Limiting internet speeds between users

Yatys 93

getting a 200mb virgin internet between me and my brother, and want to figure out a way that it splits so one of us for example is downloading on steam doesn't use 90% of the connection, 

I know there are modems that can do traffic control which I haven't looked into much yet, however I do have my old 5 port 100mb switch, so I was wondering if I did virgin router (which I don't plan on switching as neither of us have laptops that we use for anything internet intensive so not going to be an issue) into the 100mb switch, from there one wire into my gb switch so my room network thing has internet, and another wire from the 100mb switch to the powerline plug to go from the loft conversion to his room then he can buy a switch to sort his end out.

In my head that gives us both a 100mb connection, is that actually that simple?

2 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

getting a 200mb virgin internet between me and my brother, and want to figure out a way that it splits so one of us for example is downloading on steam doesn't use 90% of the connection, 

I know there are modems that can do traffic control which I haven't looked into much yet, however I do have my old 5 port 100mb switch, so I was wondering if I did virgin router (which I don't plan on switching as neither of us have laptops that we use for anything internet intensive so not going to be an issue) into the 100mb switch, from there one wire into my gb switch so my room network thing has internet, and another wire from the 100mb switch to the powerline plug to go from the loft conversion to his room then he can buy a switch to sort his end out.

In my head that gives us both a 100mb connection, is that actually that simple?

No because you actually don't receive a 200MB from your isp. the solution is what you've said going into your router and apply the bandwidth for the two of you that you want.

2 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

As long as the switches are 100 Mbps only then it should work fine

the traffic will all go through the 100mb switch, however I use a gb switch for speeds with using the NAS, but for me up here it would go router to the 100mb then into the gb switch

The problem here is the switch will only push 100Mb out to the modem/router so it won't work. If the switch had 100Mb ports and a single gig port then it would work.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Yup, as long as the internet itself passes through the 100mb switch you're good.

100MB switch won't help much. Your much better off getting a router with a QOS function That would also let you limit the use so you can't access each others computers with subnettings.

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

The problem here is the switch will only push 100Mb out to the modem/router so it won't work. If the switch had 100Mb ports and a single gig port then it would work.

what if I had 2 connections to the router? it has 4 ports I can use? I know its not gonna give either of us more that the 100mb but will it allow for more traffic throughput?

1 minute ago, Yatys 93 said:

what if I had 2 connections to the router? it has 4 ports I can use? I know its not gonna give either of us more that the 100mb but will it allow for more traffic throughput?

That should work, but router with QOS is much better.

ALSO with a 200mb/s connection, you can have 2 people use it and your fine. You probably won't notice someone else using it.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That should work, but router with QOS is much better.

ALSO with a 200mb/s connection, you can have 2 people use it and your fine. You probably won't notice someone else using it.

recommendations on a router?

15 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

recommendations on a router?

Build your own pf sense router and use your old router as a wireless access point. It would be far better than most things you can get as a general consumer.

29 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

That won't work with your switch you describe. It will create a loop which either it will detect and refuse to send data or crash the two devices from overload of looping data.

If you had a L3(+) switch and L3(+) switch in the router combo unit you could have truck lines with multiple wired which then make it one virtual line and that defeat the point of it. But if you had that you would have QOS and ip/mac address speed limiting functionality also.

You need hardware to support either QOS or bandwidth throttling really

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

ASUSWRT-MERLIN on my Asus RT-AC66U readily offers the function you want.  I'm actually unsure if this is available in the QoS function of stock ASUSWRT though.  But you can literally set upload and bandwidth caps on a per client basis inplace of traditional QoS.  I'd argue that a traditional QoS if correctly configured would give much more efficiency, but if all you want to do is split your internet clean down the middle between two clients, than yeah.

5 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

ASUSWRT-MERLIN on my Asus RT-AC66U readily offers the function you want.  I'm actually unsure if this is available in the QoS function of stock ASUSWRT though.  But you can literally set upload and bandwidth caps on a per client basis inplace of traditional QoS.  I'd argue that a traditional QoS if correctly configured would give much more efficiency, but if all you want to do is split your internet clean down the middle between two clients, than yeah.

this could work, it even give me the option to set a 5G channel to clean up the signal in my area, there are a fair few over lapping wifi signals...

16 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

That won't work with your switch you describe. It will create a loop which either it will detect and refuse to send data or crash the two devices from overload of looping data.

If you had a L3(+) switch and L3(+) switch in the router combo unit you could have truck lines with multiple wired which then make it one virtual line and that defeat the point of it. But if you had that you would have QOS and ip/mac address speed limiting functionality also.

You need hardware to support either QOS or bandwidth throttling really

this is the switch if thats useful information https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SF1005D-Unmanaged-Desktop-Switch/dp/B000FNFSPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482613728&sr=8-1&keywords=tp+link+switch

although I had a feeling that would be the case

1 minute ago, Yatys 93 said:

this is the switch if thats useful information https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SF1005D-Unmanaged-Desktop-Switch/dp/B000FNFSPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482613728&sr=8-1&keywords=tp+link+switch

although I had a feeling that would be the case

Using that switch will mean both of you would be sharing a 100mbps connection to the router so their would be no point in using it, it would just bottleneck you.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

32 minutes ago, acdcman200 said:

Build your own pf sense router and use your old router as a wireless access point. It would be far better than most things you can get as a general consumer.

as fun as that would be, apart from the old FX 4100 CPU and board, I don't really have any spare hardware around, so would need to spend a lot more than I would just buying a modem, 

2 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

Using that switch will mean both of you would be sharing a 100mbps connection to the router so their would be no point in using it, it would just bottleneck you.

and plugging a second wire from the router to this switch would just create more problems? leaning towards the ASUS router as this seems to be the best option here for what I want to do, as I have no issues being on the same network as we do fairly often play co op so being able to do that over a local connection would be handy

19 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

do you know if the function is available on the rest of these routers or just the expensive one :P https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC66U-802-11ac-Gigabits-Multiple-x/dp/B008ABOJKS?th=1

Just now, Yatys 93 said:

do you know if the function is available on the rest of these routers or just the expensive one :P https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC66U-802-11ac-Gigabits-Multiple-x/dp/B008ABOJKS?th=1

I honestly can't tell you for certian.  I do know that the firmware on a wide range of Asus routers are shared and they have largely the same set of software features, varying only in hardware features, this firmware is called 'ASUSWRT' and it's even open source.  But since I only have an AC66U (Which is a great router, though the USB3 equipped AC68U would be a better buy in 2016) I can't tell you what other Asus routers feature.  That said, ASUSWRT is open source as well, which is why I'm using the feature improved ASUSWRT-MERLIN and the software features should be the same on any MERLIN supported router that has MERLIN installed:

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/about

But keep in mind, there are plenty of other routers out there who have Quality of Service (QoS) features as well.