[Solved ]Trailing shapes when playing with a new 1070? [actually a monitor setting issue]

Hey,

I've noticed weird artifacts when gaming with my new Gigabyte 1070 Windforce OC card. Some shapes leave their shadows when moving. That happens across many games - Total War: Attila and Battlefield 1 among others.

That's how it looks like:

I've upgraded my computer from 970 to 1070, uninstalling the drivers with ddu in the process. The rest of the system is:

Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI,

Core i3 4370

8 GB RAM 

The drivers are newest from Geforce Experience. I contacted the support and they told me to update card's BIOS, which I did, but the problem remains.

Anyone of you encountered this kind of glitches before? What do you think it might be caused by? Any idea how to solve it?

Your CPU is under powered for that graphics card. 

Are you at the stock frequency? On the card. 

Also, don't see what you're talking about in the vid. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Yes I know the CPU is a bottleneck. I am going to address that in the future. I don't think it should cause graphical artifacts though.

I did not overclock the card myself. Since it's an "OC" version, it comes overclocked out of the box. I changed the OC profile in Gigabyte's util from "OC" to "Gaming" and the clocks are:  1557 mHz / 1747 mHz fot GPU and 8008 mHz for memory. 

Oh, I forgot to describe it. 

Focus on the lighthouse outline when it moves. It leaves a whiter "ghost shape". Other models do the same, but it's best visible on the lighthouse.

12 minutes ago, BigosTrismegistos said:

I can't see anything out of the ordinary in the video. What objects/parts of the image are artifacting?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

That's from low fps, most likely caused by a CPU bottleneck in a CPU demanding title. Sorry.

Hard to tell in a YouTube video but that appears to be it. 

LOL, yea, I ran this video on my laptop and realized that this issue is not visible on other computers. It seems to have less to do with games and more with my monitor/GPU or something. I'll try to record it with my phone.

Seems very reasonable.

Could I ask you to confirm whether these two examples fall into "monitor ghosting" category?

Best visible on the red icon. It's even there in the thumbnail this time :)

It's Dell S2716DG - pretty expensive, ( but still TN panel) G-Sync monitor. Does that entitle me to return it? It's still on the warranty.

Ah, bet GSYNC isn't enabled. 

First make sure the game is in fullscreen. Then make sure Vsync is NOT enabled. (not yelling) 

If both those fail.

If you don't have MSI Afterburner, download it and most importantly RivaTuner.

In RivaTuner set the global fps cap to 60. Just to see if it solves the problem. If it does, we go from there. If not, might be the monitor. 

Thank you very much, it seems the problem is solved.

Indeed it was monitor ghosting. When I changed my video card I also changed my monitor setting "Response time" from "normal" to "fast", because hell, fast is better, right?

It seems that on these panels (144hz, TN, G-Sync on) it causes this kind of ghosting. Thanks for troubleshooting that for me App4that!

Reddit thread that describes this issue, for the future if someone has this problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/4hdtkz/text_ghosting_on_the_dell_s2716dg/