bricked by failed updates and had to be formatted. Good thing it wasn't mine lol

Just now, Magnetorheological said:

I can't say for everyone else, but a few computers at my company were bricked by failed updates and had to be formatted. Good thing it wasn't mine lol

At this point if you run on hard machines you're well behind the times. Citrix has rendered dedicated workstations pretty much obsolete in a corporate environment.

@Magnetorheological Don't bother arguing with Patrick, unless you want to kill your IQ with his BS.

He claimed Win 10 is far more secure than Win 7 & 8, but he won't back that up with a source, and seeing as the same security updates are coming on all three OS's, and all three are based on slight variations of the same kernel and base coding that share nearly every vulnerability found in Win 7, there isn't any reliable source he could use.

He's also claiming that Windows 10's efficiency and resource management is good enough to counteract all the problems it had in the first months of adoption, even though some hardware configurations are still having said problems (mainly older hardware that businesses are prone to use because those systems prove reliable and powerful enough to warrant keeping).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Pretty much what Drak said.  I'd suggest blocking him and hoping that nobody quotes him, which unfortunately happens way too often. 

As for Win10 and security, so far it has shown to be vulnerable to the exact same stuff that the older versions are vulnerable to, with the occasional open door for anyone who wants access to your data (*cough* shift+F10 *cough*). 

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

@Magnetorheological Don't bother arguing with Patrick, unless you want to kill your IQ with his BS.

He claimed Win 10 is far more secure than Win 7 & 8, but he won't back that up with a source, and seeing as the same security updates are coming on all three OS's, and all three are based on slight variations of the same kernel and base coding that share nearly every vulnerability found in Win 7, there isn't any reliable source he could use.

He's also claiming that Windows 10's efficiency and resource management is good enough to counteract all the problems it had in the first months of adoption, even though some hardware configurations are still having said problems (mainly older hardware that businesses are prone to use because those systems prove reliable and powerful enough to warrant keeping).

Even though YOU have no sources for any of this and I provided the Google security audit.

Yeah, and what good does admitting it 6 months later do? Microsoft is the company that pirated its own os to make it as widespread as possible, this was just routine for them. In my opinion Windows should be free and it should have been years ago, but now even more so since they started treating the user as the product.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Choosing an operating system is like choosing politicians. There is no good choice. At best you can pick the least worst.

The biggest problem is all of the consumer OSes are in a race to the bottom, dumbing down to the lowest common denominator, which continues to go lower. For each thing they do better, they make two things worse. At home I have a mix of Windows 7 and 10 systems, my work laptop happens to be on 8, and MacOS mouse movement has the usability of Flappy Bird. And as a friend (ex-Unix developer) says, Linux is free if your time is free.

On the "free" Windows thing, they have been doing that on certain lower level hardware where they don't charge manufacturers on certain low end hardware. Would be handy if they raised the bar a bit on that...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

27 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Yeah, and what good does admitting it 6 months later do? Microsoft is the company that pirated its own os to make it as widespread as possible, this was just routine for them. In my opinion Windows should be free and it should have been years ago, but now even more so since they started treating the user as the product.

Why?! Microsoft spends hundreds of millions of dollars developing it every year. Why should it not get a return on investment?

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

Why?! Microsoft spends hundreds of millions of dollars developing it every year. Why should it not get a return on investment?

But they do, many fold, and not from individual users buying licenses. OEM contracts and business support are the bulk of their income and that is exsclusively because of Windows' ubiquity. Now they started making money off of data farming and even embedding advertisements in your pc (seriously wtf) so quite frankly asking 150 bucks for the os is a joke. Sure, put a price on the physical copy for storing costs etc, but make the digital copy free as in beer.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

But they do, many fold, and not from individual users buying licenses. OEM contracts and business support are the bulk of their income and that is exsclusively because of Windows' ubiquity. Now they started making money off of data farming and even embedding advertisements in your pc (seriously wtf) so quite frankly asking 150 bucks for the os is a joke. Sure, put a price on the physical copy for storing costs etc, but make the digital copy free as in beer.

No! Microsoft deserves to make money on a product no one has a better replacement for.

12 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

no one has a better replacement for.

Define better, because Windows is the tail light in the list of best OSs architecturally. The vast majority of the population would be straight up better off with a different os if it was compatible with every industry standard program and game.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Define better, because Windows is the tail light in the list of best OSs architecturally. The vast majority of the population would be straight up better off with a different os if it was compatible with every industry standard program.

Clearly not, because WINE exists for Linux, and yet the conversion's still not happening despite Linux Lite and Mint. And I know you don't think OS X is better.

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

Clearly not, because WINE exists for Linux, and yet the conversion's still not happening despite Linux Lite and Mint. And I know you don't think OS X is better.

Both GNU/Linux and OS X are superior to Windows in many (but not all) regards.

The problem is that Microsoft has used several illegal tactics to create and maintain a monopoly which ensures that changing from Windows to another OS is very difficult for people. WINE is far from perfect and is not the silver bullet that solves all compatibility issues. Not to mention all the patents Microsoft owns (and uses) to hinder (or force them to pay) competitors from developing a wide variety of features.

Most people just use whatever comes with their PC, and people don't like changing platform. Because of the illegal tactics I mentioned earlier, Microsoft has ensured that the OS that comes with peoples' computers is Windows.

If you want an analogy, Microsoft was a mad scientist who created a new, deadly kind of virus, and then went door to door deliberately infecting people with this disease. Now, they are the only ones who has the cure and you're saying they deserve the money because "well they are the only ones who has the cure so of course they deserve the money they charge for the treatment". A bit of an extreme example but I think you get the point.

28 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

WINE exist but it's an hit and miss and you're mostly better off with just virtualizing Windows. If only Apple removed the stick it has up his butt and let people install OSX on whatever machine 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I mean, despite the constant thread basis discussing how annoying it was and also some reports of computer bricking, was it really that BAD!?

I personally did not suffer any annoyance from the Windows update system :p.

Groomlake Authority

25 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

I mean, despite the constant thread basis discussing how annoying it was and also some reports of computer bricking, was it really that BAD!?

I personally did not suffer any annoyance from the Windows update system :p.

I Personally am OK so fuck the millions upon millions with issues. Every. Fucking. Thread some comes up with this stupid anecdotal evidence argument. It's crap, it just makes you look selfish and it's meaningless to the conversation. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I Personally am OK so fuck the millions upon millions with issues. Every. Fucking. Thread some comes up with this stupid anecdotal evidence argument. It's crap, it just makes you look selfish and it's meaningless to the conversation. 

And those of us who suffered no issues could say the same thing about those who had issues.

The fact the minority are more vocal than the majority in no way invalidates the experience of the majority.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

Wine has a loooooooot of problems, it doesn't fix the compatibility barrier.

As a matter of fact I do think mac os is better when it comes to the system itself. I don't think it's worth buying a mac but I do see its advantages. If it weren't so picky about the hardware it runs on I may be using it at least on my laptop (which currently runs arch linux and which I don't care about play games on).

sudo chmod -R 000 /*