LED RGB what's good and what to avoid?

Pachuca

Hi,

I would like to purchase some RGB LED for my case. I have asus Aura mobo and would like to use it for led lights. My problem is that everything seems so expensive. I was looking at cablemod widebeam magnetic led and they are about $20 for just 60cm and they charge a flat $20 for shipping. I would need at least 2 x 60cm strips and that would run me around $60... way above what I expected. I was hoping they might have a sale, but they are just too pricey.  With that said, does anyone know where I can get decent quality RGB LED strips? I was looking at wish.com, but they are selling LED lights so cheap I'm worried there's something wrong with it.

On 12/26/2016 at 3:13 AM, modguru said:

Hi @Pachuca !

Do you want magnetic of with foam adhesive?

- Martin

would prefer just magnetic, but depends. is the foam connecting the magnet to the led or something else?

6 hours ago, Pachuca said:

would prefer just magnetic, but depends. is the foam connecting the magnet to the led or something else?

Hi! We offer LED strips that are out of the box compatible with the Aura software. I will check later today if we have some more in stock ;)

- Martin

Contact us for a quotation or a chat [Modguru shop] [Facebook] Creating the highest quality products ever

Hi @Pachuca !

We have more than 2 in stock ;) The LED strips cost 15,99 USD per piece and the international shipping is 13 USD. Tell me if you want me to setup the order for you ;)

- Martin

Contact us for a quotation or a chat [Modguru shop] [Facebook] Creating the highest quality products ever

On 12/28/2016 at 0:11 AM, HungryHamster said:

Unfortunately, despite being advertised as being "ASUS Aura compatible," the Cable Mod LED strips do not work well with the Aura software. I have ASUS Maximus VIII Formula with a Cable Mod LED strip attached and the colors are rarely able to synchronize.

thanks for the info... not as advertised i guess.

14 hours ago, modguru said:

Hi @Pachuca !

We have more than 2 in stock ;) The LED strips cost 15,99 USD per piece and the international shipping is 13 USD. Tell me if you want me to setup the order for you ;)

- Martin

i'll just send you a private message so we can discuss this further. I made this post to see what people might suggest for LED strips. I'm not very familiar with what makes a LED strip good or bad.

14 minutes ago, modguru said:

Hi! Thanks for the correction ;) 

Np, I've never heard about you guys but once I do a custom project I am get some stuff from the website.

I've done quite a bit by ordering LED's with resistors for 12v. It's pretty cheap, and not very difficult if you've got soldering irons and some experience and patience to do it right.

14 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I've done quite a bit by ordering LED's with resistors for 12v. It's pretty cheap, and not very difficult if you've got soldering irons and some experience and patience to do it right.

I was considering that as an option... is it difficult?

No. If you order them with the resistors, then you won't have to worry about messing with wrong voltage and frying the LEDs. Then, you just play around with parallel circuits and you're fine. I used hot glue to keep the LEDs in the LED holes on the fans. Make sure you get a size that is applicable to what you'll be using. 5mm or something of that nature. Not too hard, and there are plenty of YouTube videos to help. I spent 7 bucks on a pack of LEDs with resistors, and I had everything else.

I recently got the NZXT hue +, easily the best LED system I have seen/used. Comes with 4 strips that are all magnetic/adhesive and plenty of customisation options. My leds can change color to display my health on CS:go or my cpu/gpu temps. 

System

• CPU
    i5- 7500
  • RAM
    16GB DDR4 Crucial Balistix Sport
  • GPU
    MSI 980TI 6GB gaming edition
  • Case
    NZXT
  • PSU
    Corsair cm600x
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master Seidon 240mm
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K70
  • Mouse
    Corsair schimitar

21 hours ago, stebucko360 said:

I recently got the NZXT hue +, easily the best LED system I have seen/used. Comes with 4 strips that are all magnetic/adhesive and plenty of customisation options. My leds can change color to display my health on CS:go or my cpu/gpu temps. 

but damn they are expensive

great advice from everyone, thank you. I really want something that's Aura compatible so that I can use the color cycling features. I find it to be more appealing than just having static colors all the time, plus it will sync with the mobo so it should look really nice inside the case.